Let's chat Grotz and Moonclan

MidasKiss

What about combining the moonclan and ironjawz?  Something along the lines of this:

• 40 grots - battleline - spears/nets
  • 40 grots - battleline - spears/nets
  • 20 grots - battleline - bows
  • 3x2 fanatics - 2 for each unit of grots
  • grot warboss
  • grot shaman

• 10 brutes - gore hackas, gore choppa, boss klaw
  • 5 brutes/3 gruntas - choppas, gore choppa, boss klaw
  • 5 brutes/3 gruntas - choppas, gore choppa, boss klaw
  • Ironfist
  • megaboss
  • warchanter

There are 80 points left over for a 2000 point game, which could easily be 2 fanatics, another shaman.  The theory would be to use the two blocks of grots to take/hold objectives or act as the anvil.  The big unit of brutes would be supported with the megaboss and warchanter to be the hammer.  Then the two remaining units of ironjawz and the grots with bows would act as a reserve to fill in where needed.

Maybe use the two units of gruntas instead of two units of brutes because you would need the mobility to get around all those grots.  It might be good to give all the orruks gore hackas so they can reach around grots to get in attacks.  However, this list is still very light on ranged attacks.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't do too badly with them at Clash:

• 2 x Warbosses with Prodders
  • 3 x Grot Shaman
  • 40 x Moonclan
  • 40 x Moonclan
  • 40 x Moonclan (bows)
  • 3 x 2 Fanatics (2 per unit)
  • 18 Squigs
  • 6 Herders
  • 2 Bolt Throwers
  • 1 Orruk Chariot

The Chariot was because I'd just painted it and wanted to use it. The 40 goblins are brilliant and the archers killed a unit of 40 Bloodletters in one game with all the command boosts

However, still haven't played enough with them (played the first 3 games assuming the squigs had one wound!) so need more practice.

I do think the Moonclan scroll may be FAQd in some independant tournaments in 2017 though so look out for that happening.

6 hours ago, Skeekrit said:

I didn't do too badly with them at Clash:

• 2 x Warbosses with Prodders
  • 3 x Grot Shaman
  • 40 x Moonclan
  • 40 x Moonclan
  • 40 x Moonclan (bows)
  • 3 x 2 Fanatics (2 per unit)
  • 18 Squigs
  • 6 Herders
  • 2 Bolt Throwers
  • 1 Orruk Chariot

The Chariot was because I'd just painted it and wanted to use it. The 40 goblins are brilliant and the archers killed a unit of 40 Bloodletters in one game with all the command boosts

However, still haven't played enough with them (played the first 3 games assuming the squigs had one wound!) so need more practice.

I do think the Moonclan scroll may be FAQd in some independant tournaments in 2017 though so look out for that happening.

I love squigs, but they must flee i droves when it comes to that. I wish there was a way to mediate their bravery a bit better (like how in the spiderfang battalion you dont have to take battleshock near the arachnaroks.

That's a shame about the moonclan formation, it doesn't seem overly broken compared to what some formations give armies. Maybe a little strong? If they released a moonclan battletome it's not obvious to me that they wouldn't put it in there.

Do you mean banned for no good reason?

It's clear from the FAQ that keywords are backwards compatible - so they would need to actively ban it. Of course some people ban legacy scrolls because they hate Death and really hate Tomb Kings, which ends up junking 5 Destruction armies as collateral damage - Greenskinz, Moonclan, Gitmob, Gutbusters and Spiderfang. 

The Spiderfang are incredibly strong on the basis of one Arach and a very large unit of spiders. 

The formation is a lot less effective now that the rule of one stops you spamming the buff spell. 

Some people are taking Spiderfang and then supplementing with Thunderturds and Moonclan Grots as Battleline. Hideously strong!

2 hours ago, Nico said:

The Spiderfang are incredibly strong on the basis of one Arach and a very large unit of spiders. 

The formation is a lot less effective now that the rule of one stops you spamming the buff spell. 

Some people are taking Spiderfang and then supplementing with Thunderturds and Moonclan Grots as Battleline. Hideously strong!

What is the Rule of One.  Sorry new player

What do you think of this list, for a Spiderfang / Gitmob mix? Could drop an Arachnarock for another 300 points worth of something which could also be nice. I figure you can camp your war machines at the back / on the back objective within a circle of grots, then move 40 with a shaman one way, and the spiders out the other way to be able to contest 3 fairly easily, and definitely be able to threaten 4 objectives. Has decent range, good bodies and some mortal wound output on the spiders.

Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
Gitmob Grot Shaman (80)

Gitmob Grots x 40 (200)
Gitmob Grots x 40 (200)
Gitmob Grots x 40 (200)
Grot Spider Riders x 20 (400)

War Machines
Grot Spear Chukka (120)
Grot Spear Chukka (120)

Total: 1980/2000

@MidasKiss im not sur i follow you. Sorry i dont want to hightjak the tread but sur that i fallow what you said. Hold compendium whit new warscroll. Did i build something not leagual by doind the spiderfang venom mob becose i have already have all the model for it. Your list look my second option.  I was looking to buy the Mantic Goblin mega force and convert the unit whit knife and shield by swaping the shield whit a bow so that i have 2 unit of 40 model whit bow and 1 unit whit whit 40 midel whit spear.

I guess some people think that GW didn't want people to use them in new armies and that's why they left the battalion warscrolls in the old Orcs and Goblins section. 

It's the exact opposite - GW very clearly do want people to keep using old armies (why would they turn away customers), which is why there's the backwards compatibility answer in the FAQ (page 6 right column) for old keywords; and why the old formations have points. The compendium is a list of models no longer sold - it's not for gameplay reasons.

The older formations are useable unless the TO has banned compendium scrolls.

I guess some people think that GW didn't want people to use them in new armies and that's why they left the battalion warscrolls in the old Orcs and Goblins section. 
It's the exact opposite - GW very clearly do want people to keep using old armies (why would they turn away customers), which is why there's the backwards compatibility answer in the FAQ (page 6 right column) for old keywords; and why the old formations have points. The compendium is a list of models no longer sold - it's not for gameplay reasons.
The older formations are useable unless the TO has banned compendium scrolls.

Thanks Nico. I will delete my post as not to confuse people. With that in mind I don't get any reason at all that it's even come up as a possible issue

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Good list @MidasKiss

You could also take one large unit (40 or even 60) Gitmob Grots with bows and Sneaky Stabbing, then take two 20 Moonclan Grot with cutters and netters units and some 1 man units of fanatics. This covers you from Skyborne Slayers and Bloodletter bomb.

If they do Warrior Brotherhood, then they kill all the chaff, but you counterpunch with Spiders and Grot archers (who are on 3+ to hit, 4+ to wound and -1 rend from memory).

I'm starting to get on the side of the idea that a 20 strong unit of moonclan isn't a waste of points, with sufficient nets, cutters and charge blocking fanatics. Sure, they won't do damage but they're going to be pretty helpful in jerking your opponent around.

2 hours ago, Nico said:

Good list @MidasKiss

You could also take one large unit (40 or even 60) Gitmob Grots with bows and Sneaky Stabbing, then take two 20 Moonclan Grot with cutters and netters units and some 1 man units of fanatics. This covers you from Skyborne Slayers and Bloodletter bomb.

If they do Warrior Brotherhood, then they kill all the chaff, but you counterpunch with Spiders and Grot archers (who are on 3+ to hit, 4+ to wound and -1 rend from memory).

Yeah gitmob whit bow will be my go unit to support my Spider Rider. But i wait a little to see if the will release new midel for goblin because Gitmob goblin midel are horrible

2 hours ago, Splax said:

But i wait a little to see if the will release new midel for goblin because Gitmob goblin midel are horrible

I felt very much the same way. But, then somehow they grew on me. With a little bit of alteration, you can make them look really good. I do my best to eliminate the Mongolian motif in some of the pieces. As well, a little cutting on their bodies make the arms fit more naturally - I also use greenstuff to pose the arms a bit.

I also used to think they were weirdly gigantic, but the way the models are going, it looks like they're about to be the appropriate size... 

But I hated them so much for a very long time. I don't know what flipped in my brain to make me really like them. That said, who knows when new models would be. I wanted to run gitmob and didn't want to wait.

Yeah it's a pain. Circle bases make that slightly easier - they don't tip over as easily. I personally don't use trays though - I play with enough terrain to make them useless very quickly.

I've thought of doing multiple small trays, like thin and long to fit a row of grots, or blobs enough to fit 10 or so. That might make things easier, until you have to bottleneck.

Am I correct in thinking they come with squares? And if so how are you getting rounds, I have seen lasercut mdf ones but didnt wanna drop money on them until finding other peoples opinions. I am worried about being too slow moving everything in a game so I am definitely considering movement trays. 

Great idea on the modular ones though

Yeah they're all still squares. I just buy some other wargame bases - 25mm from Infinity, I think it was? They're fine. Not as sturdy as GW if I had to nitpick. They're thin and come with rails on the bottom if you need to cut a slot (which I certainly did for my BfSP Night Gobs). 

Yes they're slow to move, but they're going to die quickly so don't worry about it!

Archived