Official Warhammer Community?

Groomy

What do you guys think it will include? 

"We have something on the way next week, we think you're going to love:
A new website, which will be the home of the Warhammer Community on the web, with content for every one of you, no matter what corner of the Warhammer hobby you're interested in.

We'll have more news for you soon, so stay posted..."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forum that will go up for 9 days before being dismantled, Dissolved in acid and the remaining solution jettisoned into space after the incredibly hard to please community mentions a subjective opinion. 

EDIT: In hindsight this makes me look like a pessimist, I am all on board with the new Gee Dub Direction of actually embracing their player base :)

I dislike the idea of an official AoS site from gw, purely down to the hatred give  towards the game by people who now have left.

They hate it and nothing will change their minds. and I can't see allowing toxic people in to be anything but bad.

I prefer the idea of gw having secret hands in various websites and just use those sources of information to gather opinion of changes. 

Generals handbook went down well, inviting pillars of the community who talk to their followers regularly for discussion on creating  points system based on community comp systems worked well.

The FAQ on Facebook went down well, they should do more of it tbh.

They need to utilise things such as twitch and YouTube better, do live Q&As on rules and get the easy ones out the way fast, and show some of the thought process behind it. 

I'd love to see some live stream painting going on whilst they discuss something GW based, or live streamed games from the guys who done the warlords stream, hell the guys doing the white dwarf "tale of  four warlords" thing could live stream their stuff, blood bowl, gorechosen, kill team etc etc.

With them being THE company they'd easily get the numbers, and other people would want to try it themselves and it would progress the standards going forth. 

There is so much untapped potential behind youtube and twitch, it would be a shame to see games workshop not utilise it and rely solely on a limited resource like a forum.

If anyone from games-workshop reads this, I'd love to help out ;)

For those who don't remember, GW used to have their own official message board. It was a complete cesspit and was not missed when they axed it.

If they want to run their own forum I hope they're willing to put in what's needed to make it work. The only thing people want from official forums is actual company response. Even though GW nowadays mixes in some steps forwards with their steps backwards in customer relations I can't see them evolving drastically enough to make this work.

But hey, if this is the new golden age of GW actually treating its product and customers like it cares then I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, daedalus81 said:

It would be nice if it has some tools to organize questions for faqs and more freely transfer game issues to devs.

OMG if they had a question form and if everyone could vote on a question not having a good answer. Man that would be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sexy. Like nothing... nothing would be better lmao.

Gut feeling is it won't be a forum or at least a forum as we know it.  My call is it's more likely a hub to connect the various social media platforms (including Twitch), a way of sharing pictures if you don't do instagram/flickr and possibly some resources for building your own fan website or similar.

I spoke to the rules guys last weekend and apparently the weren't expecting the response they received to the FAQ's - they estimated about 10% of what they actually got so were completely under prepared for dealing with them.  They did say that it was in hand though (although I'm not sure it'd be appropriate for a community style website).

Setting aside the trolls and the hate that might come, community interaction is cool! But I think GW need to keep that same dividing line between 'interaction' and 'taking orders from'.

It's an invisible line often (to a consumer) but a business can't do what the community wants or votes on unless they are presented with pre-vetted choices (that work from a business perspective).

I see a lot of people get high hopes and expectations for companies that start a real community-centric drive (I mostly see it in the video game industry at the moment). These are the people who view others as the source of cess and whinge. These are the people who feel they're above that kind of thing.

In spite of that, these people rush to bombard GW with requests. There's this complete chaotic porridge of requests and shouting and crying for a million different things. Let's take 3 samples:

• Redjim wants an incredibly niche miniature updated for him alone - he thinks EVERYONE will buy it when done. 
  • Carolapola knows that the ONLY thing on EVERYONE'S mind is the slight misunderstanding about that small typo that makes one rule a bit vague.
  • Stephojam insists that GW keeps the physical books as up to date as the digital books.

They start off calm and matter of fact because they believe that the very mention of these issues by them will result in timely fixes. By timely they envisoin a few days or maybe a week. Heck they could make the change themselves in a few hours so there's no reason why GW can't do it right away! Immediately!

So they wait by the screen, refreshing. Some people agree - ofc they do! Who wouldn't. But no GW response yet. Better bump the post with an emphasis (unintentionally their impatience leaks into their wording and the first kind of negativity is birthed into the thread).

Refresh.

Refresh.

GW response! They thank me and they will take it under consideration... Weird way of wording 'We're going to fix that' but okay!

And then the thing is not fixed or not actioned because GW had their own project plan already. Or it's added to a list drawn from the forums which is left to gather dust. Or it takes 6 months but it IS sorted out. 

So you've masses of people incapable of handling the apparent refusal of their own little crusade going bananas. And not one of them thinks they're negative, thinks they did anything wrong. Technically, apart from how they're not accepting a business reality, they have done nothing wrong. Except get toxic.

But from a personal pov, no one is ever the bad guy.

And from GWs perspective all they can do is really, truly, only manage the community, you don't do what they ask. It doesn't work.

Even if some requests make sense the sheer bulk of requests are going to be minor, low priority or even just inane.

Real life kind of reflects this and a mob can't lead.

I dunno where I'm going! This post is losing it's 'thrust' given I'm working and coming back to it, working and coming back to it.

It starts to sound bitter but I'm not! I think it's important that companies listen to their communities and acknowledge that.

But for me, for communities I manage, I tell people outright 'That's probably never going to happen even though it's sensible, you've reported a small issue and I know it's tough for you to know what is and isn't small and large but, well, sorry!'

Tell me how jaded I am! lol

Ooh! I could talk about this topic forever:

The best communities are those that are run as Utopian on the outside but silent and deadly dictatorships on the inside. Not every voice matters, popular issues matter.

Not everyone has a right to say what they feel all the time because the higher ups can actually be SCARED to go in and read a forum. They feel so personally attacked (often because they're actually being personally attacked).

The problem here is, while the community is clean, presentable and a neat tool to be drawn on for ideas by the designers/developers/management, ppl complain about censorship all. the. time.

Man, who else has worked extensively on forums/communities? It's so interesting, it's like a microcosm of society in a lot of respects.

My request to build a wargaming club on the moon was not insane @Turragor

Not sure why so many people assumed it will be a forum. Not even sure if it's gonna have any kind of interaction other than the name. 

Whatever type of hobbyist you are – this website is for you.

For dedicated painters, there will be loads of articles on process and technique. For the avid gamers among you, we’ll have helpful tips and tactics, and for those of you who love the background and lore of the Warhammer settings, there will be a wealth of resources and insights. You’ll find content on Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer Age of Sigmar, alongside articles on Black Library fiction and Forge World news. We’ll have details for Warhammer events across the world, exclusive interviews with the people behind the models and books you love, as well as articles full of hobby content written by experts from the Warhammer Community – gamers and painters just like you.

In all, we’ve taken everything you know and love about the blog, and grown it into everything you could wish for in an official Warhammer Community site. It’s all coming, this time next week.

Stay posted for more news soon...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/blog/blog.jsp

What I do truly hope for is that this new website will be a quality build from the perspective of professional web devs and immortal principles of UI/UX.

Intuitive navigation, minimalistic layout instead of shoving everything on one block, descriptive texts with info as well as fluff (they been doing better recently) and with the ability to zoom in so close that I could see layers of paints on Fyreslayer's boils. My "insane" wish is for SVG images of 2k+ resolution. Can be done through CDN with no damage to site-speed. 

Since we are a community of valuing micro details, it's only natural to be able to look at all the features closely and not be fed a grainy 150x150 image of a table lol

GW site is stuck in the previous age. Looks don't need to change, the usability however needs a reboot. It would be much more pleasant to spend time sitting on a leather recliner instead of sitting butt naked on a chair made of porcupine skin. But whom do I kid... We'll all end up spending hours on it regardless. 

We don't need a forum. I don't want to share one with those dirty 40kers! Plus TGA is a great place, no need to replicate it.

I do believe from the wording that it will a source of fluff, articles, videos etc, so they can leave the GW, Black Library and Forgeworld sites as purely sales centric.

Reading some of the speculation about what it might include reveals that expectations are not being kept in check!

I too hope it's not just a forum though.

I also hope it's not just a new place for their 'links to products' to live.

They don't need to do that all the time, just here and there and after they've crossed their t's and dotted their i's

Like the David Soper Farseer that won the slayer sword there, they posted a news item about it on FB without the winner's name but with a link to the Farseer model for people to buy.

56 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I also hope it's not just a new place for their 'links to products' to live.

They don't need to do that all the time, just here and there and after they've crossed their t's and dotted their i's

Like the David Soper Farseer that won the slayer sword there, they posted a news item about it on FB without the winner's name but with a link to the Farseer model for people to buy.

You just made me wanna cry. 

And yes, the sole amount of links directed towards "buy" just makes the company image smell too much of desperation and too little of care for community. 

I propose we move back to the topic of the new website. I'm sure we all got a few grudges with the Sherwood Forest Wargrove but I'd rather not see this turned into GW bashing session. There's too many out there as is. This community bought my favor by the sheer amount of positive stuff happening here and it is for this reason I hope its not gonna be a forum. There's no need for another TGA and I doubt the job can be done much better. 

2 hours ago, Groomy said:

You just made me wanna cry. 

And yes, the sole amount of links directed towards "buy" just makes the company image smell too much of desperation and too little of care for community. 

I propose we move back to the topic of the new website. I'm sure we all got a few grudges with the Sherwood Forest Wargrove but I'd rather not see this turned into GW bashing session. There's too many out there as is. This community bought my favor by the sheer amount of positive stuff happening here and it is for this reason I hope its not gonna be a forum. There's no need for another TGA and I doubt the job can be done much better. 

oh I agree! I am nitpicking only.

All things right now are positive.

I don't even view product links as negative, perhaps you see them so hence you caught a different flavour from my post :)

I understand the links to products 100%.

What I was more saying was that I just think they don't really need to do that unless it's like a ton of bits in an imaginative kitbash on show. People know where stuff is.

Driving the better community sells better in the long run.

46 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I don't even view product links as negative, perhaps you see them so hence you caught a different flavour from my post :)

I understand the links to products 100%.

Oh I wouldn't assume to know what was in your mind. Was just saying from my viewpoint that it wasn't at all pleasant. 

I look forward to see what the future hold for the community since much of what the past year had was nothing but surprisingly pleasant. 

It may be forums, but given the recent gallery using people's photos from instagram, it may be more of a celebration of community creation. Would love to see them promoting community made scenarios and campaigns, events and media. A hub for the content thats already out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived