Website to display army rules at a glance

fartsocks

Inspired by a comment in another thread, combined with a little bit of being bored at work, I decided to knock up a little website that takes your army list from scrollbuilder and prints out a "cheat sheet" of the rules that you might forget to use, ordered by phase ( movement, shooting, combat etc).

The method of loading your army in is a bit awkward at the moment, so I've pre-populated the text field with a sample army, so you can just click go and see the result. It could do with a bit of tidying up and I've only added rules for a few units, but want to see if there's any interest in me carrying on with it. Any comments/suggestions also appreciated.

https://philrange.github.io/aos-rules-reminder/

I didn't have as much time as I'd hoped this weekend, but made a few changes, mainly to how it looks. I couldn't think of an easy way to pick up things like weapon loadouts, unit size etc, (at least based on how scrollbuilder stores those options) so I just load all the rules for each unit, and there's the option to exclude ones that don't apply before you print.

I need to make a change to make the rules for artifacts and command traits show up, but other than that, I just need all the rules typed up. Any volunteers would be appreciated, otherwise it'll be quite slow for me to do them all myself.

https://philrange.github.io/aos-rules-reminder/

You're still working on this right? I mean in the sense that if I take an army I've made and use the URL (from the N4 it looks like, subtracting scrollbuilder.com/?) it is normal that it returns an error?

In my example case ' Error loading file for Stormcast '

If I copy the full URL (or any other text) I get no result at all so I assume I have the gist of how you load it (I only guessed based on your sample text, I'm not sure if there were instructions elsewhere).

Yep, you worked it out correctly. It breaks because I have only created a rules  file for Duardin, and that only has rules for a few units in.

Here's the file I have so far, in case anyone wants to help out, hint hint philrange.github.com/aos-rules-reminder/data/duardin.json

11 hours ago, fartsocks said:

Yep, you worked it out correctly. It breaks because I have only created a rules  file for Duardin, and that only has rules for a few units in.

Here's the file I have so far, in case anyone wants to help out, hint hint philrange.github.com/aos-rules-reminder/data/duardin.json

I am happy to give the death stuff a go, may need you to check my markup though

49 minutes ago, TerrorPenguin said:

I am happy to give the death stuff a go, may need you to check my markup though

No problem. If you're familiar with github, you can submit it as a pull request on there. Otherwise, send me the file and I'll make sure it works before adding it.

For anyone who wants to help out but doesn't understand how to use json, I'm happy for you to put the details into an excel spreadsheet or something, and I'll convert to json. I can create a template for you to fill in if necessary.

Would this input be correct for (example) liberators?

{"Liberators":{"rules":[{"phase":"COMBAT","type":"BUFF","value":"+1","name":"Lay Low the Tyrants","text":"Add 1 to all hit roles for liberator models attacking models with wounds of 5 or more"},{"phase":"COMBAT","type":"REROLL","value":"1","name":"Sigmarite Shields","text":"Reroll any saves of 1 for units with sigmarite shields"},{"phase":"COMBAT","type":"OTHER","value":"1","name":"Liberator Prime","text":"3 attacks rather than 2"}]}}

Note: The liberator prime is a stat more than anything.

Note 2: The reroll saves is all saves (so independent of phase) - is there something I should choose when it's independent of phasing? Can I select 'select phase' as a kind of 'n/a'?

Note 3: I'm just realising that the whole point is to abbreviate rules for warscrolls and as such I'll be rewriting the longer entries. If I misunderstand something and rewrite it shorter based on this misunderstanding it'll warp the rule.

Now, I don't misunderstand anything with Stormcast (but then, I wouldn't know if I did unless it was clarified would I?) but I'm thinking if this is open source there's a risk that an abbreviated, subtly different rule might spread amongst those using this.

Do you proof the rule entries? Are you above misunderstandings with all rules? :)

Feels like using the full rule text is almost better in that sense.

Good points. I've just been pasting in the full rule to avoid confusion (and avoid having to think too much :) ), but I did include the rule name so you can more easily look it up in the warscroll, so shortening the rule might be ok.

I guess I'll need to add a section for rules that can happen in any phase. Yeah, leave it on "select phase" if it doesn't apply to a phase

I didn't bother putting in rules for stuff like musicians/standard bearers/champions as they're fairly common and generally do the same thing for most units, (eg. extra attack for champion/prime) but it might be worth adding them in.

Your json looks mostly fine. The value field (which could be better named) should have something like "to hit" in it. The text in "value" is what gets displayed in the coloured blocks alongside the icon. You can also omit the value field where it doesn't apply.

This is getting more complicated than I first thought...

I'd rewrite those rules as this, with my changes in bold. Forgot to mention that when the type is BUFF, then +1 shows up automatically, no need to type it in. I'm not sure if there are any rules that have a +2 buff, if so, this might need tweaking.

{"Liberators":{"rules":[{"phase":"COMBAT","type":"BUFF","value":"to hit","name":"Lay Low the Tyrants","text":"Add 1 to all hit roles for liberator models attacking models with wounds of 5 or more"},{"phase":"COMBAT","type":"REROLL","value":"save","name":"Sigmarite Shields","text":"Reroll any saves of 1 for units with sigmarite shields"},{"phase":"COMBAT","type":"BUFF","value":"attack","name":"Liberator Prime","text":"3 attacks rather than 2"}]}}

Archived