Let's talk Path to Glory

Hi all,

I'm looking at running a Path to Glory campaign at our local club starting fairly soon, I was wondering if anyone had experience running it as described in the generals handbook and whether you made any changes along the way.

I have a few concerns about balance between the various forces, some of the force tables seem extremely weak (sylvaneth, fyreslayers) while others look incredibly strong (stormcast), I mean who came up with the idea that a unit of 5 dryads or 5 vulkite berserkers was equivalent to 10 stormcast liberators? Did you tweak the force tables at all, if so what did you change?

Also, has anyone had a go at making force tables for factions that aren't covered in the generals handbook? I've got a few players that are interested in bonesplitterz and high/dark elves for example.

51 minutes ago, Spiney Norman said:

Hi all,

I'm looking at running a Path to Glory campaign at our local club starting fairly soon, I was wondering if anyone had experience running it as described in the generals handbook and whether you made any changes along the way.

I have a few concerns about balance between the various forces, some of the force tables seem extremely weak (sylvaneth, fyreslayers) while others look incredibly strong (stormcast), I mean who came up with the idea that a unit of 5 dryads or 5 vulkite berserkers was equivalent to 10 stormcast liberators? Did you tweak the force tables at all, if so what did you change?

Also, has anyone had a go at making force tables for factions that aren't covered in the generals handbook? I've got a few players that are interested in bonesplitterz and high/dark elves for example.

Hey Spiney,

I mentioned it here on my blog post how the tables are an unbalanced funk. How your best option (for Chaos) is to take a Lord of Chaos and 6 rolls on the monsters table. Looking back at it, I probably should give building balanced tables a shot, since I'd rather show positive support than be a negative nancy.

Taking increments of points does work, and is currently the best way to go. Though its a little disappointing for me in that, I think rolling randomly on the tables is a big part of the Path to Glory Campaign. You shouldn't be choosing followers, they should be asking to follow you based on your triumphs.

Cheerio!

I asked a similar question because I had similar ideas, but it seems PtG is basically unusable without a lot of work to make it balanced, not to mention adding charts for factions that don't have them already.

It's a really good idea though.

Maybe there is a way of keeping the random tables but still maintaining a balanced feel

for example a roll on the monster table could be worth 2 picks while a roll on the infantry table could be worth one, or the tables could be rejigged into a approx 100pt table and an approx 200pt table which would require two picks to roll on.

The starting heroes have me a little concerned as well, the 600pt Lord celestant on star drake seems to generate the same number of picks as the 140pt mighty lord of khorne...

it seems like I'm going to pretty much have to rewrite the tables that we're going to use so I might sound out the rest of the players and find out which factions they want to play and build new points-based tables accordingly.

I guess there's nothing stopping rolling and adding the rolled unit to your warband, but limiting the game size to a certain max pointage.  So you may well have a Grand High Poobar at 800 points, but he's far too proud to be fighting the riff raff in a 500 point game :)  Would help to ensure a couple of lucky rolls doesn't make one warband ridiculously out of balance with the rest?

That said, I do quite like the idea of something that's a mix of PtG, 40k Kill Team and Mordheim as a campaign system.

I've noticed since its release tjat the vast majority of people who see PtG don't try it before writing it off as "unusable" and start modifying it.

I've managed to play PtG straight out of the book with 3 other guys... it's beem freaking amazing as is.

I say go into it eyes open, with a like minded group of people, and play through it once without trying to "balance" it.  Either you'll find that you emjoy it as is, or you'll have experienced the system in action instead of just as theory and your group will decide what needs adjusting for them.

We literally only use one house rule (and it is less a house rule and more a good life rule to follow): Wheaton's Law.

images (1).jpg

I just jettisoned the tables and stared each warband with just individual heroes and such (about 9-11 per force), and this helped my painting strategy because I could focus first on models I could lavish attention on, but still get games going (also useful in getting the rules understood). After that I started adding units from the tables but had my painting approach to an army defined. It's also narrative fun, as if these small groups of powerful dudes began to get a hoard of followers behind them.

12 hours ago, Criti said:

I've noticed since its release tjat the vast majority of people who see PtG don't try it before writing it off as "unusable" and start modifying it.

I've managed to play PtG straight out of the book with 3 other guys... it's beem freaking amazing as is.

I say go into it eyes open, with a like minded group of people, and play through it once without trying to "balance" it.  Either you'll find that you emjoy it as is, or you'll have experienced the system in action instead of just as theory and your group will decide what needs adjusting for them.

I'm planning to run a 1-day, multi-round event using the PtG rules out of the GH in December. I think it will work because even winning doesn't guarantee overall victory. If everyone goes into it with the same attitude it could be great. I'll post the results and pics after the event.

Of course, I need to work on some tables for factions not listed in the GH!

We are using the war band tables. The only restrictions are the rules of 1 are added, base to base measuring, and a restriction on my FEC summoning. Seems to be ok so far with Sylvaneth, Daemons, Bloodboundx2, stormcastx3, ironjawzx2 and my FEC. Warband tables really seem to favour Stormcast but this doesn't seem to translate too badly in-game.

I think a lot of people have a different mindset from the designers when thinking about the PtG. The designers obviously weren't thinking about making each choice equal in points. PtG, as designed, is a tool to create cool stories. Unbalanced stories. Big warbands pouncing on smaller ones, heroic last stands or desperate assaults to capture an objective. It's not trying to emulate matched play. It's certainly not trying to be fair. If you go into it expecting to build small, balanced armies for small, balanced games, you'll be dissapointed. Instead, if you get into it trying to tell a story, you'll see just how it unfolds. Maybe you'll lose every battle, maybe you won't. That's not actually important. Play battleplans. Play them narratively. 1's aren't auto fails. Unlimited summoning. You can cast a spell as many times you like. Your warband is your story, and stories are boring if they're fair.

Do that, and you'll have a lot of fun. That's my angle, at least.

48 minutes ago, Darth Alec said:

I think a lot of people have a different mindset from the designers when thinking about the PtG. The designers obviously weren't thinking about making each choice equal in points. PtG, as designed, is a tool to create cool stories. Unbalanced stories. Big warbands pouncing on smaller ones, heroic last stands or desperate assaults to capture an objective. It's not trying to emulate matched play. It's certainly not trying to be fair. If you go into it expecting to build small, balanced armies for small, balanced games, you'll be dissapointed. Instead, if you get into it trying to tell a story, you'll see just how it unfolds. Maybe you'll lose every battle, maybe you won't. That's not actually important. Play battleplans. Play them narratively. 1's aren't auto fails. Unlimited summoning. You can cast a spell as many times you like. Your warband is your story, and stories are boring if they're fair.

Do that, and you'll have a lot of fun. That's my angle, at least.

This

Archived