Fyreslayers WIP thread

yarrickson

After finally getting over a period of Netflix addiction (damn house of cards) I am back at the painting table with the Fyreslayers. 

Two Runesmiters done, nice easy models, and can't really see myself ever not using them as magmic tunnelling is one of the few tactical options afforded us in faction. So made sense to get them painted first.

Also , reinforcements, got my first Doomseeker off eBay, two more in the post. Not sure I'll ever use all 3 but they're only a few quid so figured may as well. Might do some conversion work on the next two. 

Had a few more games with the Fyreslayers, provided feedback to the SCGT team and to Ben Curry for his Fyreslayers review. Quickly finding my feet with them and enjoying the games. 

IMG_20160605_112256.jpg

IMG_20160605_112311.jpg

IMG_20160605_112330.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lazy Sunday meant good progress. Another 9 vulkites done, taking me to twenty. Also painted the Auric Runemaster, went with a blue hair combo in a nod to my old chaos dwarf army, this guy is becoming a firm favourite thanks to his volcano's call ability. 

IMG_20160605_222319.jpg

IMG_20160605_222342.jpg

IMG_20160605_222812_011.jpg

1 hour ago, Darth Alec said:

You've got some strong colours in this army. I really like it.

Thanks, quite a few of my recent armies have been very beige/muddy. So fancied doing something that brightens up the tabletop for a change. 

23 hours ago, Ansuz said:

Really love the blue bearded Runemaster!!! For a while I toyed with the idea of painting my Fyreslayers with white skin and blue beard/hair, maybe I should retake the idea...

You really should, he's my own favourite so far anyway. 

Just testing out some of the new GW paints, the Stormhost Silver is very strong but I'm struggling to see where I'd use Skullcrusher Brass, as it looks nearly identical to retributor armour to me? 

The technical way stone green is basically just a means of making the old glistening green as far as I can tell, but can see it coming in handy. 

Here's a close up of the effect you get from way stone green over leadbelcher. 

IMG_20160607_195610_577.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments, TGA people! 

Just a couple of minor updates. Started putting paint on my first unit of Hearthguard Berserkers, the broadaxes. Finding these even fiddlier than the vulkites, but still enjoyable. Not a very exciting update, but progress nonetheless. 

2nd update is just weapon swaps on some doomseekers. From left to right we have 1.Doomseeker. 2. Vulkite Karl replacement with pick and slingshield 3. Messenger/Totem/Banner marker/mission objective dwarf. 

IMG_20160610_224716_352.jpg

IMG_20160610_224401_098.jpg

In between watching other nations play football (one of the rare occasions it sucks to come from north of the wall) I have managed to finish the unit of Hearthguard Berserkers with Berserker Broadaxes. Pleased with the gold, really like the new Skullcrusher Brass paint as highlight. 

IMG_20160611_194908.jpg

IMG_20160611_194850_673.jpg

The rest of the weekends work. 10 Auric Hearthguard, Auric Runefather and a Battlesmith. Bit disappointed with this batch, the black spray undercoat really destroyed the ur-gold runes on these guys. Not sure if I sprayed badly, or in the wrong conditions or if it was a bad can, but I've worked round it. Just won't be showing these off as examples of ur-gold rune painting. 

2nd pic is obligatory army so far shot. 

IMG_20160613_105533_536.jpg

IMG_20160613_110253_302.jpg

Today's update. Maximum Grimwrath! 

Three of them, tried using the new technical waystone green to make a glass axe effect. Like it enough to leave it. 

Bored yet? 

Still got two Magmadroth characters, 10 more Hearthguard berserkers, runeson, three doomseekers and 10 more vulkites to go. Only 12 of those models needed for my preferred 100 points of scgt though. 

IMG_20160614_160512_378.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid holidays got in the way of painting. Still on track to have what I need finished for Northern Invasion in two weeks, and the rest finished for Alliance a few weeks after that. 

Today's update is the Runefather on Magmadroth. Took me ages to decide how to do the Magmadroth, in the end I'm happy with this jazzy scheme from the battletome. 

Got ten more Hearthguard Berserkers to do ASAP, then the Runeson on Magmadroth, finally because Alliance is GH I will need to paint up more vulkites to fill the points. I also have two more boxes of Hearthguard unbuilt, but want more GH games under my belt before deciding to build them as axes, flails or guns. 

Anyway, my General/Warlord Runefather Beleg on his Magmadroth Kindleheart. 

IMG_20160702_115824_398.jpg

IMG_20160702_115908_633.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Crikey! Just found this plog - some seriously impressive progress and as others have said both the darker skin tone and bases make the army stand out from other fyreslayer armies. Can't wait to see more and hear about their exploits!

7 hours ago, yarrickson said:

Busy week. But here's a quick army shot prior to the Fyreslayers first tourney experience. I already know I have to fight Archaon in game 1...

Good luck in your tourney, show them how the sons of Grimnir fight!!!

• 4 months later...

Been a wee while since I've updated this. (Hopefully not too long and this doesn't count as threadomancy) After a few months of playing with Khorne Daemons plus Sayl. I've returned to the Fyreslayers. Spent a few hours on another ten Vulkites this weekend, and am looking forward to the next ten Auric Hearthguard. Not looking forward as much to the Runeson on Magmadroth. Also got a 2nd Runemaster and Grimwraths 4 and 5...

Pic of vulkite progress. Plus reminder shot of finished so far. Might even paint those objective markers I made. 

Think my standard GH list looks like:

Runefather on Magmadroth

30 shield/pick vulkites

2 units of 10 hearthguard berserkers

2 units of 10 auric Hearthguard

3 grimwrath berserkers

Then either the Rune master or the Battlesmith. Tempted by the Runemaster just because of heavy Sylvaneth presence. Volcanic Wildwood is amusing. 

IMG_20161120_232153.jpg

IMG_20161120_232244.jpg

Thats a really cool army you got there, digging the paintscheme. 

One thing I dont like though, is the blue bushes or mainly the way youve put them, like one on each base, Id personally leave some bases bare too and stick a smaller bush to some of the bases so thered be two or even three small ones in a single base, just to give them some variety.

1 hour ago, Routasydän said:

Thats a really cool army you got there, digging the paintscheme. 

One thing I dont like though, is the blue bushes or mainly the way youve put them, like one on each base, Id personally leave some bases bare too and stick a smaller bush to some of the bases so thered be two or even three small ones in a single base, just to give them some variety.

Point taken. The basing was a bit of an experiment, I'm not sure I  like it that much myself. My intention later on would be to do just as you've suggested, maybe even add a coloured flock/static grass to the bases too, so that its not just yellow/blue on the bases. I'm sure the bases even then won't be to everyone/anyone's tastes but the whole idea with this project was to get out of my beige/biscuit couloured hobbyzone and in that I feel I've succeeded. Thanks for the feedback though, its why I post this stuff :)

Yea, sure @yarrickson , feedback is always great.

And dont get me wrong, I like the colours and the blue bushes. With the AoS thing, its just cool to see all kinds of abnormal basing styles and colours, just ment that you could scatter the blue stuff more around the bases on the existing minis :) would definately make it look more natural and interesting.

Archived