WiP Wednesdays

Ben

So I went back to my pink horrors and gave them a proper pink hue. I might have overdone it a bit. I kinda liked the more pale skin tones. Let's call this a learning process. I like the idea of variance overall, so this is still there in a way.

I guess I just post them here as it demonstrates how one can overdo it sometimes and should often just move to the next unit instead of working on the same models for too long, especially as a newbie and while experimenting with new styles or new models in general.

Next step: blend them more into violet tones in some areas and lighten up others back to skin tone.These take forever, hopefully I am faster with the other 10 metal horrors and the other 10 in plastic.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

Why did I stick him all together before painting - WHY?!

Base colour done on Vizrin Kyre of Hmmerhal. Taken ages and life to touch up.

IMG_0780.JPG

The fleet master is looking good ... 

What would you not attach if you had to do this again?

The jawbone looks ... challenging and the hair swoosh covering the chest armor... 

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2018 at 1:29 PM, Okonomiyakimarine said:

So I went back to my pink horrors and gave them a proper pink hue. I might have overdone it a bit. I kinda liked the more pale skin tones. Let's call this a learning process. I like the idea of variance overall, so this is still there in a way.

I guess I just post them here as it demonstrates how one can overdo it sometimes and should often just move to the next unit instead of working on the same models for too long, especially as a newbie and while experimenting with new styles or new models in general.

Next step: blend them more into violet tones in some areas and lighten up others back to skin tone.These take forever, hopefully I am faster with the other 10 metal horrors and the other 10 in plastic.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

I agree with you. They still are very good. But not as horrifying as one layer back. But like you said, make it a unit of 20 and they will add a welcome (but subtle) change in color of the unit. 

• Like 3

Almost done with my first stormfiends, damn there's a lot of work in these models:

29472777_10156343344502193_4345492015664857088_n.jpg.573d781e2ecbfd2f567ce86f7893fa07.jpg

Still got 2 work phases left: brightening the greens and adding a glow/light effect around them, and two layers of 'ardcoat on the water. I spent a long time trying to come up with a color scheme for these guys, mostly for the bigger armor plating on them, but then realized that they would probably pop out too much from the rest of the army if I started using some new color at this point. I also first thought of making the plating a kind of glowy warpstone green with malachite-y texture, but then these guys would have been way too green, and it would kind of eat up the green light effects. Might also make the ratling gun barrels glow green, but I will first have to see how much green there will be from the runes and such(once I get them painted in).

Also I just wrote "green" so many times, Ruby Rhod himself thinks I overdid it.

Edited by Kisufisu
  • Like 6

On 15/03/2018 at 10:03 PM, Praecautus said:

Why did I stick him all together before painting - WHY?!

Base colour done on Vizrin Kyre of Hmmerhal. Taken ages and life to touch up.

As a painter of Aelves, they always take bloody ages stuck together or otherwise!

I love this model, but glad I have the Lokhir model for a Fleetmaster - his pose is open! 

Love the skin colour - what is it?

12 minutes ago, syph0n said:

As a painter of Aelves, they always take bloody ages stuck together or otherwise!

I love this model, but glad I have the Lokhir model for a Fleetmaster - his pose is open! 

Love the skin colour - what is it?

Thanks, at this stage it was Rakarth flesh over black primer. It takes a couple of thin coats at least to get a good coverage. It then got shaded and highlighted, I can provide full recipe later on when back home

• Thanks 1

Started painting the Silver Tower grot scuttlings. Really dislike the sculpts, so to get them over with ASAP (and try out a new method so I can maybe learn something from it), I'm painting them with mostly just washes. Will need regular paints for details like weapons and other metals, and maybe some light highlighting? Not sure.

IMG_20180321_184458.jpg.c4e23b15dfe7e01665d1526e12e0f841.jpg

Not sold on the method yet, it's looking very messy so far. Nice trick to know, but I'm not sure these are the best models for it.

• Like 1

These drakespawn are taking ages. Started painting these, ooh, when these models were first released! 

Think I've done as much as I can. Might have a bit of a touch up on the grey. I do now have a scheme I can use on the next 10!

IMG_20180321_230543559.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kisufisu said:

Almost done with my first stormfiends, damn there's a lot of work in these models:

Still got 2 work phases left: brightening the greens and adding a glow/light effect around them, and two layers of 'ardcoat on the water. I spent a long time trying to come up with a color scheme for these guys, mostly for the bigger armor plating on them, but then realized that they would probably pop out too much from the rest of the army if I started using some new color at this point. I also first thought of making the plating a kind of glowy warpstone green with malachite-y texture, but then these guys would have been way too green, and it would kind of eat up the green light effects. Might also make the ratling gun barrels glow green, but I will first have to see how much green there will be from the runes and such(once I get them painted in).

Also I just wrote "green" so many times, Ruby Rhod himself thinks I overdid it.

Your rats have fire, they have energy, they pop, pop, pop!

• 2 weeks later...