Plaguetouched warband

Tasman

Question

Won't the -1 to hit modifier negate the mortal wounds handed out by grandfathers favor? It states that wound roll of 6 or higher cause a mortal wound back on the attacker... this indicates that modifiers apply so, 6, -1,=5. No mortal wound back then, right? Or would you get them anyway?

Good luck with it.

Here's my list (which qualifies for Everchosen Allegiance should that ever prove to be of value):

• 1 x Plaguetouched Warband (0)140
  • 1 x Archaon, the Everchosen (1)320
  • 1 x The Glottkin (1)480
  • 1 x Harbinger of Decay (1)140
  • 1 x Chaos Sorceror Lord (1) (Nurgle)140
  • 1 x Chaos Warriors (10) Double handed weapons180
  • 2 x Chaos Marauders (Shields)120
  • 1 x Chaos Marauders (Shields)60
  • 1 x Varanguard (3) 360

Total 2000

It's my understanding that in order to run a battalion, you simply need the # of units stated..... and then can fill in any remaining spots with whatever you want. These 'extra' units just won't benefit from the effects of the battalion. My varanguard aren't table ready, so the grand alliance is out of the question for the moment.

And don't you need a gaunt summoner to qualify as an ever chosen alliance? Just askin'.

On October 12, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Nico said:

Good luck with it.

Here's my list (which qualifies for Everchosen Allegiance should that ever prove to be of value):

• 1 x Plaguetouched Warband (0)140
  • 1 x Archaon, the Everchosen (1)320
  • 1 x The Glottkin (1)480
  • 1 x Harbinger of Decay (1)140
  • 1 x Chaos Sorceror Lord (1) (Nurgle)140
  • 1 x Chaos Warriors (10) Double handed weapons180
  • 2 x Chaos Marauders (Shields)120
  • 1 x Varanguard (3) 360

Total 2000

It should be noted that this war band technically won't work.  The Plaguetouched Warband Battalion requires "1 Mortal Nurgle Hero and 7 Mortal Nurgle units."  The relevant reason for why it doesn't work is in the attached FAQ question.

Their answer suggests that while a single unit may count as fulfilling multiple requirements in a battalion, the keyword requirements must be matched exactly.  Effectively this means that the Plaguetouched Warband can never have more than 1 Mortal Nurgle Hero in it (which the above force does) and it will only ever have 6 units in it total since a Mortal Nurgle Hero is always a Mortal Nurgle unit.

It is an often overlooked function of the battalion rules.

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 8.40.50 AM.png

That cannot be right as the Khorne one specifically contemplates there being multiple heroes within it ("If any HERO..." not "If the HERO..."). Also the Raised to Greatness wording can only make sense if there is a possibility of there being multiple heroes within it. This is the literal interpretation gone a little too far. The purpose is that Hero means at least one hero, but the other slots could be heroes as well.   

6 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

It should be noted that this war band technically won't work.  The Plaguetouched Warband Battalion requires "1 Mortal Nurgle Hero and 7 Mortal Nurgle units."  The relevant reason for why it doesn't work is in the attached FAQ question.

Their answer suggests that while a single unit may count as fulfilling multiple requirements in a battalion, the keyword requirements must be matched exactly.  Effectively this means that the Plaguetouched Warband can never have more than 1 Mortal Nurgle Hero in it (which the above force does) and it will only ever have 6 units in it total since a Mortal Nurgle Hero is always a Mortal Nurgle unit.

It is an often overlooked function of the battalion rules.

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 8.40.50 AM.png

Youve read that wrong. 

theyre saying you cannot have two anointed on pheonixes, in that battalion as youre only allowed one anointed. 

also, a unit is every model. in the rules page 1 under Warscrolls & units " it says " Models fight in units. A unit can have one or more models " 

so, a mortal nurgle unit can be a hero, a monster or a group of models. as long as it contains the mortal nurgle  unit.  its a very open term. but 1 Anointed is a very specific term

5 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Youve read that wrong. 

theyre saying you cannot have two anointed on pheonixes, in that battalion as youre only allowed one anointed. 

also, a unit is every model. in the rules page 1 under Warscrolls & units " it says " Models fight in units. A unit can have one or more models " 

so, a mortal nurgle unit can be a hero, a monster or a group of models. as long as it contains the mortal nurgle  unit.  its a very open term. but 1 Anointed is a very specific term

This has nothing to do with "very open" vs. "very specific terms."  This has only to do with keywords, which all battalions are designed around.

The Spyreheart Warhost battalion requires:

• An Anointed,
  • 2 units of Phoenix Guard,
  • 2-4 units chosen from the following: Flamespyre Phoenix or Frostheart Phoenix.

A mounted Phoenix has both the Anointed and the appropriate Phoenix keyword.  They are trying to bring a Mounted Phoenix to fulfill a Anointed and Phoenix slot, and another Mounted Phoenix to fulfill the other other Phoenix requirement.  This FAQ says this cannot be done because if you include 2 Mounted Phoenixes, then 2 Anointed keywords will be in the battalion, which violates the requirements, because "you must meet any keyword requirements exactly."

Returning to our battalion, it requires:

• MORTAL NURGLE HERO 
  • MORTAL NURGLE units 

Mortal, Nurgle, and Hero are all keywords and to quote their response, "you must meet any keyword requirements exactly."  This means that you may never have more than one Hero keyword in the Plaguetouched Warband battalion.  Likewise, something that fulfills the Mortal Nurgle Hero will always fulfill one of the Mortal Nurgle unit requirements as well (since it has all of those keywords).     

I indeed have not misread the FAQ.  

His logic is impeccable, it's just overly literal. He's treating A Mortal Nurgle Hero as being like 1 Anointed, i.e. as a cap on the number of that thing (anointeds/heroes) in the formation (notwithstanding that, as you say, a unit includes a hero; and a hero is a unit).

They should have written "1 or more Mortal Nurgle Heroes" to be ironclad and for consistency with the quite surprising answer on the Phoenixes, but it's clear from the purpose (and the Khorne example) that the formation can have multiple heroes.

4 minutes ago, Nico said:

His logic is impeccable, it's just overly literal. He's treating A Mortal Nurgle Hero as being like 1 Anointed, i.e. as a cap on the number of that thing (anointeds/heroes) in the formation (notwithstanding that, as you say, a unit includes a hero; and a hero is a unit).

They should have written "1 or more Mortal Nurgle Heroes" to be ironclad and for consistency with the quite surprising answer on the Phoenixes, but it's clear from the purpose (and the Khorne example) that the formation can have multiple heroes.

It is a surprising and disappointing answer from the FAQ for sure.  But it is how battalions work according to the official rules.

And, for clarities sake, here are two additional responses from the FAQ that reinforce that all battalion requirements are Keywords.  Units have their names in the keywords, which is why specific units can be called out in requirements, but ultimately battalion requirements are keywords.  This is why for example you can take Settra to fulfill the Tomb King requirement for the Tomb Legion battalion.  Requirements are keywords.

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 9.20.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 9.21.00 AM.png

I agree. I just don't think they thought of 1 hero as being a cap in the same way as when they had 1 anointed on the one hand and multiple Phoenixes on the other hand. They wanted it to be a floor not a ceiling.

The Khorne formation clearly envisages that they intended people to put multiple heroes in the formation, which strongly suggests that this isn't a cap. 

On one hand, I agree.  I don't think the author(s) of the other scrolls were thinking of it as a strict requirement.  The language in those other scrolls seems to support this flexible reading.  I prefer the more flexible reading because it is the much more fun list to play.  In fact, I have a nurgle list that is almost identical to yours.

On the other hand, since this is the simple/straight forward reading of the rules (with the FAQ clarification), I don't want to show up for an event and get told that I don't get to field my force as a battalion (based on this FAQ) because I technically don't meet the requirements, nor would I want anyone else to face that down.  I want to make sure people are aware so they don't show up to events with technically illegal lists, even if we think they are operating as we think they were intended to be written by the original authors.

Archived