The restless barrows

Ademo

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet you all can't wait to see a non-zombie dragon update...well sadly, it is not this day...well actually maybe a tiny one. Firstly, obligatory vlozd update: almost done on the dragon itself - few details to go eg rusty chains, 1 claw that I forgot to attach and then basing around the feet. The skin/wings were a bit of a spur of the moment thing to be honest - it was initially all grey but decided that some green and purple might add a slight subtle rot/more realistic skin tone. In actual fact it seems to have done that a little bit but also give it a kind of pearly/fish effect. Randomly quite liking it though. I may just go back over on the wings to tone it done a bit with a pass of light grey but not sure, any thoughts?

And my non-vlozd update: Black knights, built and ready to spray!ad2d1bb13d6656e32c1013faefa2f976.jpgbb419607a3cde935546f4763209f2efb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Started work on my vampire's face. Tried to add some celtic/tribal tattoos but think I've dulled them a bit too much so they look overly faded and lack definition but will defo go back to them and make them a touch bolder. I found too that I've been a bit lumpy around the face so hopefully I can smooth it out a bit or I'll be starting again!

In other news, some morghasts arrived! Thinking I might paint them in a manner similar to the statues in the kemmler list or 'simulacra' as they are called.f5e7a4b3663d5ecf8f47043ef537e4a6.jpgce2b01c74b4e736f5afb838c0403595d.jpgf519c1f6fe5f03f269bd30aa2bb3af5d.jpg

Finally finished the vampire! Pretty pleased overall! Lots to work on for my list. Setting myself the challenge of getting a 2k army together by August for a tourney. Plus some extra bits for summoning if I get time. c08b0b08b73c895cfdb32eade246c209.jpg817498b558d2b9b26a268f9cb07820f4.jpg97edd464d9766440f3bc8ecf40ab7939.jpg

Rough basecoat and wash on the 'black' knights! Few subtle bits of pattern and check on the cloth which should tie them to the army theme. Was very hard not to make them look too bretonian but I think the gold armour should help that slightly.2fdf450fd6bc4fd383274e68f99def00.jpg

Decided to have a break from painting up bone - black knight horses have lots!!! So I painted up a wood for my dead friends to haunt! It also counts as tourney prep as each player needs to bring 5 pieces. It's surprisingly hard to get a good photo of the woods but hopefully you get the overall idea.93ffed518e05ab0ff228b4df6657ee26.jpgd618f7d7cc0a59f17bd5d97ec539c842.jpg

Haven't been paying enough attention to tga recently, bloody hell @Ademo, sterling stuff as always! The Ironbreaker shields work amazingly well and I love the warmer colours on the wight cav and vampire. (I also hate the seeming ease you paint freehand Celtic patterns with! ;))

The army needs a banshee to compliment the Celtic theme, stat! Fenbeasts at Ushabti?

TkhNJr7.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments @double misfire - I remember the Albion campaign fondly so the thought of a fenbeast pleases me greatly! The dark emissary would make a cool necromancer too!

Banshee is a definite for the future [emoji106]

• 3 weeks later...

Finished these guys off finally! They felt like they took a really long time! Fairly pleased with how they came out though and should look good with the rest of the army. In terms of having my 2k list painted, I need to finish 40 skeletons, 2 morghasts and a necromancer.

Anyone who wants to see how I got on with my first game can check out my battles thread:
http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/9998-the-restless-barrows-battles-etc/86414a6e246e101c3944c16c01e4fcdb.jpg3b9b136f6da57ec146ae5a15f531fda4.jpg

Anyone who can put that many colours on a single unit and still get a fantastic, coherent result deserves serious respect! Great work :)

Any thoughts on how you're going to tackle the Morghasts? I'm curious how you're planning to blend their high gothic look with your army's aesthetic. 

2 minutes ago, Ademo said:

Thanks alot! I *think* it may have been from the luminarch/hurricanum kit

Thank you for your reply, so most likely one of the sorcerers heads then. I'll have a look if I can find it on a bits site.

Haha thanks@Soulsmith I'll take that as a good thing! Had a painting surge today. I came to the sad conclusion that my method of painting bone on my skellies was neither fun or economical so I decided to give it a downgrade, relent and get my drybrush out. I tried a double drybrush of ushabti bone and then a conventional brush highlight of screaming skull (instead of layering on the ushabti rib by rib...)

As you can see, it does lose a bit of definition compared to the layering approach but I think for my sanity and deadline I can handle it! Once everything else is painted up, shields, clothes, metals etc I think the difference will be even less noticeable. I went back after this photo and added sone agrax along the spine and some of the lost details to make them pop a bit more.

On the plus side, today I painted 20 skeletons worth of bone using the above method and have basecoated everything else on the models. I can already feel a huge speed improvement!

Just need to get it all washed and layered up and I'm halfway through my 'skeletons to paint' pile [emoji16]
f9787a53f117c54e5f33bdae2becbe59.jpg604f65fea0ac3157f60f44a8a18c7a7b.jpg5d2d75fdc3fa4348a5defa617106171b.jpg

Archived