Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

This, with the assumption that the first of those options will likely yeild the best results.

Yes maybe.

One problem with the MagSon list is that if the opponent can handle the alpha strike due to really good save for example SCE with staunch defender or sylvaneth or because of low drops and/or good screening. The vulkites dont do that much damage i practice and the short range of the axes becomes a real problem to get value from double shoots. The other two list probably do more damage outside the alpha strike.

But the MagSon list could be the strongest one anyway. 

Quite interested in this army now.

Sooo, to build a good army there are several rules to wollow, correct me if i am wrong : 

• Spam vulkite 30 by 30
  • Get a warrior kinband if possible.
  • Berserkers are skippable unless taken in LotL where you take 30
  • AHG are undesirable
  • Magmason is a good general
  • Magmadad is meh
  • Magmasmit is ok
  • A good set of heroes consist of 1-3 magmathings 0-1 footson/footdad and 1-2 runesmiters 
  • Runemasters are atrocious
  • Other heroes are uninteresting
  • Formations that are not Kinband and LotL are meh to bad.

Is there any interesting guide to "how to play/deploy/atcivaterunes/etc"?

42 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Sooo, to build a good army there are several rules to wollow, correct me if i am wrong : 

• Spam vulkite 30 by 30
  • AHG are undesirable
  • Magmadad is meh
  • Magmasmit is ok
  • A good set of heroes consist of 1-3 magmathings 0-1 footson/footdad and 1-2 runesmiters 

Almost... IMO

AHG are undesirable unless you tunnel them, preferly in large units.

A good set of heroes consist of 1-3 magmathings 0-2 battlesmith and 1-2 runesmiters

Other heroes are uninteresting (or not as interesting)

21 hours ago, Andreas said:

Yes maybe.

One problem with the MagSon list is that if the opponent can handle the alpha strike due to really good save for example SCE with staunch defender or sylvaneth or because of low drops and/or good screening. The vulkites dont do that much damage i practice and the short range of the axes becomes a real problem to get value from double shoots. The other two list probably do more damage outside the alpha strike.

But the MagSon list could be the strongest one anyway. 

A couple things: 
If there is a unit you need to break on the initial charge, you make sure at least one model from each Tunneling units ends up with .5" of that unit that needs eliminated.  Their shield charge will do on average 12 mortal wounds.  Regarding the axe range, you should pop the throwing axe rune when you arrive with the tunneled units so they get their full set of throwing attacks (120 hand axes on the turn the 60 vulkites arrive).  That may be the case regarding the alpha strike and sustained damage, but I think only time will tell.  

2 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

A couple things: 
If there is a unit you need to break on the initial charge, you make sure at least one model from each Tunneling units ends up with .5" of that unit that needs eliminated.  Their shield charge will do on average 12 mortal wounds.  Regarding the axe range, you should pop the throwing axe rune when you arrive with the tunneled units so they get their full set of throwing attacks (120 hand axes on the turn the 60 vulkites arrive).  That may be the case regarding the alpha strike and sustained damage, but I think only time will tell.  

Yes the alpha strike will be devastating. And in some scenarios it will be very strong against most list. But the rune is only one time, same with the impact hit (unless you can charge again). After that you will have problem to break them. I am not saying it woun't work, it will work sometimes or maybe most of the time. I played that tactic pre points reduction with 2*20 Vulkites and it worked some what even then but I switched to using 20 Aurics instead, becaused it work a little bit better at the time due to doing more damage in the following turns. But now with more vulkites that tactic is of course even better, while the auric alpha strike is pretty much the same.

Then we have the Hearthguard-list which I havn't tried and don't really get but it is the list that have got some decent resultat in england so it must be strong.

I am still on the fence which one is best but that's really good.

14 hours ago, Andreas said:

Almost... IMO

AHG are undesirable unless you tunnel them, preferly in large units.

A good set of heroes consist of 1-3 magmathings 0-2 battlesmith and 1-2 runesmiters

Other heroes are uninteresting (or not as interesting)

Thanks.

It is such a shame that army is so expensive...

18 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Then we have the Hearthguard-list which I havn't tried and don't really get but it is the list that have got some decent resultat in england so it must be strong.

What are you refering to?

4 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Thanks.

It is such a shame that army is so expensive...

What are you refering to?

Carl Smith. His last list was something like this:

MagFather

2x MagSon

Battlesmith

30 Hearthguards

2x30 Vulkites.

I am not from the UK so have just seen some results and he has placed well even before GH2 and seems to run large units of Hearthguards.

On 09/24/2017 at 6:23 PM, kozokus said:

• Spam vulkite 30 by 30
  • AHG are undesirable
  • Magmadad is meh
  • Magmasmit is ok

I disagree. I rly like the magfather and I think kinband is overhyped. 30 hb is actually rly rly good. Grimwrath is a steal too

36 minutes ago, Louzi said:

I disagree. I rly like the magfather and I think kinband is overhyped. 30 hb is actually rly rly good. Grimwrath is a steal too

I don't deny that HGBerserkers are nice, but they have to compare with vulkite in some ways. They do offer a little bit more dammage indeed, and deal mortal wounds, which is sick but they are far less survivable, having less wounds for points and having a 4++ that rely on the presence of a snipable hero, which is far more difficult to get than just beeing numerous.

Grimwrath is indeed an efficient combat hero, even if we usually frown on them. Yet, for his points, you can have a hero that make your 30-man units reroll to wound in shoot and combat or reroll saves. That somehow, eclipse the mighty berserker.

As for the magmadad, i like the fact that he makes HGBerserkers Battleline, which is something to consider. His Command anility seems less interesting that the one of the Magmason.

What is your position on the Warrior Kinband?

First, hb are not less survivable than vulkites. Dont forget that you have the 4++ till last man standing and the presence of a hero is never an issue.

And: hb are the only unit that can handle sce and sylvaneth.

Kinband is good, but you lack mw. You wont have that much impact on armies with good saves. 3x30 vulkites isnt the best choice in my opinion. We dont have access to many units, but I think you need them for a balanced army.

hey what does everyone think of this list. I got a whole lot of wizards and decided fyreslayers are the best frontline to protect them.

Battlemage on a griffon

White mage on a luminark

Celestial mage on a Celestial Hurricanum

2 battle mages ( 1 with fireball and the other with lifesurge)

Battlesmith

2x 30 vulkites with shield and pick

10 dual axe Vulkites.

Do you guys think this list will give me the magic fix that I have for whatever reason. I normally run pure fyreslayers and the lack of mortal wound output can hurt. The wizards give me that and some shooting at range. Also do you think that the parts will work well together?

4 hours ago, Louzi said:

First, hb are not less survivable than vulkites. Dont forget that you have the 4++ till last man standing and the presence of a hero is never an issue.

Yeah, they both have a 4++ , still beeing 20+ is far easier than keeping a hero in range, something the ennemy can manage. Plus, we should compare those units on point cost compraison. At full squad, a Vulkit cost 11 and a HGB 16, which means it is easier for your opponent to kill a larger part of your army if they target the HGB.

4 hours ago, Louzi said:

hb are the only unit that can handle sce and sylvaneth.

Fair point, 2+ RR is a pain.

On 9/24/2017 at 11:23 AM, kozokus said:

• Spam vulkite 30 by 30
  • 'Get a warrior kinband if possible.
  • AHG are undesirable
  • Magmadad is meh
  • Magmasmit is ok

mmmmmm...I'll just give my opinion here but HB with poleaxes are amazingly good, best at massive regiment discount and better w/LoL battalion. Every body is one more nerf axe you can throw/split fire at the enemy.  Runemasters are situational but their board control psych element is incredible. Opponents just don't want to risk that dangerous terrain you strategically place in front of them, even as you hurl 1-wound infantry over it at them :) Plus in LoL you have the runemaster anyway. The battlesmith is amazing and line him (or get 2) on objectives, strategic points, if you bottleneck, etc. w/terrain to die where your army can then benefit from reroll hit & wounds but don't require a move anymore beyond pile-in. Grimwraths also, great to tunnel up when you have 2-3 smiters and your opponent doesn't leave you footprint for several massive units to tunnel up.

Just some thoughts. :) Good luck and do enjoy!  

Hi there folks, just a quick question. Can you use the magmic tunnelling on more than 1 runesmith and can you use it to transport a single hero model?

Pretty sure the answer to both is yes, but want to double check before I start buying up models. Cheers

36 minutes ago, Waizer said:

Hi there folks, just a quick question. Can you use the magmic tunnelling on more than 1 runesmith and can you use it to transport a single hero model?

Pretty sure the answer to both is yes, but want to double check before I start buying up models. Cheers

Yup, as many Smiters on foot you can and they take a unit, which could be a hero, msgmsbomb or unit ?

What warscrolls come in the Start Collecting box? On the GW web site, the runeson seems to be the only on foot war scroll of the 3 heroes I can find, but they seem to have points in the GHB on foot. Hopefully it's not only in the battletome since I'm not starting a Fyreslayers army. I just like Dwarfs, so I need some Fyreslayers, but I'll probably just run them as allied for my Overlords or Stormcast.

2 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

What warscrolls come in the Start Collecting box? On the GW web site, the runeson seems to be the only on foot war scroll of the 3 heroes I can find, but they seem to have points in the GHB on foot. Hopefully it's not only in the battletome since I'm not starting a Fyreslayers army. I just like Dwarfs, so I need some Fyreslayers, but I'll probably just run them as allied for my Overlords or Stormcast.

The box has magmadroth which builds any combo of dad, son or smiter one on beast and other two on foot, usable all 3 at once from the Kit. 

Archived