The Generals Handbook

Ben

I really can't wait to see the Matched Play stuff.  I feel like they have already roped me into the narrative/scenario driven game play- points and army list structure will just be great options for pick up games/tournaments.  I hope they get creative with the way lists are built, as in not just a points/model system.  Seems almost like you would have to given synergies and formations, etc...  Summer feels so far away!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/27/2016 at 0:44 PM, HobbyHammer said:

I would reckon base cost 650 with option for upgrades.

I heard from local GW manager that a bloodthirster is 700pts (apparently he saw it in the book) So I can see archaon being 1000 or more.

I know we have awesome tool which is Scrollbuilder. Wonder though, with the release of matched play if we will be blessed by GW with proper tool for roster building #FingersCrossedForProperAppNotOnlyForApple

first off I would like to say that episode of HellanHammer has me stoked even more so now, great episode guys !

I am very excited about this book and the changes it will bring. AoS has been such a refreshing game and one that it is very flexible that these play how you want changes will only enhance the game, and like was stated before attract maybe some of those who weren't totally into it before. Anyways I see this book as just bring more great things to the AoS system.

Adding Matched Play will broaden the interest for sure. I'm personally looking forward to campaign play, as our current Path to Glory campaign is wrapping up. It took a whole mountain of faff to create rules and tables for the other Realmgods (the original supplement only has the Chaos gods). I was working on a second version, but now something official is coming down the pipeline I reckon we can wait for that.

18 hours ago, PJetski said:

I'm psyched about Match Play

I hope they don't include the Core Tax again

Same. That is my concern. That they add limitations in Matched Play that go against the ethos of AoS. I want to continue to see the wild variation in forces we've seen.

Personally I like large army face off. It just look awesome. But I don't fancy restriction too much either... But for competitive play, reckon they need sth to square the boundary... 

On 4/27/2016 at 3:57 PM, Ben Johnson said:

You are all going to be very happy come the summer ?

Definitely excited.

My main hopes are that 1) a sideboard/pool dynamic is maintained for organized/match play and 2) a simple approach is put in place for periodically updating the meta/points values.

15 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Definitely excited.

My main hopes are that 1) a sideboard/pool dynamic is maintained for organized/match play and 2) a simple approach is put in place for periodically updating the meta/points values.

Is a side board strictly necessary I wonder? Could it not be bring what you like in the same Grand Alliance but only deploy up X pool choices? With pools begin simpler that points do lists need to be checked in advance? Just tally up as you deploy.

Here is some info i recived. With just a too blurry picture and a Text. And one thing i am wondering is why it spelled Lizatdmen and not Seraphon. But we will see in the near future.

quc48tfm.jpg

Bad Dice schrieb:

Then match play where there’s going to be actual points from Games Workshop for the Age of Sigmar models. You can play matched games, practise games, pickup games, friendly games, games where you can just turn up against another person and not need any discussion and just get your armies out of a box.

These are actually going to be 2,000 points, so it’sproper harking back to classic Warhammer (Fantasy).
2,000 points is kind of the 2 hour, 2 and a half hour battle.
There’s different level of battle in the book, different points values. That’s the beauty of it as Wayne said earlier, I think you can … this book is for people who want to play small battles of a few models and epic battles. It’s all in here.
Full rules for 5 different types of campaigns including Path to Glory
22 all new battle plans with Path to Glory-sized games with small war bands all the way up to huge knighted battles including all the biggest, largest heroes similar to what was in the End Time books.
Rules for multi player and team games as well which is cool.
Then points values again, for every … see, I can’t stop smiling when I say this. Points values for every war scroll and war scroll battalion in the Age of Sigmar.

4 minutes ago, UrbanJesus said:

Maybe it's just using the old names as it's a work in progress or whatever while they come up with the points. Maybe theyve been working on it since before AoS dropped, or maybe it's a fake.

Or maybe the points for things like Jungle Swarms, Oxyotl, Skink Chief, etc. belong under Lizardmen, where they still are in the app.

Not saying anything to the veracity of such a strange photo, but I would think the legacy PDFs would go by all their old names, while the new are new. They've said they'd point-costed all the legacy stuff, so there's that. I personally hope there is something about not mixing from legacy High Elves and new Order units, as it bugs my fluff brain. The legacy stuff I see as basically playing in the Old Word. But interested for whatever. Min/max unit size is an interesting idea.

@polarbear I wouldn't worry too much about GW officially ruling whether or not we can mix old and new. I think that the community and T.O.'s will sort that out. Same thing with base sizes, house rules, and eventually composition restrictions. My guess is that GW just says: "take these ideas and run with them; mix and match as you please." They are just trying to supply lots of ways for people to organize their games. Ultimately, it is up to us to choose how we play.

Nah mate we've all just been conditioned to look at fluff in a very limiting way in the past, and it's a way that's not accurate anymore.

In the past, if a new armybook came out, it completely 100% invalidated/negated anything that was out there before.  In classic Warhammer, something like Grand Alliance: Death would absolutely mean that there are exactly 0 Sphinxes in the whole Mortal Realms - if it's not in the book, doesn't exist.

The setup for Age of Sigmar is something different.  These books are explicitly, by stated design, non-prescriptive.  Grand Alliance: Death doesn't have any Sphinxes in it, and yet the fluff contains scattered references to Sphinxes to this day.  Sphinxes are a thing, and yet they are not in the book.

The Battletomes and Grand Alliances are no longer self-contained complete lists of models acceptable to play in the Age of Sigmar paradigm.  They are catalogues of model kits currently for sale at the time of printing.  Nothing more.  Nobody at GW is claiming, either implicitly or explicitly, that the Dispossessed of Azyr (ie. the faction of Duardin described in the Grand Alliance: Order book) only use Cannons and Organ Guns now, and Flame Cannons, Bolt Throwers, and Grudge Throwers don't exist.  They are only telling us that Cannons and Organ Guns are the only ones still available for sale here on Earth.

Archived