WiP Wednesdays

Ben

Currently working on painting up the Shadespire Orruk warband to be different weapon options for heroes in my Orruk skirmish force.  I kept Ironjaw  and Bonekutta stock, but swapped weapons on Basha and Hakka I could field Hakka as a Black Orc boss with choppa and mace, and Basha as a boss with just a single choppa.  Played around with lots of shield options, but they all looked awkward, until I remembered that Ogre Bull hands are very close to the same size, and with a little shaving on the wrist to fit, I think it works perfectly.

934062-.jpg

Edited by Aegisgrimm
  • Like 1

WiP - Mannfred von Carstein to lead my Legion of Night army. 

I don’t feel safe with the origional base, so he’ll wrap around this tree and the spirit is coming through the tree.

I’ve found a few raven models that i’ll put in the trees and might even use some Flagellant bits to increase the feeling of spooky and doom 

Might need to put the tail in some hot water and bend it a little 

54B58A77-C68F-49CE-A991-BA7839D6C6F4.jpeg.04e19e97ea9a37203bc376656def6c8e.jpeg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, AGPO said:

I've been trying out some different schemes on my flamers. All still need eyes and teeth doing.

EUirBih.jpg

Best colour palette (all three!) for flamers that I've seen! The flame and the flesh usually don't stand out from another enough but here they clearly do. And I'm not even a good enough painter to know why... xD

• Thanks 1

Whoop whoop! First ever magnetising job. Love the cauldron of blood kit  so many set ups! 

Only thing i’m Struggling with is magnetising the blood hag and slaughter lady. The blood hag has a skull under one foot that might be workable but how to magnetise stilettos??

any tips? I thought about giving her something to stand on but don’t know what would look okay on the cauldron and at ground level?

D7C613BF-F6DE-4193-8B49-9060205F7FDD.jpeg.0e7bb22c81607a062f465a9b16d370cc.jpeg

another week with little free time, but the other day i finally sat down and tried to first time wet-blend the base color on the Changeling. And since I had all the colors out I decided to put some on the Gaunt Summoner's fishy familiar. Looking at the photo I realized that it is clearly a WIP and I have to do some clean-up work next time :/

Sorry for the so-so light, it is clearly a mix of daylight and the artificial yellow mess I have hear, plus adjusted brightness on the phone camera ...

image2-2.jpeg

image4-2.jpeg

image3-2.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Edited by Okonomiyakimarine
scaled down images
  • Like 7

Unsure how to do this, but I'd love to see more feedback in here. It is super motivating to see people react to a post and I enjoy the positive vibe here, but I just have to point my fingers on a few things that came to my mind looking through today's images. Hope this is alright and does not come across as rude or anything.

@Artobans Ghost: I love to brute dark metal and personally really like the tone in tone of all the metal parts as a concept (like in general, my Word bearers look like grey-black statues). I am unsure about the wood though, it pops – a lot. 

@spazz: Good pose and great direction. What is going on with the skull? It looks like it is made of pearl or some liquid metal? If i'd do the model I would consider earthy tones for all things organic including the skull in a – hu – bone color, but this direction is unexpected and I think it is interesting and might end up crazy good! Just curious, where this is coming from and if it stays :) Really dig the weathering on the armour though!

Edited by Okonomiyakimarine
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Okonomiyakimarine said:

@Artobans Ghost: I love to brute dark metal and personally really like the tone in tone of all the metal parts as a concept (like in general, my Word bearers look like grey-black statues). I am unsure about the wood though, it pops – a lot.

No worries Oko. Love the suggestions. I will wash the wood down with nuln oil then Agrax earthshade and see what happens. There is quite a contrast

Edited by Artobans Ghost

2 hours ago, Okonomiyakimarine said:

Unsure how to do this, but I'd love to see more feedback in here. It is super motivating to see people react to a post and I enjoy the positive vibe here, but I just have to point my fingers on a few things that came to my mind looking through today's images. Hope this is alright and does not come across as rude or anything

@spazz: Good pose and great direction. What is going on with the skull? It looks like it is made of pearl or some liquid metal? If i'd do the model I would consider earthy tones for all things organic including the skull in a – hu – bone color, but this direction is unexpected and I think it is interesting and might end up crazy good! Just curious, where this is coming from and if it stays :) Really dig the weathering on the armour though!

Hey Okonomiyakimarine (dig the name man!) I'm not sure if you're familiar with Heavy Metal magazine or the movie spin off's, but one of my favourite artists is Richard Corben & his use of colour, kinda inspired by him with the skull. 

Last week I posted my barely started Darkoath Chieftain, now he's nearly done. Need to do some tidying up to do here and there (the harsh glare of the camera reveals new mistakes every time!), add blood spatter on the sword and dripping from the Tzaangor's head, and finishing the base.

5aa00ebe1f3d5_collage1.png.1162e4da847300cd66c4c98cc403c82e.png

I would very much like feedback on the base, since I can see two possible directions for it, and I'm very unsure which one to pick. Whichever I choose will likely be used for an entire Slaanesh mortal army later on (my next project after the Brayherd). Right now it's got Armageddon Dust and nothing else on it.

Option A: Agrax Earthshade, drybrush with Karak Stone, done. Maybe add some dry desert looking tufts. This would let the base offer a warm tonal contrast with the very cold feel of the mini, but feels kind of boring and simplistic, especially after I've gone all in with autumn forest bases for my beastmen.

Option B: Paint the texture given by Armageddon Dust with Eshin Grey, do a heavy wash of Nuln Oil and/or Drakenhof Nightshade, then drybrush with Dawnstone. Add some red tufts, and then cover most of the base with Valhallan Blizzard. In this case, the contrast would be dark/light rather than cold/warm.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

When you want to get your army done quickly but you've just re-read The Lost and the Damned and realize all your Tzaangors *have* to be different colours...

Ou94V31.jpg

Apologies for the truly shoddy photo, I'll take a better one in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Swooper said:

Last week I posted my barely started Darkoath Chieftain, now he's nearly done. Need to do some tidying up to do here and there (the harsh glare of the camera reveals new mistakes every time!), add blood spatter on the sword and dripping from the Tzaangor's head, and finishing the base.

5aa00ebe1f3d5_collage1.png.1162e4da847300cd66c4c98cc403c82e.png

I would very much like feedback on the base, since I can see two possible directions for it, and I'm very unsure which one to pick. Whichever I choose will likely be used for an entire Slaanesh mortal army later on (my next project after the Brayherd). Right now it's got Armageddon Dust and nothing else on it.

Option A: Agrax Earthshade, drybrush with Karak Stone, done. Maybe add some dry desert looking tufts. This would let the base offer a warm tonal contrast with the very cold feel of the mini, but feels kind of boring and simplistic, especially after I've gone all in with autumn forest bases for my beastmen.

Option B: Paint the texture given by Armageddon Dust with Eshin Grey, do a heavy wash of Nuln Oil and/or Drakenhof Nightshade, then drybrush with Dawnstone. Add some red tufts, and then cover most of the base with Valhallan Blizzard. In this case, the contrast would be dark/light rather than cold/warm.

Thoughts?

I would go for option A for several reasons. The main reason is that there already is a lot of contrast on the mini not by light modulation but by material color. An even stronger contrast to the base would not help to balance that, but yeah, that is an opinion. One reason is that the use of many washes often hurt the base's structure when is had a very fine granularity.  Another reason is that there already are  warm natural tones (bone) on the mini and a simple base in similar tones would bind mini and base together. Regarding the base's flank: I would not go for the darkest tone on the mini (black), but rather towards something in between, probably with a violet hue even. Another thing is that the combination of different technical / texture colors like earth, mud and cracks will make a base appear more natural and create almost random structure, something the bases is missing as is.

• Thanks 1

technically it isn wednesday anymore, but I wanted to share some work in progress and I did upload the pics on wednesday:P

I decided to go back to my Cult of Slaanesh elves. The army was based around the main charachter Thalion, who tried to reach daemonhood in order to survive the end times. But I felt his story was completed. So Iḿ in the process of creating another character, opening up the possibilities for new units, conversions and a new story.

I've been working on two new units of six (all units conist of six warriors, or a multitude of six. six being the sacred number of Slaanesh). They are based on the dreadspear kit from the darkelf range. One unit is a pretty regular unit with spears and shields, bu toning down the dark elf look a bit by adding more cloth and remove some spikes (for instance on the pauldrons). I think they will fit in nicely with my current army nicely.

medium.F135EE91-D150-416B-814E-0E6A6CE81

The other units is smewhat inspired by the immortals from 300. I just love the masks from the sisters of slaughters and I want to incorporate them in several new units. I'm planning on getting some of the DoK Melusai in the future, which will match nicely with these guys I think.

medium.39AE3762-26F3-4FEF-8EDC-CB825056C

I also converted a winged vampire. this is a shot of his wing during painting.

large.EC008183-5395-4163-8588-13F5D53754

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Swooper said:

That wing is so good. What's your process to get that blood vessel effect, if I may ask?

@Swooper thanks. I basecoated the wing with Kislev Flesh with some kantor blue mixed in. then I layered with some thinned down kislev flesh and after that paitned on the veins with kantor blue. Then I added more layers of kislev flesh in smaller and larger patches between the veins. this way it looks like bigger and small veins appear. slowly I mixed in white with the kislev flesh to highlight. I think there was also a very tiny amount of red in the mix at some point. 

I've finished this model, I´ll be posting pics soon. the finish the wings I also added some stippling of red and kislev flesh and a wash of red.

• Like 2

The Arch Warlock just got the first ink layer, it is slowly progressing :D Next up is teal/orange inks for rust, then highlights, then the greens and light effects, then the basing, and finally some cotton wool smoke effects. So, still a ton of work ahead.

rotta1.jpg.b23d8430fc428616640136526242c3af.jpgrotta2.jpg.f6a8f6f5274fa61669cd67b5b504cc83.jpg

I did manage to paint 10 giant rats and have also been converting random models in between this and that last pic, so I haven't just fully procrastinated :D

• Like 3