Zombie Models

TerrorPenguin

Love the idea of zombies, not sure about fielding a unit of 60 of them, but I do like the idea of a single unit shambling across the board ready to tarpit some nice big juicy target or try and wade through some infantry.

But I'm just not sold on the GW models for Zombies? They look a little cartoonish. Now, I realise this might be heresy, but the mantic ones look so much better and for a unit which needs a big horde - are much cheaper! 

Anyone else have similar feelings or buy a mantic horde and regret it? Let me know before I pull the trigger on these!

4035.1.1000.1000.FFFFFF.0.jpegvs 99120207001_ZombiesNEW02.jpg

4 minutes ago, Nico said:

You could probably use Ghoul models, which look way better and are fun to paint. You might fall foul of the WYSIWYG police though.

Ghouls do look pretty zombie ish - I might give them a trial run using the ghouls..

The other thing I hadn't thought of is that I live relatively closely to Warhammer World and assume if I wanted to play there turning up with  60 Mantic models wouldn't be allowed to play, hmmm.

Something you can try doing is mixing the mantic zombies, ghouls, and a box of gw's zombies. But I would call ahead of time and ask them just to be sure. Something i do is box two boxes. And mix in the zombie pieces with that unit. Gives you a really good variety.

Yeah GW stores will definitely have a fit about it. In my experience, however, nobody else cares one iota. Personally I use Zombicide zombies because they are one piece and come on 25mm round bases right out of the box. Saves a lot of time when you don't have to assemble 80 zombies.

I have just finished building a unit of 50 zombies, mixing Mantic Zombies, Mantic Ghouls and GW zombies. The proportions may be a bit off here and there, but overall, it gives the look of a proper horde: none wielding any weapons. When it's finished, I'll post some pictures

14 hours ago, Undead4Life said:

Yeah GW stores will definitely have a fit about it. In my experience, however, nobody else cares one iota. Personally I use Zombicide zombies because they are one piece and come on 25mm round bases right out of the box. Saves a lot of time when you don't have to assemble 80 zombies.

Our death player uses zombicide as well. That said i find mantics zombies and skeleton superior to gws

I only play at GW store because flgs's near me suck. Love the community at my local GW. That said it sucks because I can't use mantic zombies (or the kromlech mega armor nobz for my orks). I was thinking about sprinkling some in.. But I figure there are tons of people dumping zombie lots on eBay, /r/mini swap and dakkadakka where it's just easier to be patient and wait for the right lot to come around. I won't be buying 20x 6point models for $35 from the store though ahah

• 3 weeks later...

Try using the GW empire flagelents mixed in with the odd goul or skeleton bits ive only got round to painting my first 10 and thay look 100 times better than the normal zombies. I post pics when i get time

Shortly after posting my last comment I traded some models I had laying around for about a huge tub of bits that was comprised of gw zombies, empire and mordheim bitz. Every model has some zombie portion to it (either torso, head, legs or arms), while most are straight up zombies.  overall it looks like a village or employee militia just got run over by an undead herd and had a "second chance" at "life" now serving a necromancers wishes 

that's about $175 worth of zombies for a few khorne bloodcrushers I wasn't ever going to use. Brings my zombie total to about 160. Pretty stoked but need more ?

My zombie army is made of models from every faction. They what is left when you shear mind from body, and the mind doesn't know it should be dead.

Fluff:

Created when nagash got his hands on the animating force behind the stormcast eternals. Though nagash being truly death could not wield it and bestowed it on a living necromancer known as rapero to be the profit of his new flock of these fragments of beings.  They still live the lives they used to have. Thier bodies are reconstructions of thier last memory of who they were, and the other fragments they see what they want to see. All of the fragments see the necromancer raspero as a sort of prophet or great leader who they all follow unquestioningly. IN battle they lose thier former humanity and turn into vengeful shades focus only on killing, as they can't control thier emotions that build to such a furious pitch that it becomes them. 

End Fluff, star image dumb

Spoiler

20161031_092934.jpg20161031_092944.jpg20161031_093029.jpg

Did they all grey scale. I started painting most of them like 3 or 4 times. First i tried to do them like my spirit ghost saying they were ghost... but most of the models didn't lend themself well to that. Then i tried painting them all like the regular models.... meh v.v..... Then i tried to give them all matching outfits... with the glowy eyes... but it was getting to be more work than it was worth. So, i did this lazy paint scheme and they turned out really cool to me atleast. 

Either way if you do lots of different stuff/models it's good to have them match in some way.

Really pray for a zombie model update... I'm really sux at mod-ing model... would like to play zombies, simply I like zombies... but not the model... FEC n deadwalker are the only faction that I have not touch thus far...

GW zombies dug out in 2000 (or so). They have been rotting for 16 years already :D

If AoS gets succesful enough I'm pretty sure GW will come up with some new zombie sculpts in 2017. Especially that   running in blocks of 40+  zombies can generate a lot of dough for the publisher.

• 1 month later...

Funny enough all people ask GW about on facebook whenever there is a new release is new zombies. I would like new zombies myself the last we heard of them is that they will "send forward a request to nagash to see if he will conjure up new ones". 

It's telling when Duncan decides to paint the zombie cart zombie model which looks tons better for how to paint a zombie tutorial. 

Archived