Winter Orruk army

RickyU

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. 

I've just recently started an Orruk army where I'm going for a winter theme or possibly high up in the mountains of Ghur. The insperation for the army is from the bonesplittas ice clan. Mostly it'll be represented with a blue and white colour scheme and snowy bases but I do plan to convert some units, such as troggoths and a gargant, to look more one with winter somehow. Also I'll be including some yetees too as they fit the theme perfect. 

I received a small ironjawz army from my mate which will be the start of the army but I mainly want to do a mounted force of boar boys, Gore gruntas and chariots. I've already got the old Gorbad model for my general and a big boss on a boar with a standard. My only concern is the army won't be that strong in game terms. 

To start with here's my first mini finished. The Ironjawz Weirdnob Shaman. I'll hopefully be updating this weekly with my army progress. IMAG0887.jpgIMAG0888.jpgIMAG0889.jpg

@RickyU - As I said on Twitter, this is absolutely fantastic. Such great work. Did you used fluorescent pigments for the smoke etc? I have used these on my Warchanter and it looks like a similar effect. The pinky/red accent on the bone is sublime. Its just great mate.

I'm a bit of a snow basing connoisseur, what's you recipe?  

Can't wait to see more.

Chris

I love the cape, is it GW paints?

Looks like a stormy grey-blue up to an ivory tinted highlight.  I'd maybe guess as dark as incubi darkness or stegadon scale green up through russ grey into ulthuan grey.

I am gonna have to experiment that way for my beastclaw project!

23 hours ago, Fastbear said:

Wow, how did you make the ice effects on his sword?

From a white undercoat I did a blue a basecoat of GWs Calgar blue then shaded it with quite watered down Night Blue from Vallejo. I then line highlighted the edges with pure white as well as adding some reflective lines (which still don't look right to me) and a few dots around the blade. After this I did a thin glaze all over with Gws Temple Guard blue then finished it with a couple of glazes of white focusing more near the edges where you want it lightest.

19 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Great job. This we one good looking army with your abilities.

Especially like the green smoke coming from the skull. Fluorescents?

No I didn't use any fluorescent paint. It was done all with GW paints from a yellow basecoat over a white undercoat, built up through thin layers of moot green then a couple of mixed layers of 50/50 moot green and calaban green focused on the top half, then pure calaban green for the top quarter then I washed the top with Dawnstone grey then stippled abaddon black on the very top. The top around the grey and black was then glazed with very thin calaban green which tints the grey nicely to give a slight under glow effect. There was a few glazes of moot green and Yriel yellow throughout the process to smooth the shades and highlights together. It could do with some white highlights and maybe spots near the bottom which i would do if it was a comp entry but I'm trying not to go too overboard as it's for an army.

19 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@RickyU - As I said on Twitter, this is absolutely fantastic. Such great work. Did you used fluorescent pigments for the smoke etc? I have used these on my Warchanter and it looks like a similar effect. The pinky/red accent on the bone is sublime. Its just great mate.

I'm a bit of a snow basing connoisseur, what's you recipe?  

Can't wait to see more.

Chris

Please see above about the smoke, if you haven't already :).

For the snow I used a mix of Woodland Scenics Soft Flake snow and Vallejo water effects then just applied it with an old brush. The water effects makes it dry rock hard but still look wet and soft so it's quite durable.

What recipes do you use?

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

I love the cape, is it GW paints?

Looks like a stormy grey-blue up to an ivory tinted highlight.  I'd maybe guess as dark as incubi darkness or stegadon scale green up through russ grey into ulthuan grey.

I am gonna have to experiment that way for my beastclaw project!

Yep all gw paints.

Your guess is pretty much bang on. The basecoat over white was a mix of stegadon scale green and a bit russ grey, shaded with a mix of stegadon green and The Fang with a small dot of black added. Highlights was russ grey up to Ulthuan grey then a couple of thin glazes of temple Guard blue to give it more of a bluish tint.

Will you be posting pics of your beastclaws on here? If you haven't already. 

1 hour ago, RickyU said:

From a white undercoat I did a blue a basecoat of GWs Calgar blue then shaded it with quite watered down Night Blue from Vallejo. I then line highlighted the edges with pure white as well as adding some reflective lines (which still don't look right to me) and a few dots around the blade. After this I did a thin glaze all over with Gws Temple Guard blue then finished it with a couple of glazes of white focusing more near the edges where you want it lightest.

No I didn't use any fluorescent paint. It was done all with GW paints from a yellow basecoat over a white undercoat, built up through thin layers of moot green then a couple of mixed layers of 50/50 moot green and calaban green focused on the top half, then pure calaban green for the top quarter then I washed the top with Dawnstone grey then stippled abaddon black on the very top. The top around the grey and black was then glazed with very thin calaban green which tints the grey nicely to give a slight under glow effect. There was a few glazes of moot green and Yriel yellow throughout the process to smooth the shades and highlights together. It could do with some white highlights and maybe spots near the bottom which i would do if it was a comp entry but I'm trying not to go too overboard as it's for an army.

Please see above about the smoke, if you haven't already :).

For the snow I used a mix of Woodland Scenics Soft Flake snow and Vallejo water effects then just applied it with an old brush. The water effects makes it dry rock hard but still look wet and soft so it's quite durable.

What recipes do you use?

Yep all gw paints.

Your guess is pretty much bang on. The basecoat over white was a mix of stegadon scale green and a bit russ grey, shaded with a mix of stegadon green and The Fang with a small dot of black added. Highlights was russ grey up to Ulthuan grey then a couple of thin glazes of temple Guard blue to give it more of a bluish tint.

Will you be posting pics of your beastclaws on here? If you haven't already. 

My eye for colour is getting better!

I probably will post yes but I have to source the funds for Icewind assault first :) and then figure out the first stage of my project (I want to sculpt masks for all, if it works).

• 1 year later...

I haven't added to this for ages but I have finished a few more models since. And rebased my Megaboss that I entered into Golden Demon. I do plan to add Gutbusters and some Spiderfang to this army when I get around to painting them. I can't decided weather to paint this army or my Skaven Masterclan/Verminus army. 

Anyway here's a few pics of what I've finished. 

IMAG0712.jpg

IMAG0717.jpg

IMAG0713.jpg

IMAG0715.jpg

51 minutes ago, Thenord said:

Wow! That's amazing work. Could you please tell me how you made the armor and the big skull in the megaboss, it looks awesome!

To be honest I can't fully remember. I think it was two years ago I painted it now. It was all GW paints. I believe for the armour I added Incubi Darkness to black then gradually added light grey to the mix. The armour did take at least 30 + hours to paint. I can't remember at all the colour recipe for the skull I'm afraid. 

1 hour ago, RickyU said:

To be honest I can't fully remember. I think it was two years ago I painted it now. It was all GW paints. I believe for the armour I added Incubi Darkness to black then gradually added light grey to the mix. The armour did take at least 30 + hours to paint. I can't remember at all the colour recipe for the skull I'm afraid. 

I could Imagine it took a long time to make that armor. It's really nice. Think I'll try adding some incubi darkness to the abadon black I use for my armor. 

Archived