Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

28 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

OK, I'll bite.  To me, this is what the core of a competitive FS is going to look like:

90        Warrior Kinbad Battalion     

• 240     Runeson on Magmadroth [General; Exemplar of the Ancestor trait; Meteoric Axe]
  • 330     30 Vulkites
  • 330     30 Vulkites
  • 330     30 Vulkites

80       Runesmiter [Ash-plume Sigil]

200     Runesmiter on Magmadroth

[400 Remaining]

Regarding your core. I am not sure you absolutly need the warrior kinband and the MagSon even if they are good choices. But I think you absolutly need a Battlesmith. 

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Andreas said:

Regarding your core. I am not sure you absolutly need the warrior kinband and the MagSon even if they are good choices. But I think you absolutly need a Battlesmith. 

You will win games simply by going first with the ability to derpstrike onto objectives. Key to going first is outstripping your opponent.

So why is the battlesmith so foundational?

2 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

You will win games simply by going first with the ability to derpstrike onto objectives. Key to going first is outstripping your opponent.

So why is the battlesmith so foundational?

Yes I agree. And in many cases the opponent gives it to me to try for the double turn. But I would always take it with fyreslayers if I get the choice. But if they take it, 30 Aurics (plus 90 Vulkites) and a potential double turn have the potential to push them from the objectives.

Regarding the Battlesmith in most cases you have an extra 5+ or 4+ save. It's like saying should I take the old ruler of the night for an extra 80pt. (Except against mortal wound spam of course.) And if they kill him for example close to the aurics you would be very happy too.

Edit: Also note that he does not plant his banner so he can run forward. And he is quite durable for missions where the heroes captures.

What of the idea to run 3 Gyrobombers as allies?

Ive been toying with this list:

Allegience: Fyreslayers

Batallion: Warrior Kinbad

Auric Runeson on 'Droth (General)

Grimwrath Berserker

2x Auric Runesmiter

Vulkite Berzerkers x30

Vulkite Berzerkers x30

Vulkite Berzerkers x30

Hearthguard Berzerkers x10

Allies:

Gyrobomber

Gyrobomber

Gyrobomber

Total points: 2,000

I want to try them. The bombers have 5 wounds opposed to the copters which have 4. Plus bombers have unlimited bombs that do D3 mortal wounds on a fly over enemy unit on a 4+. Plus a nasty 20" 4-attacks 4+\3+ at -1 rend shooting attack.

In this case, I'm comparing them to other Fyreslayers Heroes because of the 5 wounds and only 80 points each. They have a nice 12" fly too which will help with board control.

Thoughts?

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Just now, Lord Cedric said:

What of the idea to run 3 Gyrobombers as allies?

Ive been toying with this list:

Allegience: Fyreslayers
Batallion: Warrior Kinbad

Auric Runeson on 'Droth (General)
Grimwrath Berserker
2x Auric Runesmiter

Vulkite Berzerkers x30
Vulkite Berzerkers x30
Vulkite Berzerkers x30

Hearthguard Berzerkers x10

Allies:
Gyrobomber
Gyrobomber
Gyrobomber

Total points: 2,000

I want to try them. The bombers have 5 wounds opposed to the copters which have 4. Plus bombers have unlimited bombs that do D3 mortal wounds on a fly over enemy unit on a 4+. Plus a nasty 20" 4-attacks 4+\3+ at -1 rend shooting attack.

Thoughts?

- Cedric

If you have the extra 60 points, I think you would get more out of 3 units of Skywardens.  Skywardens are 6 wounds on a 4+ save with 12" fly.  Their ranged attacks include 6 shots at 4+/4+/-1/1 and the Drill Cannon at 4+/3+/-3/d3, both at 24" range.  If you roll a 6 to wound on that cannon, you do a d3 mortal wounds to another nearby enemy unit.  If they are within 12", they gain another shot at 3+/3+/-1/1. When melee is engaged, they have 3 attacks at 4+/3+/-1/d3 as well as 2 at 4+/5+/-/1.    Couple this suite of attacks with chances to do mortal wounds when they are charged from fliers and when they retreat and you have a pretty awesome package at 100 points.  They're perfect for harrying small enemy units camping objectives with their 24" range, as opposed to the Bombed which have to physically fly over their enemy (thus being in charge range when they stop their move) to even have a chance at damaging the enemy. 

And, on top of all of this, you get to do some sweet conversions like this:
IMG_7157.JPG.4c8eb7822a82dedfea7da8b89e0f3d05.JPG
[Disclaimer: those are actually Endrinriggers, but you get the idea]

If you have the extra 60 points, I think you would get more out of 3 units of Skywardens.  Skywardens are 6 wounds on a 4+ save with 12" fly.  Their ranged attacks include 6 shots at 4+/4+/-1/1 and the Drill Cannon at 4+/3+/-3/d3, both at 24" range.  If you roll a 6 to wound on that cannon, you do a d3 mortal wounds to another nearby enemy unit.  If they are within 12", they gain another shot at 3+/3+/-1/1. When melee is engaged, they have 3 attacks at 4+/3+/-1/d3 as well as 2 at 4+/5+/-/1.    Couple this suite of attacks with chances to do mortal wounds when they are charged from fliers and when they retreat and you have a pretty awesome package at 100 points.  They're perfect for harrying small enemy units camping objectives with their 24" range, as opposed to the Bombed which have to physically fly over their enemy (thus being in charge range when they stop their move) to even have a chance at damaging the enemy. 

Thank you. I do like the 6+ save better and thats quite a bit extra firepower for an additional 20 points over a Gyrocopter. My concern is #of troops overall with objectives in mind.

I can free up one to two hundred points from the Hearthguard. Otherwise... 90 from the Batallion but I think that would be a disservice to the list.. at least the Vulkites.

- Cedric

3 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Ooh I think I saw your Khemist on facebook!

I put this in the Fyreslayers Facebook group the other day but thought I'd post it here too now:

With the new abilities I've noticed with Spirit of Grimnir for the 5+ Rune activation you don't have to declare it.

So essentially you can use it any turn that you roll a 5 for the enhanced Rune. This actually will make it much more useful than initially thought and should work out that you will get double the enhanced runes per battle on average.

2 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

I put this in the Fyreslayers Facebook group the other day but thought I'd post it here too now:

With the new abilities I've noticed with Spirit of Grimnir for the 5+ Rune activation you don't have to declare it.

So essentially you can use it any turn that you roll a 5 for the enhanced Rune. This actually will make it much more useful than initially thought and should work out that you will get double the enhanced runes per battle on average.

Holy ******. You're right! That trait just become worth a go

2 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Holy ******. You're right! That trait just become worth a go

On 8/29/2017 at 8:47 AM, Andreas said:
  • 330     30 Vulkites
  • 330     30 Vulkites
  • 330     30 Vulkites

Hi friends, 

ZI am just starting my fyreslayers colletion and i want to ask you a question. can you pls kindly advise the wargear for berserkerz? does pick+shields are the best choice? If yes- pls specify why/

Thank you all for your list posting here. It really helps 

"With the new abilities I've noticed with Spirit of Grimnir for the 5+ Rune activation you don't have to declare it. "It has to compete with Battleshock immunity bubble however.

True. But if you have a runefather on droth you bubble a reroll to battleshock and tbh I find that Fyreslayers don't suffer it too bad normally so inspiring presence is normally enough.

Immunity bubble might just be overkill a lot of the time and can be covered otherwise by good generalship.

Hi friends, 
ZI am just starting my fyreslayers colletion and i want to ask you a question. can you pls kindly advise the wargear for berserkerz? does pick+shields are the best choice? If yes- pls specify why/

Thank you all for your list posting here. It really helps 

This topic has been done many times, it depends what you want from them really. Combined with a battlesmith pick and shield are really hard to shift, combined with a Runesmiter double axes put out a lot of quality attacks.

Personally I favour shields and picks as I feel we need the rend in the army and I love the shield attacks on charging, my trick is to charge a unit and a hero at the same time and direct all the shields on to the hero to take him out then deal with the unit.

3 hours ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Crazy. For me this is the goto trait now.

3 hours ago, Nico said:

"With the new abilities I've noticed with Spirit of Grimnir for the 5+ Rune activation you don't have to declare it. " It has to compete with Battleshock immunity bubble however.

Battleshock is usually not that problementic IMO (except for aurics and you still have IP) and when you see it comming you can always use the rune of fury determination.

3 hours ago, Andreas said:

Crazy. For me this is the goto trait now.

Battleshock is usually not that problementic IMO (except for aurics and you still have IP) and when you see it comming you can always use the rune of fury determination.

Hmm...we can coin the term "We have a rune for that!"

8 hours ago, Nico said:

"With the new abilities I've noticed with Spirit of Grimnir for the 5+ Rune activation you don't have to declare it. " It has to compete with Battleshock immunity bubble however.

This.  I've come around on the MagSon.  He's my goto General at this point given in Kinbad, all of those slayers will be charging 3d6, reroll 1 dice, drop the lowest, and piling in 3+1d3.  The +3 pile-in trait was even more enticing to me than the Spirit of Grimnir (probably because Charging 12" and piling in an additional 9" has some amazing applications if you understand the pile-in mechanic well).  

The reality though is that the Battleshock immunity is just too enticing.

Played a game last night testing the new LotL 

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (260)
Auric Runemaster (80)
Battlesmith (80)
Auric Runeson (80)
- General
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron

Battleline
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (120)
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (120)
30 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)

Units
6 x Skywardens (200)

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (90)

Total: 2000/2000

I dropped both the HB and the Magma father way way up the board to the side still in range of the 21" Runeson rerolls.

I didn't get the double turn but lost only 8 HB to 3 bastiladons. The game was all but over at that point with all his chaff dead and 20+ double pile in mortal wound machines chopping through his flank.

Ended up with a major thanks to Skywardens massive mobility such a good tool for fyreslayers as I expected 

Archived