The restless barrows

Ademo

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the support guys! Poor lighting so will try to get better shots in the day light over the weekend but have now finished my 10 skellies - I will of course add to them with more skellies and command in the future.
79d21f78dab4f54b0c6c48e286060660.jpg
993373756de0342684dca8248cc88b11.jpg
And completed my terrain piece too!
568ac920a3c6a3ca507f2ea75e64914b.jpg
Sign reads 'barrows'

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It's my spare room! Though it was in the kitchen once, got old so I was allowed it. My wife would have a fit if I'd got paint on the downstairs one [emoji3] I do like the design - dunelm mill if you're in the UK.

They look absolutely excellent! (I've had Undead since 4th Ed, and have a rather large soft spot for them...)

Would you mind sharing your paint recipe for the dirt colours?  (I'm returning to painting after a 5+ year gap and am really struggling to get a dirt colour I actually like, and have lost my notes I used to go off of :()

@cordova thanks! 4th and 5th is roughly the kind of vibe I'm going before - undead as they were before the split in 6th, so glad to hear another fan of that kind of army!

By dirt, are you meaning on the base? If so, I basecoated it leather brown (army painter) though gorthor brown from gw is pretty close. I use leather brown as I undercoat spray the whole mini in it. Then its a case of drybrusing on skragg brown, tallarn sand, ushabti and screaming skull.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know and welcome back to the hobby!

I am so turned on by your ambition, dude. This is phenomenal. It is one thing to see one or two models being painted extremely well. OK great, We've seen the whole Golden Daemon ****** before. But when an army is painted, based, and themed the way you do your Ogres as well as these guys, it is something extraordinary in my opinion.

Great job, just damn great job!

23 minutes ago, Ademo said:

@cordova thanks! 4th and 5th is roughly the kind of vibe I'm going before - undead as they were before the split in 6th, so glad to hear another fan of that kind of army!

Yup, it'll be fun to follow your painting log. :)  Might have to get some of the "new" skellies (mine are all either metal, or the Tomb Kings-style ones before they were used for that...), after I work my way through my Tzeentch Chaos Warriors and Orruks, and finish my Salamanders Space Marines ... :$

By dirt, are you meaning on the base? If so, I basecoated it leather brown (army painter) though gorthor brown from gw is pretty close. I use leather brown as I undercoat spray the whole mini in it. Then its a case of drybrusing on skragg brown, tallarn sand, ushabti and screaming skull.

Indeed it was the bases I was referring to.  I've been trying the recipes in this month's White Dwarf, but couldn't get them to come out right.  I'd been using Vallejo Game Colour Scorched Brown over Vallejo Rough Grey Pumice to emulate Stirland Mud (they should be a close match looking at them on my desk...), then washing with Seraphim Sepia and drybrushing with Sylvaneth Bark followed by Tyrant Skull, but it's coming out too dark.  Thanks for the recipe - I'll give it a whirl. :) 

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know and welcome back to the hobby!

Guys, thanks so much for your kind comments - they really do mean the world to me! Thanks for taking time out of your day to have a look and comment. It's kept me motivated when the paint blues kick in and the feedback over both threads has helped me improve (I think?)

So cheers all!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

dec3a88ab2b4dc2415c8cd407ca5a39a.jpg

Been a while - bloodbowl was a big distraction to my hobby time but now my team is pretty much painted, I am free to get back to death and destruction!

I was fortunate enough to be given lots of vouchers - I left my job to take care of my son and was given a v generous send off and also Christmas was kind!

So I grabbed some extra skelly warriors for a total of 30, some graveguard and a wight king. Looking forward to gettinv the rest made up and painted. As you can see I have built 10 skellies and the Wight.

A quick snap of my built box of graveguard! Decided to remove some of the gothic elements eg the massive batwings to make them feel a little bit less whacky.

Few bits of cleaning up to do but I like these minis alot. I even added a few round shields to some of their backs to tie them in to the other skellies. Here they are with their king.
a46ce546204e1ff257d0fe30fd5bf959.jpg

Your muted and realistic style works brilliantly on those skeletons - I love how they look so ordinary at first and then you realise they're a bunch of undead warriors marching coldly forward... I look forward to seeing what you do with those Grave Guard!

• 4 weeks later...

e101c4837ffc64f8a4cb6aa57c7784e8.jpg
Very wip shot of my graveguard! Decided to go with a weathered goldy/bronze as the main metal to tie them to the skellies and the overall theme.

I was recently really inspired by@CoffeeGrunt to use some ironbreaker shield throughout the army as they capture a celtic/ancients vibe really nicely... so if anyone has any in bits boxes that they aren't using, I'd love to buy them from you!

fc4f6ae7c242c63c2c0f03855df34711.jpg

Completed my first grave guard! (I say complete but just realised I didn't finish the wooden shaft of the weapon...) I used this guy to test the ethereal effect on the blade, what do you guys think? The other 9 are fairly near to completion and just need the oxide and gold armour finishing as well as blades.

Archived