Black Library Novels (spoilers)

Can anyone recommend a decent black library aos novel?

Im currently reading 'war storm' so admit I'm only just starting but it feels a bit "stormcast situation is hopeless, Sigmar lightning all is well" or even just "stormcast see a lot of tzeentch warriors who are matched like opposites of the same coin, kill them all"

are there any in which a. The stormcast do not basically just auto-win or b. there is a bit of character development beyond 'they really do want revenge'

or maybe one that just doesn't feature them at all? Do they get better? Appreciate I am coming across like some sort of twatty book critic here, so apologise if I've offended anyone that loves these books.

OH MY GOD TERROR PENGUIN I LOVE YOUR NEW AVATAR :x

On an entirely unrelated note 'Lord of Undeath' and the Audio book series following the Hallowed Knights trying their best to play nice with Nagash and Mannfred are easily the best Black Library material for AoS so far imo. They're both about Stormcast dealing with the tricky moral dilemma of having been ordered to cosy up to much more morally ambiguous (and imo far more interesting and well developed at this point in time) classic Undead characters, and picking up a fair bit of depth an nuance in the process.

Give them a try! :) 

Some of the Legends of The Age of Sigmar books are really good.

I enjoyed the Sylvaneth and the Fryeslayer ones. The Realmgate books are mostly focused on the Stormcast as the Story is about Sigmar taking back the Realmgates.

Mortarch of the Night is very good read, and has a lot of focus on Mannfred. Not read the Lord of Undeath yet. It's on the list.

If you're expecting: "Lord of the Rings", "Game of Thrones" or even "Harry Potter" levels of literary quality you picked the wrong franchise to read.

Black Library books are more in tune with Dungeons and Dragons books like "Legend of Drizzt"; they are designed to help sell more product and produced by a conveyor belt of writers that sometimes haven't read the previous books in a series. Yes, some writers are better than others therefore some books make a great read. "War Storm" was written by 3 different authors you're getting a good sampling of what the WarHammer books are like. They all focus on the action and even when they delve deeper they don't go deep enough. Keep reading the 3 stories in that book are quite different and each presents a different outcome.

(I've only read a few books and I've enjoyed them for what they are; basically episodes of: Heman, Thundercats or Beastmaster.)

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

On an entirely unrelated note 'Lord of Undeath' and the Audio book series following the Hallowed Knights trying their best to play nice with Nagash and Mannfred are easily the best Black Library material for AoS so far imo. They're both about Stormcast dealing with the tricky moral dilemma of having been ordered to cosy up to much more morally ambiguous (and imo far more interesting and well developed at this point in time) classic Undead characters, and picking up a fair bit of depth an nuance in the process.

I think you'll find my avatar is the one true Nagash

Lord of Undeath sounds a lot more like it, especially as it features my army of choice.

1 hour ago, Bowlzee said:

Some of the Legends of The Age of Sigmar books are really good.

I enjoyed the Sylvaneth and the Fryeslayer ones. The Realmgate books are mostly focused on the Stormcast as the Story is about Sigmar taking back the Realmgates.

Mortarch of the Night is very good read, and has a lot of focus on Mannfred. Not read the Lord of Undeath yet. It's on the list.

Yeah, maybe I should have read a bit more about what I was getting into. I should really have expected a sigmar heavy focus at this point, but they're also morally unambiguous and such bloody virtuous shells of characters. Will add Mortarch of the Night (more death - hoorah).

44 minutes ago, Wraith01 said:

If you're expecting: "Lord of the Rings", "Game of Thrones" or even "Harry Potter" levels of literary quality you picked the wrong franchise to read.

Black Library books are more in tune with Dungeons and Dragons books like "Legend of Drizzt"; they are designed to help sell more product and produced by a conveyor belt of writers that sometimes haven't read the previous books in a series. Yes, some writers are better than others therefore some books make a great read. "War Storm" was written by 3 different authors you're getting a good sampling of what the WarHammer books are like. They all focus on the action and even when they delve deeper they don't go deep enough. Keep reading the 3 stories in that book are quite different and each presents a different outcome.

(I've only read a few books and I've enjoyed them for what they are; basically episodes of: Heman, Thundercats or Beastmaster.)

Yeah I agree, just come of the back of some Brent Weeks which I didn't think was too highbrow but maybe it's raised my expectations a bit. At least Drizzt did have a bit of consideration to the choices he made, although I don't like that character for the same reasons - they're so predictably good (disclaimer have only read the original drizzt trilogy).

I really want to go and watch some Thundercats now

2 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Ignore my avatar listen to this person here. 

The realmgate war novels have followed from Age of Sigmars inception and other than the occasional race book (Fyre Slayers and Sylvaneth) All the current books are related to the Stormcast in some way or another perhaps with the exception of the call to archaon ones.

If your expecting a huge level of well estabilished detail then you need to come back to AOS somewhere down the road as GW simply havent had enough time to develop enough background for the books to be anywhere near as much detail as the old world contained. I truelly hope it does but only time will tell.

That being said there is definatley a dcent amount of progression in the current novels considering Gates of Azyr was about as vague as it can get (only the models you got in the starter box were present in the story hmmmm) and actually in that first book the Stormcasts didnt actually turn into a pillar of lightning when they died for some reason!

As the books have gone on however Stormcasts are slowly turning from these invincible "A hole unit of blood reavers couldnt even bring down one" and "and where able to hold off a bloodbound army 12 times there size" emotionless super faceless demi gods. To these increasingly more complex(in many cases disturbed individuals) with an imperfect system of immortality and a hell of a job to try and get done (And in quite a few books they do essentially fail their task)

There is definatly more of a hammer and anvil war of the gods vibe at the moment and people may be a little fed up of hearing about the stormcasts and how much the luuuvvv Sigmar but in my IMO GW is simply using them as a set of eyes from which to show players the new setting without spoling all the exciting secrets of the races by immediatly making there points of view so obvious.

And finally let us not forget that we still have an incomplete setting. We have next to no info on the realm of light & shadow as well as only hints to some of the (We assume) core races such as the realm of metal duardin and the possibility of the realms being repopulated my something akin to "Normal" people.

Once these are out of the way i am very hopeful that GW will allow more independent stories to be written so we have more focused stories like Gotrek and Felix and Mallus Darkblade which will enrich and slowly but surely start to etch out the details we really need.

Keep reading the books mate they are very worth while. My favorites where definatley: Warstorm, Q for Ghalmaraz, and Lord of Undeath.

Archived