New Member - Looking for my AoS Mojo

Saulot

Hey guys!

New forum member David here.

Been into Warhammer since the mid-90s, started with 5th, collected bits (minis and lore) from 6th to 7th, went all in on 8th. Dabbled with community rules after the the world that was imploded, but got a little tired of the constant updates / tweaking / optimizing / arguing on their forums.

Now, I'm here.

I have a few armies I can build up in AoS (Moonclan Grots, Tzeentch, Freeguilds, Aelfs (the dark but orderly kind), etc.), and I'd like to see which ones are the most exciting to get into. That is the primary  reason why I've signed up with you lot. :)

Hope I find what I'm looking for!

Cheers!

Yeah, I'm big on FUN versus WIN armies. I almost exclusively played Bretonnians during 8th.. and was just getting into Beastmen as the first End of Times book was released. 

I also had a small Night Goblin army that I used to get people interested in WFB before. hehehe

As for your question, I guess the Moonclans are in the lead now, I have lots of them painted already and I have all the kits I need for at least the 1000pts for matched play. Just a matter of really committing to AoS and ripping the square bases off the little buggers. hahaha

Same with Freeguild and Aelfs, I was amassing a 2500pt WFB Empire and 2000pt Dark Elves army when things changed so I just need bases and a few kits for them. Tzeentch is an option because I loved the minis in Silver Tower and I got the game plus 2 boxes of Horrors.  

:D

From what I understand, (WARNING: Probable wrong opinion incoming!)

Moonclan are pretty good competitively but they have very similar lists. (for getting games in asap they would be a good choice)

Tzeentch have rumoured new kits coming in the new year.

Freeguilds are one of the better mixed armies now with lots of variation, customisation and so on, however I wouldnt expect mjch in the way of new releases.

Dark Aelfs have pointy ears.

When AoS first came out I got into all the new Khorne stuff but decided I hated all the kits half way through spending a fortune.Then had to take a while out to focus on RL and I am now settling back in with Nurgle and really enjoying it. Mostly because of the simple scheme for troops but the ability to get indepth with big units and the conversion possibilities. I would highly recommend any chaos army if, like me, you spend your nights awake thinking of how to personalise your army with the next scratchbuilt model!

1 hour ago, Mohojoe said:

Moonclan are pretty good competitively but they have very similar lists. (for getting games in asap they would be a good choice)

Tzeentch have rumoured new kits coming in the new year.

Freeguilds are one of the better mixed armies now with lots of variation, customisation and so on, however I wouldnt expect mjch in the way of new releases.

Dark Aelfs have pointy ears.

haha poor Aelfs! 

Looking forward to new kits for Tzeentch! Hope the rumours pan out. ^_^

Good to have you here David!  

I'd agree with my esteemed colleagues that Moonclan are pretty powerful although its hard to say as I'm an Aelf at heart (and a Daughter of Khaine follower at that!).  I rebased 7000 points of square based Aelves in a couple of evenings - I just cut the vertical lip off each square base and glued the flat surface onto a round base.  Then I built up the edge with some sand and voila! a round based army!

I got all my round bases cut by Sarissa for about £10 so it wasn't expensive at all!

jimbo

I love the elfs. The dark kind of course. The are versital, powerful and still so colorful. 

Disadvantages are that they are split up in so much different factions it can be difficult to get some synergy going. (Point and case the dreadlords ability that only affect exiles, which are currently dark riders, shades and de reaper bolt throwers. Although that last one is a sick combo ;) )

but still in my mind they are one of the most fun armies to play with (also have ogors, some skaven and dwarfs at home) and if the dark elf model from the tower game is an indication, good things are coming. 

So all in all. I wholeheartedly recommend DE but would also suggest playing a couple of games with the different armies and see what games stand out the most. And start the great rebasing there. 

Good of luck and welcome 

Welcome to TGA! 

Sadly the four armies you have to pick from are yet to see a battletome. Luckily, both Tzeentch and aelfs are rumored for next year. 

If you have more Moonclan, my advice would be just to play them until you see a book you like.

Also, remember that you're not limited to one faction. It's a difficult mindset to get out of, but you needn't collect 2000 points of any one thing. Free Guild and aelfs would make a nice combined Order force, for example. 

Thoroughly good move coming to AoS though. It's a superb game, and probably the best edition of Warhammer to date. Enjoy yourself! 

@Jimbo thanks for the tip! That's the first I've heard of that idea to snip the sides of my bases. It does sound like a quick and easy way to re-base an army. 

@Kramer have to agree, the Shard model from Silver Tower is such a great sculpt! Absolutely loved the way it's instantly recognizable as "Dark Elf", but clearly not from the Old World! Very exciting to see full releases of Aelfs in the future! 

As to the faction issue, I'm drawn towards Order Serpentis. At 1000pts it seems pretty good, 2 behemoths, a fast unit, and fast and resilient (?) battleline. I'm just not sure if it has enough bodies for scenario games in AoS, and if they scale well in 2000pt and 2500pt games.

@hobgoblinclub I'll take your advice to start with Moonclan and get myself more familiar with how the game works. I'v only had a total of 3 games in AoS, and 0 matched play games! I admit I'm still trying to wrap my head around the small details, and I haven't really experienced AoS in a more structured way (versus the free-for-all madness it started out with).

Thanks again for the welcome, gents! 

7 hours ago, Saulot said:

As to the faction issue, I'm drawn towards Order Serpentis. At 1000pts it seems pretty good, 2 behemoths, a fast unit, and fast and resilient (?) battleline. I'm just not sure if it has enough bodies for scenario games in AoS, and if they scale well in 2000pt and 2500pt games.

To be honest as long as there is no new fluff i'm still stuck in thinking about the DE as one army as they once were. So for me mixing the factions is no issue. At 2000 points its definitely possible to get a core faction including detachment rules and support them with other factions. For example the exiled blood courts supported with some spearmen and so on. 

But to be honest looking at new lists such as clan Pestilens, Ironjaws, Fyreslayers or any other new army the selection is quite small. To me it fits into the theme of grand alliances that GW is pushing but I personally find a coherent look and fluff more important than getting that one free people cannon to support my DE. 

Archived