Mounts always better than the riders.

Arkiham

Yeah, the mounts are strong. To me it makes sense... we aren't talking horses here. Every mount is some kind of epic magical beast. The dracoths are intelligent, super strong, and battle trained. Juggernauts are steel and molten blood.

I like how, in the battle report from the September White Dwarf a celestial dragon ate two whole juggernauts and their riders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also it bears keeping in mind heavy shock cavalry. How many casualties result from the knight's lance vs. casualties from being trampled by an equal number of 2500lb, heavily armored warhorses slamming into them at 20+mph. But yeah it does seem that mounts in AoS (and old fantasy) always out perform the riders. ?

It's a psychological thing. You alway remember when the horses do better than the riders. If the riders do well, you expect that and don't care what the horses do. If the riders fail, you remember that better (as it's unexpected), and the horses, if they do anything, get remembered.

Not magic, but it sure feels like it!

1 hour ago, GreenMarine said:

Yeah, the mounts are strong. To me it makes sense... we aren't talking horses here. Every mount is some kind of epic magical beast. The dracoths are intelligent, super strong, and battle trained. Juggernauts are steel and molten blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do miss me some horses. Hopefully we see some mythical, badass equine equivalents at some point.

When everything is riding a demi god pony, it starts to lose its ooh and aww effect.

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

I do miss me some horses. Hopefully we see some mythical, badass equine equivalents at some point.

When everything is riding a demi god pony, it starts to lose its ooh and aww effect.

Free guild Outriders still ride horses.. plus Dragon Princes and Hurricanum, Luminark etc pulled by horses. 

35 minutes ago, HobbyHammer said:

Free guild Outriders still ride horses.. plus Dragon Princes and Hurricanum, Luminark etc pulled by horses. 

I know but I was referring to new releases. I just hope not everything is riding a griffin or dragon or some reptile unicorn panther is all.

I like fantasy but grounded in reality if that makes sense.

Just my opinion. Some enjoy the high fantasy aspect.

There really are some mounts that are mathematically more powerful than their riders. No joke what so ever. Depends on the mount, but with horses all throwing 2 attacks these days it's not hard to have them end up with more net damage than whatever is riding them. 

I think it was a running joke in 8th that GW has embraced in AoS by giving them double attacks. Mounts rock!

If it wasn't for the mounts attacks my Demigryphs would be doing 2 wounds on the charge. (I know the average is higher but when you have a bonus for charging you have to expect to roll more 1's and 2's than normal because of physics)

1 hour ago, SuperHappyTime said:

It makes perfect sense to me.

On a cavalry charge I'm more likely to be trampled by the horse or crushed by its bulk than I am impaled by the rider's spear or beheaded by a sword strike.

Indeed, I had high hopes of cav having impact hits on the charge when AoS became a thing, alas no

Dracoth and Stardrake are mathmatically much davastating than the riders. They can do tons of MW and normal damage. Actually all the SE riders are relatively weaker compare with riders in other races at same points. One stardrake Templer rider is like pieces of strawberry against a Beastclaw Chieftain rider. It's a balance since their mounts are so powerful.

Archived