Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chrisdanish

New member from Wiltshire

Hello,

I'm Chris I just moved to Trowbridge, Wiltshire. Now that the move is complete I have a little more time on my hands.

I enjoy painting and tried to get into 8th after a long time away from the hobby. I struggled with the large time commitment and finding games where I wasn't hammered by more experienced players. I use to mainly paint and listen to podcasts as a way to wind down. You can find my old painting blog over on the baddice forum.

I was gifted the started box by the Mrs, so just getting to work on those now. I'm hoping to play a lot more and have made contact with a few people on twitter and a local gaming group. If your local and fancy a game and a beer it would be great to hear from you.

I don't really know where to start with getting into the backstory, I have read the starter book but not sure what I should read next. If you have any recommendations I would love to hear them.

I'm going to paint my way through the starter box but am uncertain as to what I will end up playing. I have an 8th High elf army but don't fancy rebasing it. Hopefully after getting into the backstory a little more I might have a better idea of what I would like to paint & play.

Cheers

Danish

Hi,

I'm in Trowbridge too and just getting into AoS. A beer and a game sounds perfect too. Had a first little skirmish with my Nurgle starter set against a mate at Corehammerfest on the weekend and loved it.

Which gaming group did you check out? I've been over to W@R in Radstock and Pigmar in Bath, both nice clubs but don't think they do too much AoS.

I have a 4yr old so anything even closer to Trowbridge is good for me as family time constraints usually mean I don't get out for too long!

• Like 1

That's great! How did you get on in your game? What's Corehammerfest, is it local? I'm definitely up for meeting and playing with people closer to home.

I got in touch with a few people over at Pigmar, I use to play there years back. I didn't know there was a club in Radstock so will try and check it out sometime soon.

I haven't got anything painted yet, but I'm working on that quick. So not sure if you want to wait till then?

Afraid Corehammer isn't really local, most of the people involved live up north - check out Corehammer.com. My mate gave me the win after my Plague Drones pretty much ate, stung and nibbled their way through his Chariot, Sorcerer and most of his Chaos Warriors!

Radstock is a friendly club and not too far away from Trowbridge, they do sunday sessions too which may be an idea for somewhere to game when you are ready? Pigmar tends to run on a Tuesday and that's out for me at the moment although I do think they have use of the club on a Thursday, could be wrong though! I do work in Bath so that's easy for me to get to.

I'm happy to wait too, that's not a problem - I'm a VERY slow painter (basically learning from scratch again after a 20yr hobby break!) so there's always something for me to finish. 20 Chaos Marauders next in fact.

Oh and what starter set did you get? Love to see some of your painted stuff too.

Edited by Splitbristle

I'm a slow painter too, but will be just whacking the AOS starter boxset out quick to a basic standard. You can find some pics of my high elves over on twitter @chrisdanish.  Got any pics of what your working on?

I'm generally free on Sundays and Tuesday evenings so could manage both, when you got some more time on your hands. I don't mind playing unpainted if your eager for a game, or just start out with smaller games until we have painted a more.

Have you always lived in Trowbridge? I use to skate a lot when I lived in BoA and catch the odd sess with some Trowbridge skaters @ Stallards ramp.

I've got pics on instagram as I don't do Twitter sorry. Check out @splitbristle on there if you have an account. I'm a pretty bad painter though!

Sundays could work out OK. I play Touch Rugby on a Tuesday all winter so can't do that sorry. Got some space for small games in my back room too if that works for you? Smaller games would be great, let me know when you are good to go! Pick up the Generals Handbook if you haven't and see what suits you best. I'm working towards 1000pts of Nurgle which is about another 25 models I think.

I'm from S.Wales originally but lived in Bristol for years and still skate with my mates from there mostly. Don't bother with new skatepark at Stallards though - it's rubbish! Calne and Midsomer are much better so I usually go there (when I'm not sneaking off for a surf!). Are you from BoA then? I used to skate with AJ from there when I lived in Bristol.

Ha, I know AJ well. He is still ripping it up in Bradford when he isn't looking after his little one.

Excellent, Sundays work for me. Do you know how many points your rocking out now? 

Small world eh!

The Nurgle starter set I finished is 500pts spot on so that's something to get started with. Got a Lord of Plagues and Rotbringer Sorcerer to paint up too so could bump up to around 700, but for a first game maybe jus throw down what we've got?

Will try and clear a sunday with the Boss then, I know this weekend is out sorry.

Edited by Splitbristle

Hi Guys :)

Just to let you know, I've finally spoken to the club in Devizes (Devizes and District Wargames Group) about AoS games.  He seems pretty happy about new people coming along and playing AoS although he doesn't think anybody currently does - his thought was that if a few people start playing other people tend to join in after a while.

They run on a Sunday afternoon from 2pm until 6pm (think every couple of weeks they start at lunchtime).  Not sure if either of you fancied arranging something at some point?

• Like 1

That sounds like an idea @Runebrush! Just trying to work out what Sundays are good for me over the next few weeks. A couple of intro games would be great.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Splitbristle said:

That sounds like an idea @Runebrush! Just trying to work out what Sundays are good for me over the next few weeks. A couple of intro games would be great.

Reckon that could be sorted, 500 pt is easily achievable.  Fairly busy the next month or so - think the only weekend I'm free this month is the 30th but looking a little clearer in November (though not much!)

Yeah just checked with the powers that be and this month is also pretty crazy for me. Lets say November and it will give us a chance to paint some stuff up then.

That's fine by me.  Give me a prod when you've got some dates I'll see what I can do.  Happy with whatever points too, I've got around 1200 fully painted now and have enough assembled to bump up to 2000 - although that's a little excessive to try and learn the rules ;) 

• Like 1

Yeah November sounds great for me. It gives me a change to have a re-read over the rules and to get some paint on plastic.

Btw, love the Blog.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chrisdanish said:

Yeah November sounds great for me. It gives me a change to have a re-read over the rules and to get some paint on plastic.

Btw, love the Blog.

Cheers :)  I'll give the chap a heads up and find out what (if any) scenery needs to be brought along.  BTW don't be afraid to bring along your 8th ed army on square bases if that makes it easier!

That would be great. As temping as using the elves sounds I would rather get a new army started and I should be able to do that in the next 3+ weeks.

• Like 2

Welcome to the TGA community! Be sure to share you photos in the gallery

To find players and clubs in your area, check out the following post, here