Let's chat Skaven tactics

Dez

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Goodapollo4 said:

It's nothing more than stock issues I'm assuming, but Clanrats and Stormvermin are out of stock on the North American sites...I'd love a reboxing of both of those kits, even though I have more Clanrats than I know what to do with lol. 

I noticed that a lot of retail shops don't sell stormvermin for quite some time already as well. I really wonder what is going on with those units.

3 hours ago, Kugane said:

I noticed that a lot of retail shops don't sell stormvermin for quite some time already as well. I really wonder what is going on with those units.

Stormvermin also disappeared from some non-gw online shop I was using as my supplier a few months back. Might be relevant.

16 hours ago, brimmstorm said:

I'm interested in building a Skaven Eschin list. I'm looking to use all Gutter Runners for my battleline. Has anyone come up with a good alternative/conversion that they have used? 

The skaven blood bowl team has a lot of neat models for gutter runner uses :) that's my best, and only suggestion.

19 hours ago, Mayple said:

Stormvermin also disappeared from some non-gw online shop I was using as my supplier a few months back. Might be relevant.

I bet they'll become GW exclusives soon! :D, hoping that they randomly pop a battletome verminus on us.

19 hours ago, brimmstorm said:

I'm interested in building a Skaven Eschin list. I'm looking to use all Gutter Runners for my battleline. Has anyone come up with a good alternative/conversion that they have used? 

Here is a few of the gutter runners I use:

A clanrat kit + bloodbowl kits can get you a long way. Also the new shadespire kits are a great source of gutter runner material. The Lurking Skaven & Festering Skaven are amazing gutter runners and you can easily convert Krrk into one as well.

skaven.jpg.8f4a83407e96e7ed5fff3a35104f2c83.jpg 

17 hours ago, Kugane said:

Here is a few of the gutter runners I use:

A clanrat kit + bloodbowl kits can get you a long way. Also the new shadespire kits are a great source of gutter runner material. The Lurking Skaven & Festering Skaven are amazing gutter runners and you can easily convert Krrk into one as well.

skaven.jpg.8f4a83407e96e7ed5fff3a35104f2c83.jpg 

I've been looking at the Clan Rat box and was thinking of taking the unarmored ones and then attaching a knife to the their tail and then using them as Gutter Runners. I do like the Blood Bowl kit too though! I think i'll have to look in to that, are they plastic or resin? 

41 minutes ago, brimmstorm said:

I've been looking at the Clan Rat box and was thinking of taking the unarmored ones and then attaching a knife to the their tail and then using them as Gutter Runners. I do like the Blood Bowl kit too though! I think i'll have to look in to that, are they plastic or resin? 

Plastic :)

7 hours ago, brimmstorm said:

If you get a box if clanrats (Actual clanrats, not the island of blood ones), you'll have plenty of bodies to work with, some spare 'hands' in the bloodbowl set and you can use the ends of bloodbowl tails on clanrat bodies to make them look a bit bulkier if needed.

Hello all

I happen to have 8 rat ogors lying around, and may get my hands on 10 more.

Do you think there is anything that can be done with this many rat ogors? Is it even worth it compared to, say, stormvermins? Although the damage output and the save are lower, they don't suffer as much from bravery issues, plus they have some shooting available.

Cheers

Been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to deal with a Kroaknado ever since my Skryre defeat against it. The obvious solution was Gautfyre Skorch, but I am of the belief that Skorch weakens Skryre more than it strengthens it. Today it struck me. What if we avoid Skryre altogether?

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Arch Warlock (140)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Warlock Engineer (100)
Warlock Engineer (100)
Grey Seer (120)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Chaos Talisman

Battleline
3 x Stormfiends (300)
- Skryre Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear

Units
1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (100)
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (70)
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (70)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Battalions
Gascloud Chokelung (50)
Arkhspark Voltik (50)
Clan Skryre (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 174

Variations include a Warpgnaw Verminlord General coming in with a 40 blob clanrat unit,  and the remaining two units being 20man. 

Just now, Mayple said:

Variations include a Warpgnaw Verminlord General coming in with a 40 blob clanrat unit,  and the remaining two units being 20man. 

I'd be interested to hear any experience anyone has with the Warpgnaw. I'm planning on taking him to a doubles GT and deep strike with 20 stormvermin. 

32 minutes ago, tolstedt said:

To beat Kroak just take more rats!

I've settled on at least 140 plague rats for all my pestilens lists.  Some go up to 200.  

Actually I seem to be answering every skaven question with "more rats".

Do you make lots of friends with 200 rats though? xD

20 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Do you make lots of friends with 200 rats though? xD

I've seen a few people say that 200 rats/whatever somehow makes less friends - which implies it is somehow cheesy, or filthy. 

IT'S SKAVEN! WHAT WERE THEY EXPECTING!?

And it's also so much less cheesy than anything else other people are able to throw at us, and very fitting with the skaven lore,  so ;)

36 minutes ago, Mayple said:

I've seen a few people say that 200 rats/whatever somehow makes less friends - which implies it is somehow cheesy, or filthy. 

IT'S SKAVEN! WHAT WERE THEY EXPECTING!?

And it's also so much less cheesy than anything else other people are able to throw at us, and very fitting with the skaven lore,  so ;)

I think it's an awesome idea. It wasn't so much the cheese, it was more "please wait 30 mins while I move 200 models" kind of thing!

20 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I think it's an awesome idea. It wasn't so much the cheese, it was more "please wait 30 mins while I move 200 models" kind of thing!

I hear you... Even I as a Skaven player am suffering from it, now that my local shop has decided to use hilly terrains with plenty of obstacles, thereby rendering my movement trays useless :(

So now I push the whole horde carelessly downhill. Half of the weaklings fall and get trampled on by the others. I must admit it resembles how I imagine a horde of Skavens being pushed to battle against their survival instinct :D

35 minutes ago, Num said:

I hear you... Even I as a Skaven player am suffering from it, now that my local shop has decided to use hilly terrains with plenty of obstacles, thereby rendering my movement trays useless :(

So now I push the whole horde carelessly downhill. Half of the weaklings fall and get trampled on by the others. I must admit it resembles how I imagine a horde of Skavens being pushed to battle against their survival instinct :D

Vermintide on the table top!

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

All part of the devious plot to mess with the opponent's mind!! 

On a serious note though, I find myself waiting through my opponent's various battalion, hero phase, deepstrike and magic shenanigans far longer than it takes me to move a hundred ratmen. In a way, the movement phase is our 'trick phase' - and people who get impatient with that should really compare their own turn time vs the skaven turn time. Odds are, the Skaven actually goes through their turn faster :) most of the time at least.

That being said, smart and efficient movement of a big quantity of models is an aquired skill, and certain movement trays (several smaller ones are better than one big) makes it even better. A player should always look to divert out of the movement tray as early as possible though, as freedom of formation is what makes a horde in Age of Sigmar strong :)

52 minutes ago, Mayple said:

That being said, smart and efficient movement of a big quantity of models is an aquired skill, and certain movement trays (several smaller ones are better than one big) makes it even better. A player should always look to divert out of the movement tray as early as possible though, as freedom of formation is what makes a horde in Age of Sigmar strong :)

It helps if you're used to those silly 50 man conscript blobs back in the unbalanced start of 8th 40k!

32 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

It helps if you're used to those silly 50 man conscript blobs back in the unbalanced start of 8th 40k!

Which is funny, cause I'm considering going huge conscript blobs if I ever start playing 40k. Or huge genestealer cult blobs, but potato tomato. 

I clearly want myself to suffer tremendously. 

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

All part of the devious plot to mess with the opponent's mind!! 

On a serious note though, I find myself waiting through my opponent's various battalion, hero phase, deepstrike and magic shenanigans far longer than it takes me to move a hundred ratmen. In a way, the movement phase is our 'trick phase' - and people who get impatient with that should really compare their own turn time vs the skaven turn time. Odds are, the Skaven actually goes through their turn faster :) most of the time at least.

Don’t worry the only bad thing that could happen are maybe some complains about all does skaven Modells (if your playing only or most of the army as verminus allegiance) .

well, but using a verminus list, which consist out of only clan rats ?, is really useful and fun to play.

I won about 4 games with a list consisting of a Grey seer 260clanrats 40giant rats 80Plague monks,

because my opponents gave in, mostly after the second turn, when they realized, that it was almost impossible to kill all those rats camping on the objectives.

It’s a fun list to use (especially if your interested in using it on a tournament (I really would be interested in knowing how it worked, if someone already tried some similar or the exact same list out)).

I’m thinking, about using the list in the next 2000points tournament.

But until then I’ll be probably painting the rest of my clanrats?

25 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Which is funny, cause I'm considering going huge conscript blobs if I ever start playing 40k. Or huge genestealer cult blobs, but potato tomato. 

I clearly want myself to suffer tremendously. 

Sorry for going off topic on the 40k talk but do keep in mind AM conscripts took a massive nerf bat due to the amount of power gaming abuse people did in the beginning of their new edition. Back then you could take massive units of 50 that vomited laser fire to an absurd degree and had commissars making them immune to battleshock tests. They now limited them to a max of 30 models now, no longer can become auto immune to battleshocks, and are the same exact point cost per model as normal guardsmen so they're not all that useful now other than vehicle bubble chaff. GW balancing as usual!

Back onto the topic of unending rat hordes!

Archived