Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

@Veterannoob it was mainly as I had 80 points to play with and wanted a 4th hero. I think they can be a bit brittle so wanted some fallback. Out of the 80 point heros I felt he added the most. I am not as keen on the buffs of the other ones at 80, and he has a nice feel to roll with the double handed beserkers. The plan is to drop the other 2 units in via tunnelling, whilst drawing attention away with the magmadroth. A decent chance to cause some solid wounds on the charge if I make the 9 inch(with reroll for horn). If not and they get charged, they have the extra save. 

Well thats the plan at least......

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do people think of this 2k list (under gh2 points values) :

Heroes

Runefather on magma (general) 

Runesmiter on magma 

Runesmiter

Battlesmith 

Grimwrath bezerker

Runemaster 

Units

20 vulkites with picks and shields

10 hearthguard bezerkers with broadaxes

10 auric hearthguard 

5 auric hearthguard

5 auric hearthguard

Formations

Lords of the lodge 

Forge Brethren

Comes in at 1980 points. 2 artefacts. Probably give Grimwrath the rend and a phoenix stone to one of the magmas

5 minutes ago, Darren2607 said:

What do people think of this 2k list (under gh2 points values) :

Heroes

Runefather on magma (general) 

Runesmiter on magma 

Runesmiter

Battlesmith 

Grimwrath bezerker

Runemaster 

Units

10 hearthguard bezerkers with broadaxes

10 auric hearthguard 

5 auric hearthguard

5 auric hearthguard

Formations

Lords of the lodge 

Forge Brethren

Comes in at 1980 points. 2 artefacts. Probably give Grimwrath the rend and a phoenix stone to one of the magmas

That's pretty much the exact list that I use except I have 5 less auric and a unit of 15 hearthguard. I find ten get taken apart if you're not careful. 

Its not a bad list I've won a fair few games with it but it's weak on the first turn and susceptible to alpha strike lists 

5 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

That's pretty much the exact list that I use except I have 5 less auric and a unit of 15 hearthguard. I find ten get taken apart if you're not careful. 

Its not a bad list I've won a fair few games with it but it's weak on the first turn and susceptible to alpha strike lists 

Interesting. I need the 3 units of auric to get the forge Brethren formation, which can give the +1 save. Do you use that formation? 

The obvious weaknesses to me are a lack of mobility and of true range. You'd have to soak a lot of damage before getting into combat. But that's just a general shortcoming of fyreslayers 

12 minutes ago, Darren2607 said:

Interesting. I need the 3 units of auric to get the forge Brethren formation, which can give the +1 save. Do you use that formation? 

The obvious weaknesses to me are a lack of mobility and of true range. You'd have to soak a lot of damage before getting into combat. But that's just a general shortcoming of fyreslayers 

Yeah I use it I mean I have 3x5 instead of the unit of 10.

mobility wise i find it okay as the magmadroths are fast and the Sumter can tunnel the vulkites where you need them. I usually have a unit of 25 and one of 10 

27 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Yeah I use it I mean I have 3x5 instead of the unit of 10.

mobility wise i find it okay as the magmadroths are fast and the Sumter can tunnel the vulkites where you need them. I usually have a unit of 25 and one of 10 

I see, I see. How do you find the unit of 15 hearthguards? My worry would be there's too many to actually get into combat and then they'd collapse to a battleshock test. I generally prefer trying to keep my units smaller for that reason 

6 minutes ago, Darren2607 said:

I see, I see. How do you find the unit of 15 hearthguards? My worry would be there's too many to actually get into combat and then they'd collapse to a battleshock test. I generally prefer trying to keep my units smaller for that reason 

Battleshock generally isn't a problem as they don't tend to lose many each round. But I think you need more than ten to make the most of the double pile in. You should be able to get 10 in easily and use a few to trail back for buffs 

yeah, I can see that. I guess I just have faith after points drop well get splash model during a weekly release. But with 40k in honesty I think it's gonna be 2 months before a heavy AoS release unless the Slaanesh/Light & Shadow realms release comes full force in July.

On 5/18/2017 at 4:35 PM, Veterannoob said:

yeah, I can see that. I guess I just have faith after points drop well get splash model during a weekly release. But with 40k in honesty I think it's gonna be 2 months before a heavy AoS release unless the Slaanesh/Light & Shadow realms release comes full force in July.

That is unless the Death Guard has models that could work in AoS (ala Tzaangors). Maybe plagued umgi and a new beast? Either way, I also worry the Fyreslayer line is done for years given the GW model of pumping out more models based on sales (and the weird pricing/lack of start collecting of Fyreslayers that I'm sure is keeping sales down).

What you think of this list?

Any recommendations ? Big weaknesses.

i would of liked to get the +1 save in but I think it will change my list too much.

plan is pretty simple

tunnel both the hearth guard units 

tank forward the large berserkers unit suppprted by battle smith and Grimwraths

cannon to threat big monsters and make enemy come to me 

shall I take the cannon away and but my berserkers to 30

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Auric Runesmiter (100)
- Runic Iron
Auric Runesmiter (100)
- Runic Iron
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (320)
- General
Grimwrath Berzerker (100)
Grimwrath Berzerker (100)
Battlesmith (100)

Battleline
15 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (300)
- Broadaxes
- Fyreslayer Battleline (Runefather General)
15 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (300)
- Poleaxes
- Fyreslayer Battleline (Runefather General)
25 x Vulkite Berzerkers (400)
- Pairs of Handaxes

War Machines
Cannon (180)

Total: 2000/2000

Hey guys,

I just joined the Lodge army!

Trying to generate my first 1000 point list meanwhile other friends buy his armies and figuring out a 2k army too.

Really enjoy to read entire topic, i miss a subsection by faction to allow people to be focused on different topics related with Fyreslayers.

Thanks for all your help and comments, it changed my mint about some things and thats good meanwhile in mounting the models, because they are quite expensive and i was struggling my head with handaxes Vulkies or Shield ones, expensive army dude...

Thanks!

Hi all! Im thinking about maning a fyreslayers warband, then 1k and lastley 2k lists...

- How are they dying as a solo faction now? I dont need to play cheese but att the same time i want to win..sometimes atleast!

- are they better as solo or mixed? If mixed...with what?

- What is the dos and dont in the army model wise? Maybe you more experienced player can help me!

Thanks in advance! 

Kimbo

Does anyone have any tips for using fyreslayers against flesh eaters and disciples of tzeentch? I figure against the blades of khorne we all sort of end up towards the middle. We are starting up an escalation league and I am taking the fyreslayers. Currently I have 30 pick and shield vulkites, a Runefather on magmadroth, a Runesmiter, a runeson with axes, Battlesmith, Runemaster, and a grimwrath Berzerker. My current plan is to build up to 60 of the pick and shield Berzerkers, 60 dual axe Berzerkers, 30 of the Hearthguard berserkers and 30 of the Auric Hearthguard. I figure that will give me some option in how I play whether I want to go with a horde or more magmadroths because they look cool. There are lots of neat lists and tactics in this thread though. My current thought for 2000 points is this:

Runefather on magmadroth 260

Runeson on Magmadroth 240

Runesmiter 80

Battlesmith 80

Runemaster 80

Battlesmith 80

30 Vulkites with pick and shield 360

30 Vulkites with dual axes 360

5 Vulkites with pick and shield 60

and then either

15 Hearthguard berserkers 240

Lords of the Lodge 160

OR

10 Hearthguard berserkers with poleaxes 160

15 Auric Hearthguard 2405 Vulkites with pick and shield

1 minute ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Has anyone found a use for a Runeson on foot?  I'd like to use one for narrative reasons but they don't seem to have much of a role.

If you have a list or a sideboard with a chance to swap heroes he can be a great general vs. armies with more than 2 wounds, like ogres, some Chaos, undead chariots & snakes :) 

23 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Has anyone found a use for a Runeson on foot?  I'd like to use one for narrative reasons but they don't seem to have much of a role.

I have a strategy with multiple runesons that I'm going to run hopefully this week. Making good use of the -1 bravery stare down. If it goes as planned it could be an easy way to make things such as skyfires/kurnoths/paladins run away to a single causality 

Thanks.  Javelins or War-axe on foot?  I'm leaning towards javelin for aesthetics and because the Runeson seems pretty underwhelming in melee no matter the weapon.  At least chucking d3+2 damage javelins every now and then seems a little unique.  Thanks for the help.  Just starting Fyreslayers for a skirmish league.

4 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Thanks.  Javelins or War-axe on foot?  I'm leaning towards javelin for aesthetics and because the Runeson seems pretty underwhelming in melee no matter the weapon.  At least chucking d3+2 damage javelins every now and then seems a little unique.  Thanks for the help.  Just starting Fyreslayers for a skirmish league.

I like the javelin personally. It adds flexibility and the extra dmg vs monsters is nice. It's 2 attacks with rend compared to 3 without so I tend to lean towards rend whenever possible

Hey guys,

Im just finishing my 1st magmadroth and im quite sure ill use it with different guy on top depends of the battle.

I was trying to figuring out if there is any good solution to make them changeables, i see a lot of lists with 2 - 3 runesmiters on foot and others with 2 runesmiters on a magmadroth, and honestly i dont wanna spend so much money on 4 magmadroth boxes.

Can someone help me or give a clue of how can try to solve this or which modeling option should i start investigating?

Thank you so much!

Hi,

which list you prefer (1000 points)? I think I like the 2. list more, but rly not sure...

1. list

Auric Runefather (80)
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (200)
- Runic Iron
Grimwrath Berzerker (80)
Battlesmith (80)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (80)
5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (80)
- Broadaxes
- Broadaxes
- Broadaxes
Forge Brethren (80)

Total: 1000/2000

2. list

Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (260)
Grimwrath Berzerker (80)
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron
15 x Auric Hearthguard (240)
- Broadaxes
20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (240)
- Handaxes & Slingshields

Total: 980/2000

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the idea of adding some KO fire support / movement to my fyreslayers. Curious if anyone has had success mixing the 2 and if they'd like to share their experiences.

Contemplating something like the following at 2k (using the new points)

Auric Runefather (80) - General

Auric Runesmiter x3 (240) (usually 1 burrows a unit of Vulkites, 1 the Aurics, and the other deploys normaly

Battlesmith (80)

Aether-Khemist (100)

Vulkite Berzerkers x30 (360) -War-Picks & Slingshields

Vulkite Berzerkers x30 (360) -War-Picks & Slingshields

Hearthguard Berzerkers x20 (320) -Poleaxes

Auric Hearthguard x15 (240)

Grundstok Thunderers x10 (200) - Not sure on weapon load out, thinking mortars for the 36" range. That or cannons for the additional damage output.

Total: 1980/ 2000 Heroes: 6/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4

Possibly adding some Balloon Boys as well for some additional movement shenanigans. Basically I'm looking to add some objective camping support while my Slayers get to slayin' and maintain the dwarven motif. I know cannons and a engineer are another option but that just doesn't seem as fun. 

Or maybe fit in a Magmacanum ...

I was playing with this as a list under current points

Heros:

Khemist

2 Runesmiters

Endrinmaster

Battleline:

1 Arkanaut company x10

2 Beserkers x20

Behemoths:

2x Frigates

Other:

2 Units 3 Endrinriggers

Has a little bit of everything, and can start with zero foot troops on the board

Archived