Freepeoplez in the current world

Coganaut

So i am about halfway through finishing my dispossessed, and the freepeople and devoted of sigmar are really catching my eye now. The devoted to Sigmar seem to all fit ok in the new world. The ragged look to the Falgellants gives off that look of humanity holding on to what little they have left. All the free people stuff though... not so much. 

Was curious if you all had any suggrstions to make the free people fit more into the current world?

Demigryphs seem like they dont need to change much, and the grewtswords can get by with a tiny head swap and free guild general as well. (not sure where to get said head swap). I suppose I could wait for new models but wheres the fun in that? ?

The flagellants are also one of the few free people units featured in new artwork.  barbarian tribes of human mortals is definitely an aesthetic i'm looking forward to, especially after reading about the dark oath chieftain in the labyrinth of the lost novel, and seeing his model along with the excelsior warpriest!

Nobody really knows yet. The official answer is "the Realms are big." I suppose we're going to get more information eventually.

That said, in answer to your actual question...

5 hours ago, Coganaut said:

Was curious if you all had any suggrstions to make the free people fit more into the current world?

So, the thing is that like I wrote above, the Realms are big. The question is less "how do you get the Free Peoples to fit into the world" and more "how do you get the Free Peoples to fit together." If you find it compelling, you can totally decide that somewhere out there in the Realms is a prosperous and civilized remnant society that's protected by terrain, powerful magic, an unusually potent military, or whatever.

If what you want to do is an army that's all ragged and desperate looking, I'd actually take it further - use flagellant bodies for everything and kit-bash on weapons from other kits. If they're a ragged bunch, you don't need to even worry about giving them homogenous-looking weapons. You can use eBay to give them melee weapons from all sorts of different kits: Orruk weapons, Chaos weapons, discarded rocks or bones from the crypt ghoul kits...

I also think that this is the kind of theme army that would really benefit from you limiting your own unit choices. You know, you probably don't want to add handgunners or artillery, because that doesn't make much sense for a ragged band of desperate survivors!

I agree that the whole viking idea doesnt fit very well. It is cool juat not qyite what I think the people of the realms would look like. 

11 hours ago, hellalugosi said:

The flagellants are also one of the few free people units featured in new artwork.  barbarian tribes of human mortals is definitely an aesthetic i'm looking forward to, especially after reading about the dark oath chieftain in the labyrinth of the lost novel, and seeing his model along with the excelsior warpriest!

I have yet to read that novel... really need to make time to get it in though soundss like a good one. I love the look of the Dark Oath Chieftan as well, hope to see some more like him. The excelsior War priest is by far my favorite model from the silver tower set! Very fitting look for people from the Azyr Realm i suppose. 

10 hours ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Nobody really knows yet. The official answer is "the Realms are big." I suppose we're going to get more information eventually.

That said, in answer to your actual question...

So, the thing is that like I wrote above, the Realms are big. The question is less "how do you get the Free Peoples to fit into the world" and more "how do you get the Free Peoples to fit together." If you find it compelling, you can totally decide that somewhere out there in the Realms is a prosperous and civilized remnant society that's protected by terrain, powerful magic, an unusually potent military, or whatever.

If what you want to do is an army that's all ragged and desperate looking, I'd actually take it further - use flagellant bodies for everything and kit-bash on weapons from other kits. If they're a ragged bunch, you don't need to even worry about giving them homogenous-looking weapons. You can use eBay to give them melee weapons from all sorts of different kits: Orruk weapons, Chaos weapons, discarded rocks or bones from the crypt ghoul kits...

I also think that this is the kind of theme army that would really benefit from you limiting your own unit choices. You know, you probably don't want to add handgunners or artillery, because that doesn't make much sense for a ragged band of desperate survivors!

Man really good ideas, never though about using the flagellants bodies, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

The Empire and Bretonnia models are still wonderful "free people" so I don't think you need to look far if you want to get started now. 

This months White Dwarf has a lovely Armies on Parade entry from the Free People which includes a blend of Elven bodies to make a distinctly unique human army. 

I love my fuffy pants and moustache Empire from the Open World. 

I've considered using the Freeguild Archers as a basis for my troops with some arm swaps, as they've got a bit of a rustic look about them.

Having said that, I do think the state troops could be made to look less 'imperial' with a less garish colour scheme. Though I'm a fan of the puff n slash look, I agree they are a bit out of place in age of sigmar.

12 minutes ago, chord said:

Freeguild people are just part of the humans living in Azyr?  They are forming armies to help take back the realms.

Yeah, though I think theres a question of what they'll look like in the current status and how people can suit their armies to reflect this.

I wouldn't mind a bit more of an armoured or toned downlook, for example, similar to the current greatswords but with a more 'grizzled' look and less renaissance in style

7 hours ago, Russellbogentoff said:

I haven't managed to pick up a copy this month, don't suppose this is online anywhere?

I'm not sure. I didn't see it on the Armies on Parade website.

If you read up on the realm, you'll notice that humans have been scattered across multiple realms... though Azyr is the most common. 

If you're a fluff type person (like I am) you can make up a backstory such as Freeguild from the death realm because Nagash lured them with a magical item, but is looking to use them for his endless army... or maybe humans from the metal world who are descendants of Nuln. Whatever really!

11 minutes ago, Russellbogentoff said:

...That's it, this is going to be my army for 2017.

Sounds good mate. My army has always been Altdorf which is very much Azyrheim with it's mixed races. 

I guess you could even create a Wood Elf style humans who live in the forests of the Life Realm.

I have seen a seen a really cool Devotees of Sigmar army which was made with Chaos Maurders who had recently seen the light, and looking to atone for their sins. 

17 hours ago, chord said:

Freeguild people are just part of the humans living in Azyr?  They are forming armies to help take back the realms.

Then they'd be Sigmar fanboys, some might not like that. You could pretty much have enclaves of non chaosified humans anywhere. If they held of chaos so far that would mean they've got some power (which is always nice for your fluff) but where not important enough to warrant a full scale attack by Archaon himself.

5 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Then they'd be Sigmar fanboys, some might not like that. You could pretty much have enclaves of non chaosified humans anywhere. If they held of chaos so far that would mean they've got some power (which is always nice for your fluff) but where not important enough to warrant a full scale attack by Archaon himself.

All very good points

One way to tone down the renaissance feel of the old models is by mixed with militia model part or using militia models completely. I am not a big fan of the multicoloured renaissance colour schemes, but I find by just using a single colour makes it much more toned down.

In any case I guess you could make free peoples as anything from barbarians living in caves to smaller empires that have survived complete with castles, knights etc. The realms are big and free people could survive in smaller or larger pockets in many different places.

Archived