Terrain, what do you like?

DarkBlack

Definitely makes large 30+ units less manageable, but even with an empty table, 1" formations are pretty bunched up anyway. Then again, as long as you are not just maneuvering around terrain, rather than getting in it, I haven't had problems.

20160917_192014.jpg

Dense terrain enhances the tactical richness. Can this unit move thru that terrain and be effective in combat against that unit on the other side? As I break up my force to use the most effective avenues of advance, can I support them?   Can I fight a dispersed battle, or must I concentrate my force? If I do, can my foe exploit terrain as I consolidate? In the dense terrain of many ACW battles, these decisions decided the outcome of many a battle.

On 3 november 2016 at 11:14 PM, wayniac said:

I'm actually curious how these boards with huge amounts of terrain work for AOS, seems like you would have everything bunched up in order to actually maneuver.

Played a lot of games with dense terrain and loved it. Makes it more tactical and makes it harder to do a turn 1 or 2 charge. 

On 11/3/2016 at 5:01 PM, Beothuk said:

I played a lot of historical before AoS. I've developed quite an aversion for the sparse 3-4 terrain bits rolled as per the rules, as I find scratch building terrain and creating the battles landscape part of the immersion.  I saturate my boards with forest, farmland, linear obstacle etc, and like to include a couple stand out bits to apply scenery rules from the warscrolls. I've built a jungle 4x6, farmland, deep forest, villages. Rough terrain, terrain blocking los, chokepoints, cover add an immense amount of depth to aos, and many units need to adapt quick tactically when it isn't as simple as advance and charge.  Here are a couple boards I've done and played AoS on: 

First, those boards look FANTASTIC! With those sized woods, do you find it's difficult to move or see your models clearly? It seems like you might accidentally lose some models in the woods from time to time with that kind of canopy coverage I have an idea in my head for a super heavily forested board as well and am curious.

On 10/26/2016 at 4:37 AM, bottle said:

In my opinion the best place to get inspired for AoS tables is to google "Warmachine Terrain" or scenery. You get awesome things like this:

imagine playing AoS on that!!

Too bad the reality is that most warmachine tables look like this:

adepticon2011-037.jpg

And now there's a push for WMH terrain that looks like this:

d88d5ff5d1573ef557104ecf22dcb115_origina

1 hour ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Reason #2 that I no longer play WarmaHordes...

I'm a big fan of WarmaHordes but terrain is the number 1 reason I don't play much anymore. The move in that game has been towards 2D printed terrain and that just doesn't do it for me. 

I love that AoS has tables that both look interesting and play interesting.

As I am not a player of Warmahordes (don't like the models) it doesn't bother me if tournament players like flat scenery nor does it take away from the good tables being an excellent source of inspiration for AoS. :)

Another epic table:

FH7O2AMGSYEQD5A.MEDIUM.jpg

As I am not a player of Warmahordes (don't like the models) it doesn't bother me if tournament players like flat scenery nor does it take away from the good tables being an excellent source of inspiration for AoS. [emoji4]

Another epic table:

I'd love to have terrain with features/objectives that had leds that could display a different colour on who had captured it.

As I am not a player of Warmahordes (don't like the models) it doesn't bother me if tournament players like flat scenery nor does it take away from the good tables being an excellent source of inspiration for AoS. [emoji4]

Another epic table:

I'd love to have terrain with features/objectives that had leds that could display a different colour on who had captured it.

Another epic table:

On 11/3/2016 at 6:01 PM, Beothuk said:

I played a lot of historical before AoS. I've developed quite an aversion for the sparse 3-4 terrain bits rolled as per the rules, as I find scratch building terrain and creating the battles landscape part of the immersion.  I saturate my boards with forest, farmland, linear obstacle etc, and like to include a couple stand out bits to apply scenery rules from the warscrolls. I've built a jungle 4x6, farmland, deep forest, villages. Rough terrain, terrain blocking los, chokepoints, cover add an immense amount of depth to aos, and many units need to adapt quick tactically when it isn't as simple as advance and charge.  Here are a couple boards I've done and played AoS on: 

image.jpg2_zpsg8znzwc5.jpg

20151219_122340_zpskupquukm.jpg

Do you build your own stuff? Do you have a website/youtube with tutorials?

Archived