Let's chat Skaven tactics

Dez

On 9-10-2017 at 2:53 AM, foolsama said:

Archaon, the Everchosen has been compendium'd. He is now just a 'Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount'.  It's 700 points for the 'new' Archaon, or bust.

Thats a real shame... I saw him on the app and assumed he was still legal to use. I wish they would keep that app up to date.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Thats a real shame... I saw him on the app and assumed he was still legal to use. I wish they would keep that app up to date.

Ya it really is a shame. Mini archaon would have been a great solution to the loss of verminus clawpack :(.

Not sure big archaon is worth his points to try and replicate a verminus pack multi command ability combo. I wonder if anyone has tried it. I know @Nico did it with mini archaon to good effect, but i wonder what that list would have been like adjusted for everchosen archaon. 

7 hours ago, Nico said:

The loss of Tretch is the big problem as you need -2 rend to deal with Drakes, TLAs, Temple Guard, Phoenixes....

The loss of Sayl doesn’t help either.

Ya... alghough i expected it to a degree, i cried a little inside when skaven lost sayl. Hes just a cool model in my collection now haha. I hoped theyd just do a point increase, but i understand the limitation. His abuse was pretty widespread in the chaos faction. 

And ya tretch was key. I just wonder how something like a Warbringer and 2 warlord's command abilities acting together would work, if at all. 

so I picked up a large amount of Skaven a few weeks ago and I had my first game with them today - a victory!

My army, Chaos allegiance:

• Grey Seer (general, Lord of War command trait)
  • Arch-Warlock (Crown of Conquest artifact)
  • 20 clanrats (swords)
  • 20 clanrats (spears)
  • 40 clanrats (spears)
  • 20 stormvermin
  • 12 Warplock Jezzails
  • 2 Warp Lightning Cannons
  • 1 Warp-grinder Weapon Team

the enemy was Soulblight

• Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon
  • 3 units of 5 Blood Knights
  • Arkhan the Black
  • Mourngul (summoned)
  • Cairn Wraith (summoned)

We used open war cards. For deployment the table was split into 3rds lengthwise and the middle was neutral territory, and there were 4 objectives placed on the battlefield for scoring, which was 1 point per objective held at the end of your turn. There was no active Twist, so it was a pretty straightforward mission (the "Double or Nothing" Twist card was pulled and Nothing was the result)

I ended up winning on objective points 12-10. 

Most of the action was in the first two rounds. In round 1 he tried for a top of 1 dragon charge and failed, then the jezzails removed the dragon from the table completely and the cannons put Arkhan down 6 wounds. Then I got the double turn, removed Arkhan, nearly wiped a unit of Blood Knights and the Warpgrinder showed up with the Stormvermin near his back objective.  But in the bottom of 2 he got some amazing flying charges with some Blood knights that let them fly right over my clan rats and into the Jezzails. 

Rounds 3, 4 and 5 were a matter of forcing his mourngul and remaining bloodknights to chew through 60 clanrats and my artilery while the stormvermin and sword clanrats stole his objectives. At the end of the game he had Mourngul and 8 Blood Knights while I had just 18 clanrats, 16 stormvermin and the warpgrinder team too far away for him to charge and do anything about them.

Just getting back into Skaven, I have been a long time Khorne player (Bloodbound & Daemons) but had these guys in 2nd Edition and haven't shaken the residual rat!

Any rumours about a Battletome/figure release? I notice the GW webstore is out of stock on a whole number of things and items like the  Warpfire Throwers aren't even there anymore, precursor to a re-release maybe?

Warpfire thrower and poison wind mortar aren't sold because you can get them from that spire of dawn set (crappy solution, I know, but there's always ebay). As for rumours, well there's nothing to stand on really. Only noteworthy thing is that skaven have warband for shadespire, so that might promise some new stuff for them in the future.

On 7-11-2017 at 5:14 PM, Flood said:

Ya... alghough i expected it to a degree, i cried a little inside when skaven lost sayl. Hes just a cool model in my collection now haha. I hoped theyd just do a point increase, but i understand the limitation. His abuse was pretty widespread in the chaos faction. 

And ya tretch was key. I just wonder how something like a Warbringer and 2 warlord's command abilities acting together would work, if at all. 

Funny enough, I never had a chance to try Sayl. I bought him a few weeks before GHB17 and never even took him out of the blister. I felt scammed when the warscroll changed haha. Still have him new in box!

On 13-11-2017 at 6:13 PM, angrycontra said:

Warpfire thrower and poison wind mortar aren't sold because you can get them from that spire of dawn set (crappy solution, I know, but there's always ebay). As for rumours, well there's nothing to stand on really. Only noteworthy thing is that skaven have warband for shadespire, so that might promise some new stuff for them in the future.

Given the fact that all the other warbands were subpar, I doubt Shadespire will add anything interresting. At most a 100 point unit with some uses here and there. It really doubt that it'll be good enough to fix the army issues as a whole :(. Still  looking forward to some new rats for conversions though! :)

Peeps, assembling 20 Plague Monks (actually as proxies for Skryre Acolytes, but that’s another story), but wanting to assemble them as an effective unit in case I ever do get into Pestilens shenanigans - could anyone recommend the best weapons / banners etc to build into a unit of 20?

Cheers!! 

32 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Peeps, assembling 20 Plague Monks (actually as proxies for Skryre Acolytes, but that’s another story), but wanting to assemble them as an effective unit in case I ever do get into Pestilens shenanigans - could anyone recommend the best weapons / banners etc to build into a unit of 20?

Cheers!! 

You can take all banners and musicians to every plague monk unit (gw even confirmed this on faq). Only the champion item and weapons must be picked. As for weapons, honestly they're pretty even. Staffs are better when buffed to max but swords are better stand alone.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:05 PM, angrycontra said:

You can take all banners and musicians to every plague monk unit (gw even confirmed this on faq). Only the champion item and weapons must be picked. As for weapons, honestly they're pretty even. Staffs are better when buffed to max but swords are better stand alone.

I built all with blades because the idea of counting two separate weapon ranges every combat seems annoying.  You're rolling enough dice with 20 monks swinging with blades on the charge and re-rolling hits anyway.  60 attacks on 4+ to hit and usually 2+ to wound if withering properly, re-rolling hits with blades and rerolling wounds with tomes, you don't even need the woe staff.

11 hours ago, tolstedt said:

I built all with blades because the idea of counting two separate weapon ranges every combat seems annoying.  You're rolling enough dice with 20 monks swinging with blades on the charge and re-rolling hits anyway.  60 attacks on 4+ to hit and usually 2+ to wound if withering properly, re-rolling hits with blades and rerolling wounds with tomes, you don't even need the woe staff.

You cannot mix blades and woe staves in a unit anyway. If you take a look at the warscroll, it pretty clearly says they are armed with one or the other. What @angrycontra is saying is that you can have any number and more than one type of banner in the unit.

You may have misunderstood his statement about comparisons woe staves and blades? He is comparing a unit of bladed vs a unit of staves, not a "mixed" unit of bladed and staves as that isnt legal. 

11 minutes ago, Flood said:

You cannot mix blades and woe staves in a unit anyway. If you take a look at the warscroll, it pretty clearly says they are armed with one or the other. What @angrycontra is saying is that you can have any number and more than one type of banner in the unit.

You may have misunderstood his statement about comparisons woe staves and blades? He is comparing a unit of bladed vs a unit of staves, not a "mixed" unit of bladed and staves as that isnt legal. 

You can arm each model with either 2 blades or 1 blade / 1 staff, so you absolutely can mix the weapons. I believe that's what he meant - and when fully buffed, the blade/staff becomes stronger (due to the Verminlord Corruptor command ability).

34 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

You can arm each model with either 2 blades or 1 blade / 1 staff, so you absolutely can mix the weapons. I believe that's what he meant - and when fully buffed, the blade/staff becomes stronger (due to the Verminlord Corruptor command ability).

"Some UNITS of plague monks are armed with foetid blades." Meaning the entire unit. "OTHER UNITS are armed with a foetid blade and woe stave," meaning an entirely separate unit, armed intirely with 1 foetid blade and 1 woe staves. You cannot have a mixture of double foetid blades and foetid woestaves. 

Screenshot_20171125-021303.png

I think we are misunderstanding each other, as the wording overlaps a bit. Just saying "blade(s)" and "stave(s) gets confusing" 

2 hours ago, Flood said:

You cannot mix blades and woe staves in a unit anyway.

Any woe staves taken are automatically also blades, as the only legal way to wield them are together (1 and 1).   

2 hours ago, Flood said:

not a "mixed" unit of bladed and staves as that isnt legal. 

This is what I was responding to, though to be fair I did not notice the second portion of that post. Your wording made it sound like you thought the options did not allow one to mix foetid blade and woe staves on the same unit - when that is only one of two options. Apologies if that's not what was meant to be conveyed. 

What are peoples' thoughts regarding Skryre allegiance abilities? Is it worth doing full Skryre for the allegiance abilities or just going Chaos and mixing skaven? Some of the command traits seem pointless- Deranged Inventor literally only benefits Doomwheels and how likely are they to remain within 6" of the general for more than a single turn??

5 hours ago, Flood said:

"Some UNITS of plague monks are armed with foetid blades." Meaning the entire unit. "OTHER UNITS are armed with a foetid blade and woe stave," meaning an entirely separate unit, armed intirely with 1 foetid blade and 1 woe staves. You cannot have a mixture of double foetid blades and foetid woestaves. 

That's exactly what everyone is saying.

5 hours ago, Flood said:

No, I understood.

My idea was that it is easier to measure one weapon range rather than two, so I take blades only instead of blades and staves.

4 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

What are peoples' thoughts regarding Skryre allegiance abilities? Is it worth doing full Skryre for the allegiance abilities or just going Chaos and mixing skaven? Some of the command traits seem pointless- Deranged Inventor literally only benefits Doomwheels and how likely are they to remain within 6" of the general for more than a single turn??

I often wonder about whether the Skryre allegiance is the way to go, then I remember that you get Stormfiends as Battleline. 

@tolstedt, @Freejack02

Ah I think the wording was just confusing me, and you’re right I think we’re all saying the same thing! I just thought / had interpreted that you were saying one unit can have both options available to them. That’s what “mixing” sounds like to me. If you ignore the concept of double blade or one blade one stave and just say “option A vs option B,” mixing implies a unit can have option A and B. Anyway, sorry for the confusion. 

Also, maybe I don’t totally understand the unit. Tostedt you said you built double blades so you wouldn’t have to count two separate weapon ranges? Why would you have to count two separate weapon ranges if the entire unit has “option B.” E.g. 1 blade and 1 stave. Are you just saying you don’t want to have to count 10 monks and say, 20 attacks with blades and 10 attacks with staves? That is how it works right? You make all the blade attacks on 4s and 4s (x20), then 10 stave attacks on 4s and 5s, right? Or do you mean it would bea annoying to figure out how many staves are in range as the staves have 2 inches and the blades 1 inch? I could see how that could be annoying because in a big unit, you would have to figure out how many staves you could attack with excluding their blades. 

Anyway, sorry for the confusion! Glad we’re all on the same page now. :)

EDIT: I just scrolled up and reread your comment @tolstedt. Noticed you mentioned that you didnt want to measure the RANGE of the weapon e.g. distance haha. I thought you meant weapon “range” as in type of weapon, not distance. Oh homonymns will be the death of me! :P

19 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Well I can't claim to be expert but that Skyre allegiance ability is a lot better than it might seem on the first glance. Here's couple of reasons why:

1. Excellent at finishing tough opponents. I'm sure lot of players can relate to situation, where that tough monster that heals if you don't kill it now, survives with like 2 wounds. With skyre ability it's really easy to just double damage and finish that monster off (also great at ensuring extra fleeing models for enemy unit).

2. Super powerfull with plague wind mortars. Doubling d6 or straight up 6 is insane for 60 point unit. 

3. When you consider it to be an ability that basically allows you to inflict free easy mortal wounds (since you double damage AFTER it succesfully passes enemy armor), it doesn't seem too shabby.

Also as far as command traits are considered, you only ever need 1 good command trait and that scavenger trait is the one for skyre. Artifacts could be better though but chaos ones aren't that much better anyway.

Only real disadvantage for Skyre is that there is no command ability apart from inspiring presence. Some people have used verminlord corruptor in mixed chaos, but if you ask me, getting couple extra attacks for single stormfiend unit isn't that impressive and can lead to complete overkill (unit of 6 stormfiends with melee weapons  and hit bonuses from packmaster(s) should destroy anything in their way anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the word on the a moulder army, nothing competitive I reckon but could be great fun. I have a 1,5K game coming up where I might take this:

40 giant rats, 6+4 rat ogres, 3 packmasters 4swarms. (This is basically all the moulder i have, couple more packmasters and giant rats I think)

This leaves 340 points unused, we allow 300pt allies at 1,5k. So I’m curious what my fellow general-leaders would add to this core? 

Both from thematic or strategic points of view are appreciated! 

Archived