Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the list I think is the best one after GH2:

1 Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth, General, Iron of the Guardian, Ash-plume Sigil 200
1 Battlesmith 80
1 Battlesmith 80
1 Auric Runesmiter 80
1 Auric Runesmiter 80
30 Vulkite Berserkers 330
30 Auric Hearthguard 480
125   1990

I'm a bit unsure about the artifacts. I would tunnel the Aurics and one unit of vulkites in most circumstances. The runes are crazy strong.

3 hours ago, Andreas said:

1 Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth, General, Iron of the Guardian, Ash-plume Sigil 200
1 Battlesmith 80
1 Battlesmith 80
1 Auric Runesmiter 80
1 Auric Runesmiter 80
30 Auric Hearthguard 480
125   1990

I'm a bit unsure about the artifacts. I would tunnel the Aurics and one unit of vulkites in most circumstances. The runes are crazy strong.

No one batallion man? Can explain why? Do you see them useless?

Im learning about fyreslayers

6 hours ago, Andreas said:

1 Battlesmith 80
1 Battlesmith 80
1 Auric Runesmiter 80
1 Auric Runesmiter 80
30 Auric Hearthguard 480
125   1990

If your rocking 3x30 Vulkites then run the Warrior Kinband. MagSmiter as general is just bad...take a MagSon due to his command ability 

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

If your rocking 3x30 Vulkites then run the Warrior Kinband. MagSmiter as general is just bad...take a MagSon due to his command ability 

I have used warrior kindband before (pre point reduction or really pre GH1) and it's ok. Mostly used it to reduce the number of drops, the abillities dont do anything really. The problem is the MagSmiter is the by far the best magmadroth. I would choose him even if he was the most expensive one due to his synergy with tunneling aurics. I dont really have the points for two, this is not my attempt to make a "fun" list where I might be using three magmas or something. Another way around this is to take the son on foot but it would cost me two of my other heroes and you dont get the 3D6 charge so this would make the list much weaker.

3 hours ago, Ruudy said:

No one batallion man? Can explain why? Do you see them useless?

Im learning about fyreslayers

See above.

Edit: Another thing, the command abillity you really must use all the time if you run the auric alpha strike strategy is IP on the aurics so I don't really lose much by making the MagSmiter the general.

If you want to look up the aurics alpha strike concept you can search in some of the first pages in this thread. It was pretty much the only strategy that somewhat worked pre GH2 but I still think it's one strongest strategies or I think it's still the strongest.

7 hours ago, Andreas said:

1 Battlesmith 80
1 Battlesmith 80
1 Auric Runesmiter 80
1 Auric Runesmiter 80
30 Auric Hearthguard 480
125   1990

I can't see your reasoning to take that many vulkites. Sure they're hard to kill and with the rend rune they become strong in combat.

Theres no mobility outside of the first smiter drop I'd be looking to drop one of the units of 30 and replace them with 9 Skywardens fyreslayer purists might not like this but they add mobility and long range threat with 3x drill cannons 

5 minutes ago, Tubs said:

I can't see your reasoning to take that many vulkites. Sure they're hard to kill and with the rend rune they become strong in combat.

Theres no mobility outside of the first smiter drop I'd be looking to drop one of the units of 30 and replace them with 9 Skywardens fyreslayer purists might not like this but they add mobility and long range threat with 3x drill cannons 

I may or may not have a list that basically does this ;-)

i dont see a downside to running a magma son as general with the battleshock aoe command trait. 

anyone have favorite loadouts for their heroes now that youve gone through the book?

for me #1 is javelin runeson on magmadroth with meteoric axe. if youre behind your warrior kin band its really nice having that extra kiting power.

The reason for taking the MagSon has nothing to do with being on a magmadroth. They are complete ****** for combat beasts. They exists to bleed out MW to support everything else. 

The reason you take the MagSon is for his command ability. The ability to roll charges on 3 dice absolutely trumps every other command ability Fyreslayers have. Period. Combined with the Vulkites ability to re-roll a charge dice gives Fyreslayers the mobility they need outside of tunneling. And the Warrior Kinband abilities are nuts now. Maybe not the pile in but when you pop the throwing axe rune that's 30 shots you can fire two times at 16" range. For one turn our all melee army becomes a hardcore shooting army. 30×2 shots per unit. 3 units of 30 Vulkites

A MagSmiter as general serves no purpose whatsoever. No synergy, no command ability outside of IP which is almost irrelevant now. Now I have a MagSmiter in my list for a huge range buff guy that can be sniped as easy and can spit MW.

This is my version

Potential list: 
 -Warrior Kinband - 90pts
  -Vulkite x 30 - 330pts
  -Vulkite x 30 - 330pts
  -Vulkite x 30 - 330pts
  -MagSon - 240pts
 -Runesmiter - 80pts
 -Runesmiter - 80pts
 -MagSmiter - 200pts
 -Battlesmith - 80pts
 -AH x 10 - 200pts
Total: 1960pts

36 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

The reason for taking the MagSon has nothing to do with being on a magmadroth. They are complete ****** for combat beasts. They exists to bleed out MW to support everything else. 

The reason you take the MagSon is for his command ability. The ability to roll charges on 3 dice absolutely trumps every other command ability Fyreslayers have. Period. 

I agree that the MagSons command abillity is the by far best. Its just that you need the MagSmiter in a auric alpha strike list. You buy him for the grand ritual of awakening, it makes the aurics reroll wound roll when they arrive and it's when they arrive and the opponent cant react to them you need the buff. It's devestating and it's really hard to defend against. Close combat alpha strikes you can always try to defend against with bubble wrapping.

Your list that looks solid plays a different strategy and then the MagSon makes much more sense. You are relying on getting into combat. I am more relying on shooting the opponent to pieces while using the vulkites as anvils.

1 hour ago, Tubs said:

I agree but I am a purist. ?

Hey Sons of Grimnir! I am thinking of running a list I've been working on for competitive but fun (hopefully!) games and tournaments. I would like your thoughts please. This is my first attempt at playing Fyreslayers.

Allegience: Fyreslayers
Batallion: Warrior Kinbad

Auric Runeson on 'Droth (General)
Grimwrath Berserker
2x Auric Runesmiter

Vulkite Berzerkers x30
Vulkite Berzerkers x30
Vulkite Berzerkers x30

Hearthguard Berzerkers x10

Allies:
Gyrobomber
Gyrobomber
Gyrobomber

Total points: 2,000

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Andreas said:

I agree that the MagSons command abillity is the by far best. Its just that you need the MagSmiter in a auric alpha strike list. You buy him for the grand ritual of awakening, it makes the aurics reroll wound roll when they arrive and it's when they arrive and the opponent cant react to them you need the buff. It's devestating and it's really hard to defend against. Close combat alpha strikes you can always try to defend against with bubble wrapping.

Your list that looks solid plays a different strategy and then the MagSon makes much more sense. You are relying on getting into combat. I am more relying on shooting the opponent to pieces while using the vulkites as anvils.

I too used to take the Magmasmiter for this very reason until I stopped listening to everyone else saying the footson is bad let me explain and you will save 120 points.

The magmasmiter has a once per game 10" bubble to re roll wounds this effects tunnelling units good right?

The footson has a 15" bubble that lets you reroll wounds against all heroes,monsters, behemoths, Warmachines, most Calvary, heavy elites. This ability is not once per game and can be extended to 21".

When you pop up your Aurics and Vulkites axes should be going into Heroes or Warmachines that's your prime chance to take them out and wreck the opponents synergy. 

So why take the magma smiter mortal wounds yes, auric battleline yes, bomb yes. But there is a more effective way to have you tunnelling units rerolling.

An improved list combing your original and Malakithes would be the strongest possible option I feel

Potential list: 
 -Warrior Kinband - 90pts
  -Vulkite x 30 - 330pts
  -Vulkite x 30 - 330pts
  -Vulkite x 30 - 330pts
  -Footson - 80pts
 -Runesmiter - 80pts
 -Runesmiter - 80pts
 -Battlesmith - 80pts
 -Battlesmith - 80pts
 -AH x 30 - 480pts
Total: 1960pts

5 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Interesting. Not sure it's better, because of the reason you mentioned plus lower movement and durability but it's interesting. You gain fewer drops (huge) and some shooting and longer pile in and an artifact (not that good IMO).

Mhm he doesn't need the movement since his ability has double that of the droth with the -1 to rend trait he becomes much harder to kill plus he's tiny hide him behind a tree at the back of the board. Give it a try I was so convinced he was rubbish also from the forums but no the 2 runesons have our best command abilitys 

2 hours ago, Andreas said:

Wait...how can you use the Grand Ritual on the turn you tunnel up? Tunneling is movement phase and you have to use the Grand Ritual in your hero phase but you cant cuz they arent deployed on the board. 

Unless you plan to run the MagSmiter up the board and hope he gets close enough and then tunnel up the AH. My lists use AH for back door harassing and hero sniping or artillery killing.

1 minute ago, Malakithe said:

Wait...how can you use the Grand Ritual on the turn you tunnel up? Tunneling is movement phase and you have to use the Grand Ritual in your hero phase but you cant cuz they arent deployed on the board. 

Unless you plan to run the MagSmiter up the board and hope he gets close enough and then tunnel up the AH. My lists use AH for back door harassing and hero sniping or artillery killing.

It's a static buff it's alway there for that turn like the runesons command ability

22 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Right its always there when units are in range. So the strategy is the run the MagSmiter up the board then? Cuz grand ritual is only 10". That doesnt seem too good when your trying to tunnel across the board

12" + run should get you just about anywhere plus you can still use roaring fire stream after running. 23" minimum range plus the vulkites have to be 9" back then Aurics behind  should be able to buff them no worries. Same deal with the runeson 26" minimum range

OK, I'll bite.  To me, this is what the core of a competitive FS is going to look like:

90        Warrior Kinbad Battalion     

• 240     Runeson on Magmadroth [General; Exemplar of the Ancestor trait; Meteoric Axe]
  • 330     30 Vulkites
  • 330     30 Vulkites
  • 330     30 Vulkites

80       Runesmiter [Ash-plume Sigil]

200     Runesmiter on Magmadroth

[400 Remaining]

With the remaining points, here are my top picks

• Runesmiter [80], 10 Hearthguard Berserkers [200], 3 Skywardens (Aethermatic Gun; Drill Gun),  [100]
  • 6 Skywardens (Aethermatic Gun x2; Drill Gun x2) [200]; 6 Skywardens (Aethermatic Gun x2; Drill Gun x2) [200]
  • 30 Arkanaut Company [360], Gryphhound [40]

Of these three, I think I like the top one the best, since I like having the ability to deepstrike a second unit, whether that be another block of Vulkites or the Berserkers. This puts me at 5-6 drops and that isn't too shabby.  The Berserker unit is a nice tight pack of Mortal wound generation and the skywardens can harass small objective holding units with enough firepower and likely little reprisal.  If you were less than jazzed about the HB, you could just dump 300 points into skywardens.  If you really like the Skywarden idea, you could just double down on skywardens (the second option). Finally, if you really felt like you wanted either a second unit to hold objectives (which providing threat) or ranged firepower for the Vulkites, the third option is a strong contender.

These are the current lists I'm wrestling with.

Archived