Let's chat Skaven tactics

Dez

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did he get better?

One way is to get a warlock engineer as general and give him overseer of destruction. He will hang back with the wind mortars 4-6 ideally to give them the rerolling 1s to hit.... Now since we have massive regiments around, when we target them the damage becomes 6 instead of d6, and double one successful attack to 12 damage with the warpstone Sparks.

I used to not take the mortar however now, I plan to take 5 and try this small combo out.

Sent from my Alcatel_7049D using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, sven_victorious!! said:

One way is to get a warlock engineer as general and give him overseer of destruction. He will hang back with the wind mortars 4-6 ideally to give them the rerolling 1s to hit.... Now since we have massive regiments around, when we target them the damage becomes 6 instead of d6, and double one successful attack to 12 damage with the warpstone Sparks.

I used to not take the mortar however now, I plan to take 5 and try this small combo out.

Hadn't realized that! but it is deffinatelly a good point ! good think I have a few laying around maybe is time to bring them back

29 minutes ago, sven_victorious!! said:

Haha I was actually thinking the same thing...for the first time I was looking at the Gascloud engicoven for the Skryre battalion

Haha I was actually thinking the same thing...for the first time I was looking at the Gascloud engicoven for the Skryre battalion
Just had a look at the gas cloud choke lung, the warpsparks only double the damage characteristic... It doesn't work with mortal wounds; would have been absolutely bonkers to shoot double damage for the hero phase and again at the shooting phase

13 minutes ago, sven_victorious!! said:

Just had a look at the gas cloud choke lung, the warpsparks only double the damage characteristic... It doesn't work with mortal wounds; would have been absolutely bonkers to shoot double damage for the hero phase and again at the shooting phase

No reason why you cant use both though...use the D6 MW ability then in the shooting phase you pop a double dmg scooby snack and melt away those infantry blocks

23 hours ago, Deathmaster Snikch said:

I converted mine out of plague monks and skitari parts, same for my Jezzails

The reason Skryre didn't make sense to me is the only plastic kit they have are stormfiends, a lot of the weapon teams you can't buy anymore or are plastic exclusive in the island of blood, meanwhile verminus have plastic kits for Verminlords clanrats and Stormvermin which still hold up. Just GW trying to ship stormfiends 

Verminus Clawpack like all compendium battalions no longer exists 

And I agree clanrats should have the keyword of every clan 

I still have a lot of Jezzails lying around from Skitarii stuff. Did you even give those monks orbs to throw? Or is it fine to just have them as a counts-as with guns? :)

I think they are just trying to push sales. Most Skaven players got their clanrats and such already, they are pretty much not earning anything off players that already finished collecting their armies. I think this was clearly a marketting decision, not only to sell Stormfiends, but also to sell those overpriced Acolytes of theirs (strength in numbers ruling). Imagine actually buying 60 acolytes at 7.20 a pop... 432 pounds, just to have a battleline requirement filled is a tad bit on the rediculous side. I would have preferred they had pushed sales through new and interresting releases rather than flat out making half of your previous purchases invalid. It is not a cheap hobby by any means, it would be nice if stuff had a life span longer than a few months. Many of the units I and friends bought the past year didn't even get painted yet and are now completely useless under the current rulings.

Oh well, I'm sure we'll get new units and battalions! Right after the next 10 stormcast release waves haha XD. It quite literally is the Age of Sigmar it seems.

17 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Oh well, I'm sure we'll get new units and battalions! Right after the next 10 stormcast release waves haha XD. It quite literally is the Age of Sigmar it seems.

Don't be rediculous.... it's stormcast - Khorne- stormcast - Khorne- stormcast - Khorne - Stormcast - Tzeentch - Stormcast - Nurgle? - Stormcast - Slaanesh (please please let that be true) ;) 

5 hours ago, Kugane said:

Seems to be true. Hopefully the designers run out of ideas there and turn their attention to some other faction.

my current project are some conversions for skryre acolytes  (I don't like the tin models, and they are expensive as hell...). I do want to play a block of 30 next to my two stormfiends battleline mobs.

I use the skaven blood bowl team , 25€ for 10-12 models (in comparison to 9€ per original model), so a full mob of 30 is achievable for 75€ instead of ~270€.

I used some greenstuff pipes and tubes and adeptus mechanical parts to makemore them look more skryric :D

20170831_225953.jpg

IMG_20170830_231408_166.jpg

1 hour ago, tea_wild_owl said:

my current project are some conversions for skryre acolytes  (I don't like the tin models, and they are expensive as hell...). I do want to play a block of 30 next to my two stormfiends battleline mobs.

I use the skaven blood bowl team , 25€ for 10-12 models (in comparison to 9€ per original model), so a full mob of 30 is achievable for 75€ instead of ~270€.

I used some greenstuff pipes and tubes and adeptus mechanical parts to makemore them look more skryric :D

20170831_225953.jpg

IMG_20170830_231408_166.jpg

Loving the pipes. I think this style would look nice on clanrats or stormvermin as well though. Perhaps you could make some Stormvermin versions as well? :)

8 hours ago, Kramer said:

Don't be rediculous.... it's stormcast - Khorne- stormcast - Khorne- stormcast - Khorne - Stormcast - Tzeentch - Stormcast - Nurgle? - Stormcast - Slaanesh (please please let that be true) ;) 

I had a really good laugh earlier though, my Death army is in the same situation as Skaven, being completely torn apart and in desperate need of new units to bind allegiances together. Today they released a preview of a new Death hero and I got excited until I saw the 2018 stamp haha. So the soonest new rat models may take a while.  Chinese Zodiac already predicted it though: 2020 is the year of the rat and Age of Sigmar will be renamed to Age of Skreech.

On 8/30/2017 at 0:40 PM, sven_victorious!! said:

If the damage characteristic is doubled,  and the damage characteristic for the PWM Team for small units is d6,

Does the damage become 2D6, or does it just become twice what you roll on a single d6?

18 hours ago, Kugane said:

Loving the pipes. I think this style would look nice on clanrats or stormvermin as well though. Perhaps you could make some Stormvermin versions as well? :)

it would work for them, too. I like the dynamic poses of the blood bowl team, some trow a ball (which can easily been used as the gas globe/bomb^^). I will stick to them now as I have already finished 20 :D

18 hours ago, Mattbringssoda said:

If the damage characteristic is doubled,  and the damage characteristic for the PWM Team for small units is d6,

Does the damage become 2D6, or does it just become twice what you roll on a single d6?

Ability doesn't say which point you need to use that spark so most likely when you do good damage roll you can just go "I'll double it". So if you roll 5 for example you could double it to 10.

2 hours ago, tea_wild_owl said:

it would work for them, too. I like the dynamic poses of the blood bowl team, some trow a ball (which can easily been used as the gas globe/bomb^^). I will stick to them now as I have already finished 20 :D

I also picked up 2 blood bowl teams about a year ago for the sake of converting, but I cannot un-see the ball as being a football. I wonder how hard it would be to remove it and just put a globe in their hands. I still have some skitarii backpacks I could use as well.

I just started AoS maybe a month ago, plopping down a lot of resources to get a bunch of clanrats and a slew of Verminus oriented models.

Now that the Crown has become a Tiara of Command, and we've lost the Clawpack Battalion, and the battle standard, and don't have access to the extra bravery for every 10 models that the other battalions great, I'm quite dejected and feel as though I chose the worst time to start collecting these models.  It seems like I'm reading similar sentiments from a few of you. 

Is anyone using battleline units from other Chaos factions with good results? I'm worried I can no longer give two units of clanrats the support they need to be real effective and not flee, but I'm thinking one supported with a Warlord can still do their job, and perhaps choosing another faction's battleline that can operate a little better on it's own.

I already own a unit of Chaos Warriors, maybe they'd be good for one of my battleline spots? Looks they got a point reduction. Plus I kind of like the idea of a small batch of Chaos Warriors who now serve the Horned Rat, might be fun to customize.

Thoughts from more experienced players? Perhaps a better option than Warriors out there? 

Clan rats are still some of the cheapest wounds in the game. I have 80 I am excited to try them out. I agree that the grey seer seems critical, but I will give it a go both ways.

Like my Free Guild army, numbers have a quality all their own. If you throw enough clan rats at elite units, they will die. 

The question becomes, can clan rats screen and kill enough before they die, and I think the answer is yes, but always it depends on your army.

The new ghb is making people depressed before they play a game. I think clan rats will do great in the unit obective cap scenarios, which are 5 of 6 new ones.

I just think people who want to play verminus are sad, and rightfully so since they didnt get the ability that would help and lost legacy characters.

Potential list. Saw the original version of this on facebook. Tweaked it a bit to include stuff I liked

Leaders
Verminlord Warbringer (300)
Verminlord Warbringer (300)
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
Grey Seer (120)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Chaos Talisman
Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
Units
6 x Warplock Jezzails (280)
1 x Ratling Gun Weapon Team (80)
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)
Total: 2000/2000

The PWM and Ratling Gun are just in there to fill in points. I wanted to include the new Warlord on Brood Horror cuz that bad boy can do some work now I think. I suppose I could cut out a Warbringer for him

Version 2.0 of the list...

Leaders
Skaven Warlord on Brood Horror (220)
Skaven Warlord on Brood Horror (220)
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
Grey Seer (120)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Chaos Talisman
Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear