Khorne

Keith Ball

• 2 weeks later...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!  Skarbrand will do work for you. You mentioned you have the other half of the start of the AoS set.  Bloodsecrator and Bloodstoker completely buff this force.  Cant wait to see it painted and modeled!

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Knight of Ruin said:

Going to hijack this thread for a moment. What models do people generally like to play with as Khorne? This includes Bloodbound, FW and Daemons. Any particular unit/hero combo's that make for fun gameplay? 

I'll let you know this weekend :D  First game of AoS with my bloodbound planned, starter set plus Skullgrinder and Slaughterpriest so hopefully not too over the top...

Well, I don't have THAT much models, as of now, but usually I play 

- blood warriors: they're great overall, good save, good dmg output - also attack right before removing them from the table.

- wrathmongers: now that I finally understood how to play them (Thanks TGA community ;) )

- Mighty Skullcrushers: a 3 models unit, to have a bit of speed and a bit more toughness.

- Mighty Lord of Khorne: his axe is unbeatable, with just 1 wound done you can potentially kill Archaon..

- Bloodsecrator: think this model is essential -> +1 attack to Khorne units, and they don't have to take battleshocks.

That's basically the core. Then depending on the comp system, the enemy army and the feeling of the moment, I can add blood reavers, chaos shrine, slaughterpriest or other character (against a swarm army I like to take Skarr Bloodwrath :)

I've  been moving towards more elite troops with my Khorne, I really don't like the squishyness of troops such as Bloodreavers. The core will be something along the lines of:

Blood Secrator x2

20 Blood Warriors

6 Skullcrushers

5 Skull Reapers

From there add characters, I've some daemon allies if I want, plenty of characters (enough for the gorechosen batallion) or I can branch out and add Chaos Duerdin for some shootiness (converted Irondrakes) my chaos Ogur Stonehorn for sheer staying power or Everchosen and add some Varanguard and/or Archaon.  

Managed to get three games in over the weekend with my Bloodbound and really impressed.  Played on a 4ft x 4ft board which for a 30 model limit was pretty spot on, that being composed of the AoS starter box with Skullgrinder.

The Bloodsecretor is excellent and getting him into the right location for his 18" bubble to work is critical to getting the most out of the army.  You do need be careful when going against Khorne opponents as his battleshock immunity effects both sides.  I can see how running two would be useful in a larger army and allow you to plant, move, plant, move ensuring your army gets a buffed from the earliest opportunity (though there is only one miniature currently).

Running the Skullgrinder and Blood Warriors together works really well - and I mean really well.  They ploughed through pretty much everything they hit and that was only a unit of 5.  Gorefists didn't really come into play so can't comment on the effectiveness of them.

Blood Reavers I'm still not keen on, but they come into their own when they start gaining attacks due to Totems, Bloodsecretor and Battalion rules but they really suffer with no save.  The only reason I'd have them long term would be for the battalion bonus.

Bloodstoker makes a big difference in the first two turns and two would give any ranged opponent a massive run for their money but they don't have as much punch as alternatives.  The miniature also looks like the Rancor herder and I'm not keen on it.

The Khorgorath is actually OK and quite good at tarpitting units.

Mighty Lord of Khorne is indeed mighty, with quite a bit of damage being kicked out.  His 5" Move can be a little debilitating though and a couple of times I had to use the Bloodstoker on him.

Speed was probably the biggest issue.  My first game was against Wanderers with 2 units of 10 Waywatchers and most of the army got obliterated before it got into combat, the Blood Reavers were easily wiped out to a man on turn one, proving just how weak they actually are.  That said, capture objectives do favour ranged armies and destroy favour close combat.  Beyond that observation, they pretty much held their own.

I agree that speed is a bit of a problem with Khorne, especially against some armies. If you want to stay "legit", or anyway stick to bloodbound, I suggest to include some Mighty Skullcrusher They will add a bit of that needed speed. But I'm sure you know as you have them in the expansion pack :P

If you want to go with some Slaves to Darkness, then I would go with the Altar to buff the reavers with a 6+ save, which is better than a kick in the butt and actually makes the difference :D 

Also Chaos Knights and Chaos Chariots are really good models to speed your army up - but it then depends on the comp. system you're using, and/or the number of models you want to play :) 

Currently we're using the "Clash of Empires" setup from Throne of Skulls.  Basically limited to 30 models (plus a maximum of 15 summoned) but with an underdog bonus being added in if the armies Martial Strength (total number of wounds) exceeds ten.  I'm sure as time goes on and we become quicker, we'll increase the number of models (we're limiting games to 4 turns or maximum of 2 hours).  For the next game we've also discussed a limit on of one Monstrous Creature per army (i.e. a unit that has a wound table) but only if we each field one.

Thematically I'm aiming for a for a Khorne army - so a core of Bloodbound but with various other units being added across the whole Chaos Grand Alliance range.  My own restriction being that the unit must have the Chaos tag and not Slaneesh, Nurgle or Tzeentch.  Don't mind adding in "generic" Chaos units - this is likely how I'll add in a summoner (I do have the old Metal Malagor upstairs).  My biggest challenge is keeping the Wound count low, what I'm fielding currently is 59 wounds and that's without a Monstrous Creature and most opponents are running between 50 and 60).

I'm eventually going to add the Gorequeen into my army which bridges the gap between the Mortal and Daemon elements so the Blood Reavers may get replaced with Bloodletters...

Some interesting feedback so far, personally I have played with Bloodbound and Chaos a fair bit so I can offer some feedback, I’ve mostly been using the SCGT pool costs:

Mighty Lord of Khorne

There are 3 reasons I tend to use this model:

1 - He is painted (and a great sculpt).

2 - He has a good (not great) command ability, it goes a long way to removing the likelihood of failing even the smallest charge and at the same time allows you to push for early, longer charges. The limitation here is it only effects Mortal and Khorne units.

3 - His flesh hound pet allows him to try and stop spells; with no limit. I tend to run him right up the battlefield to get the most out of this ability. To be honest this is a better tactic when he is not actually your general!

Overall he is not a particularly strong model in combat, too few attacks makes hitting, wounding, then actually damaging with his -1 rend axe very unlikely.

Exalted Deathbringer

I used one once with the axe and fist weapon, he did nothing. For a model that really needs to excel in combat the damage potential really should be higher. Command ability is also week when you consider Bloodsecrators.

Bloodsecrator

I never leave home without this guy in my list, the simple fact that his ability affects all Khorne units/models without restricting this to Mortal/Daemonic etc. really helps gel together other non-Bloodbound (but still Khorne marked) elements. Depending on the scenario I will usually run him for the first 1-2 turns before finding a nice place for him to camp. Also remember you can cast all your spells (if you have any) then place the banner at the end of the Hero Phase.

Bloodstoker

Again, this is another model I have never not run. His ability to provide +3 to run or charge rolls is excellent for the generally slow moving Bloodbound army. Then, you have the added bonus of re-rolling 1’s to wound (anything that buffs/help wounds is great as the ability is pretty rare). My personal favorite is to whip a unit of 10 Bloodwarriors right up the middle of the battlefield as they are a ‘tanky’ unit. It helps them get in place and cause as much of a roadblock as possible.

Bloodreavers

Great models, terrible in the game, I would never run these. No save, potentially ‘loads of attacks’ but it takes too much positioning etc. to get this and they are 32mm based models so you will struggle to get many in combat. I sold mine on ebay.

Bloodwarriors

As mentioned I treat these as my tanky unit, I tend to deploy them so they can advance towards my opponents half of the table, ideally with a nice piece of terrain they can sit on. These guys cry out for a Mystical Shield, 2 wound models with a good save are golden. If you manage to buff the armour save of these guys and pop them in cover they can be a nightmare to kill (your opponent will need to rely on Mortal Wounds). When engaged in combat their damage potential is ‘okay’, the lack of rend and wounding on 4+ is disappointing but giving the champ the axe adds some nice potential. If you do buff the armour save then the 6+ to bounce a mortal wound back can really start racking up damage.

Skullcrushers

They bring some much needed speed to the normally slow Bloodbound army, but that’s about it. Their damage potential is laughably poor and I quickly dropped them from my lists.

Khorgoraths

I really struggled with these (I run 3 regularly) initially as I felt they just didn’t achieve much. However, being 6 pool monsters with a decent armour save, high wounds and the ability to regain wounds they have become my go-to models for objective (particularly SCGT) games. Again, they are very tanky in combat, particularly with the ability to regain wounds, I always run these as solo pieces. Contesting/or claiming objectives. They are one of the few units I never worry about buffs/synergies; they just play the objective game.

Wrathmongers

Utterly love these guys, if I could – I’d run 3 units and the formation. I feel this is particularly strong. These guys do a fantastic job of neutering / killing any of your opponent’s hard/hitting units. However, be wary, as any ‘basic’ infantry unit will chew through them due to granting +1 attack to each model and not caring if they attack themselves. They take a little getting used to as they are movement 5 with a 5+ save so expect to lose these quickly to any concentrated shooting. I tend to treat them as a second wave, directly sat behind my own troops to buff them with the +1 attack without granting it to the enemy. You can also use them as area-denial or place them where people will need to commit their key heavy hitters (so you can get the most out of their ability). Expect them to either die quick, or pretty much help you win the game.

I have used other models/units but not enough yet to give feedback.

Do you use khorne daemons to supplement your bloodbound?

You say blood reavers are too weak, do you  use bloodletters instead?

Damage output of skullcrushers too low,  do you use a different 'fast' unit?

And in general, what do people think of adding Skarbrand? He doesn't have a command ability, so fits in perfect next to bloodbound, while keeping the Mighty Lord of Khorne, the Lord of Khorne on juggernaut or an aspiring deathbringer as your general.

Do you use khorne daemons to supplement your bloodbound?

Not yet, however I am a huge fan of Bloodletters, Skullcannons, and the Wrath of Khorne Thirster - all things I plan to add.

You say blood reavers are too weak, do you  use bloodletters instead?

Totally agree with this.

Damage output of skullcrushers too low,  do you use a different 'fast' unit?

I supplement my army mostly with Skaven atm, 20 Stormvermin, Arch Warlock, 3 Stormfiends with warpfire throwers and a Warp Lightining Cannon. This allows my army to march forward while the Skaven units dish out mortal wounds on important units. Also don't underestimate the speed you can get from the Bloodstokers ability and a swiftstride charge. Personally I will be adding Karnak + Flesh Hound buddies, and Bloodcrushers (who I feel are far superior to Skullcrushers)

And in general, what do people think of adding Skarbrand? He doesn't have a command ability, so fits in perfect next to bloodbound, while keeping the Mighty Lord of Khorne, the Lord of Khorne on juggernaut or an aspiring deathbringer as your general.

Funny you should say that - I used him for the second time last night. He has such a potential for huge damage that your opponent needs to react to him. He has thoroughly impressed me so far but he is the definition of a glass cannon, but, we get the benefit of him going even more mental if he survives a torrent of wounds. I always try and set him up for a Turn 2 charge, he also usually has a little bodyguard of Wrathmongers (anything that gives Carnage extra attacks is golden).

Archived