Matched play objective size?

I am working on some pretty cool (I think... :)) markers on 25mm bases. Weapons, shields, banners and various panoplies of stuff both for Khorne and Stormcast Eternals, 4 markers for each faction. I will post the pictures as soon as they are ready. Being 25mm bases and therefore easy to be flipped, I glued 1 cent coins inside the base and they are very stable now.

I've got dice stuck to 32mm, sprayed black and dry rushed grey. I used them in a version of AoS before matched play when we had numbered objectives (each one has the dice showing a different number).

Now that the numbers aren't required though, I'm going to do some themed bases to go with my Autumn army, probably on 40mm.

To answer polarbear's question, at my last event it was ruled that objectives, no matter what they were represented by, were deemed to be flat on the ground I.e. Standing on a huge, 7" high piece of terrain right next to it did not count as claiming it. I don't think anyone would mind if your marker was physically flat though, and actually I would think that organisers would encourage scenic markers.

2 hours ago, WAAAGHdogg15 said:

I've got dice stuck to 32mm, sprayed black and dry rushed grey. I used them in a version of AoS before matched play when we had numbered objectives (each one has the dice showing a different number).

Now that the numbers aren't required though, I'm going to do some themed bases to go with my Autumn army, probably on 40mm.

To answer polarbear's question, at my last event it was ruled that objectives, no matter what they were represented by, were deemed to be flat on the ground I.e. Standing on a huge, 7" high piece of terrain right next to it did not count as claiming it. I don't think anyone would mind if your marker was physically flat though, and actually I would think that organisers would encourage scenic markers.

Thank you. So if you're in a combat around an objective, the preferable way is to pretend the objective doesn't take up physical space, and does not block models moving on top of it, etc?

21 hours ago, polarbear said:

Thank you. So if you're in a combat around an objective, the preferable way is to pretend the objective doesn't take up physical space, and does not block models moving on top of it, etc?

That's how my opponents and I have always played it. I'm not saying that is necessarily right though as there is no official guidance in the General's Handbook and different players/clubs/events might have their own house rules on it.

4 minutes ago, WAAAGHdogg15 said:

That's how my opponents and I have always played it. I'm not saying that is necessarily right though as there is no official guidance in the General's Handbook and different players/clubs/events might have their own house rules on it.

Yes I now play with flat objectives too. When I played with pillars as objectives they often mucked up deployment, movement and pile-ins, and some games we used my objectives and other games we used coins (flat objectives). So for consistency I now use my flat objectives all the time.

Also, I always measure from the edge of the objective as it is easier to measure (especially with a combat gauge). It does however mean you have to have a strictly defined limit to the size of the objective marker. So far 40mm or 32mm seem to work very well, and I prefer 40mm as it's possible to make a nice themed marker at that size.

These are my 40mm objective markers themed for my Ogor/Beastclaw army:

20161016_082331.jpg

If you play them as scenery then this is quite a significant nerf to Sylvaneth as then you cannot place woods under them. I always play them as flat. There are far too many obstacles for some of the larger models in the game as it is.

40mm for me currently and built up a bit (I intend to do some 32mm as well at some point).  I think it's more thematic to defend the corpse of a Knight or font of power than a patch of dirt.  The people I play with tend to measure from the edge of the base rather than the centre, but they're made so that you could do either.

objectives.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Great work on all the amazing objective counters in this thread guys.

Here are some rather badly taken photos of the 32mm based objectives I made for Throne of Skulls, cobbled together from two butchered limited edition models and a couple of rocks from my garden:

m47uzAr.jpg

Spoiler

fU32j0u.jpg

MC2JODz.jpg

CP4wAgW.jpg

lTHJHpr.jpg

1ODvB8m.jpg

The two shiny rocks are admittedly pretty lazy and only intended for use in Gifts from the Heavens, I'm planning on replacing them with a spooky haunted treasure chest and a mortally wounded dwarf duardin lord stuck full of arrows and bleeding out.

For my objectives I used two 32mm bases for each glued so it can be easy to pick up and glued on one side my 4 spare Lord celestant on Dracoth shields from the Dracothian Guard kit and it actually feels very nice. It even permits for models to stand on top of it which helps in the gamaplay ...

Archived