Official Warhammer Community?

Groomy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Is it just me, or do the cartoon portraits make all the ladies who work at Warhammer Community look really attractive?

Down boy! ;)

I am a big fan. It's a very modern way to do outreach and PR, and we all know GW has been awful at that in the past decade or so. Keeping it to twiter and facebook instead of building a forum is smart, less work really. The website is very well put together also.

6 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Down boy! ;)

I am a big fan. It's a very modern way to do outreach and PR, and we all know GW has been awful at that in the past decade or so. Keeping it to twiter and facebook instead of building a forum is smart, less work really. The website is very well put together also.

It's another leap to where they should be in terms of tech and engagement. It reminds me of the kind of coverage Wizards of the Coast provide for D&D. It's way more in depth than what we've seen before - they seem to be catering for older gamers again. 

No https....

Yeah, but it did make me giggle. Because mature. [emoji1]
Quite frankly, I'm not too bothered about the site's design or decoration as I just grab it through an RSS feeder anyways. Seeing the reactions to it (especially the group photo) elsewhere on the web has been a little horrifying. Everything from downright misogyny through to one of my favourite (in an academic study kinda way) dakka posters has been losing his mind that people are "falling for it", whatever "it" is...

The content's good, and that's the point surely?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Yeah, but it did make me giggle. Because mature. emoji1.png
Quite frankly, I'm not too bothered about the site's design or decoration as I just grab it through an RSS feeder anyways. Seeing the reactions to it (especially the group photo) elsewhere on the web has been a little horrifying. Everything from downright misogyny through to one of my favourite (in an academic study kinda way) dakka posters has been losing his mind that people are "falling for it", whatever "it" is...

The content's good, and that's the point surely?

Not read dakka but have seen a few odd comments and just gone "really?"

It needed to be one-way traffic, too. I'm old (sad?) enough to remember when GW had an official message board, and that was a sh*t show back then.
(I managed to get banned by association, funny story).
The problem with forums for something that people care about is that it is a global discussion point for a very localised experience.
I like TGA because the overall tone is positive, but criticism is still possible.
One of my friends is on here and has a fantastic collection of warnings already, because his tone and how he talks about the hobby doesn't appear to make the jump from spoken hobby dialect to a text 'lingua franca'.
GW is very protective of it's brand and imagery, a quality that is desirable in most multinationals - but apparently in this case it's creepy and insidious.
Even the most rigourously modded forum can't prevent little Timmy picking up his Battle for Vedros kit, clicking to find out more and reading streams of animal-based carnal imagery regarding the latest product release because it isn't to someone's taste.
I'm also sick of the entitlement attached to phrases like "GW needs to listen to the fans".

In all honesty, it's all free content and we can pick and choose where we go to discuss it with internet friends if we feel like it.
It may not be to all tastes, but to have an actual problem with it is a bit... whiny?

3 hours ago, BaldoBeardo said:

It needed to be one-way traffic, too. I'm old (sad?) enough to remember when GW had an official message board, and that was a sh*t show back then.
(I managed to get banned by association, funny story).
The problem with forums for something that people care about is that it is a global discussion point for a very localised experience.
I like TGA because the overall tone is positive, but criticism is still possible.
One of my friends is on here and has a fantastic collection of warnings already, because his tone and how he talks about the hobby doesn't appear to make the jump from spoken hobby dialect to a text 'lingua franca'.
GW is very protective of it's brand and imagery, a quality that is desirable in most multinationals - but apparently in this case it's creepy and insidious.
Even the most rigourously modded forum can't prevent little Timmy picking up his Battle for Vedros kit, clicking to find out more and reading streams of animal-based carnal imagery regarding the latest product release because it isn't to someone's taste.
I'm also sick of the entitlement attached to phrases like "GW needs to listen to the fans".

In all honesty, it's all free content and we can pick and choose where we go to discuss it with internet friends if we feel like it.
It may not be to all tastes, but to have an actual problem with it is a bit... whiny?

This is something so magnified by the anonymous nature of the internet. They'll do studies on this. It'll end up being a massive chapter in some magic sci-fi paper history book.

I mean, I have loved and followed tabletop games, video games, board games since I was a kid. Before I had regular 'net (I got it at 17! I'm only 34 so I was just slow to the bandwagon!) I'm sure there were disagreements around hobbies, sports and such but nowadays hoo boy.

That lack of face to face. What has it done?! :D

Anonymity, emotional immaturity, perhaps some social maladjustment (all these people claiming the 'I'm a bit autistic' badge apparently) - it runs rife. You don't even need to dig deep. You wonder who knows they're trolling, who doesn't, who really cares about how they're perceived?

I love vidya gaems, I love esports, I love the information at my fingertips but I cringe at the frankly terrifyingly huge swathe of unstable people with 0 self awarness on the net.

There's two things I want to say as they seem like the contradict each other but they don't:

1. I am passionate about these kinds of hobbies and I think it's cool people are too!

2. People who are too passionate about these kinds of hobbies need to take a break.

There's 2 types of passion, maybe there's two types of passionate people.

There's the passion that drives people to do and create excellent things with other like minded souls against the odds... and there's the passion that drives people to stalk and abuse someone through all communication channels available like a beast possessed!

And my final point that I have to add because everything in life is a beautiful balance is this:

Sometimes the scary ones have a point. Often they are in the same 'team' as more reasonable people who want to present that point. It's just that the point is buried under bile and the fact that that truth is down there, tarnished, drives more and more to claim things like 'censorship' or <insert any political slogan you like> (all this applies to politics too but there's no need to bring that here).

People can't talk with other people anymore when they've opposing viewpoints, maybe they never really could!

PS

What I've presented above is a series of ideas congealed (haphazardly) into one opinion. I may also have presented it wrongly and/or included incorrect information. Maybe someone might feel I was having a go at them, I hope that's not the case! It was not the intent. I know these kinds of crazies are out there but I've only talked with a handful.

Which is weird because it feels like there are so many of them.

If anyone wants to debate a bit that's cool! I'm super open to having my opinion changed or being educated!

11 hours ago, BaldoBeardo said:

I fully agree. Felt the same way about the shitstorm YouTube got for introducing Red, or the flak Facebook got the last weeks for not controlling 'fake news'. Both are businesses with a brand to protect and a financial agenda. Nothing wrong with it. Nothing wrong with GW starting of by presenting rules that includes not linking to other products or sites. If anybody has a problem with it don't use it. They owe you nothing and the only way you can always influence them is with your wallet and/or attention. 

Archived