Best Three Unit Combo

Andy2D6

I like my Daemonsmith, balewind vortex and Magma cannon to add a cheeky 12" extra to its shooting range.

vortex goes off and pushes the cannon out of 3"

Magma cannon moves up another 3" 

Daemonsmith moves up close and adds 6" 

from a range of 18" it can now shoot 30"

I like this combo: Get sisters of the thorn to cast their spell on Phoenix w/ annointed on top, get something else to cast mystic shield on Phoenix, and you have a Phoenix adding three to its save(assuming you roll 2s or more for attuned to magic after each spell), rerolling saves, doing mortal wounds on saves of 6+(after 3+modifier), and then getting ward save of 4+. Pretty tank and can do a lot of mortal wounds

Epidemius, Plagueclaw, Plague Furnace - hits on a 2+ (and re-rolls 1's to hit) , wounds on a 3+ (and re-rolls wounds)

I would be using it as part of a Foulrain formation though where it wounds on a 2+ with a re-roll.

basically it can't miss, unless you roll two 1's in a row, and does 2d6 damage against units of over 10.

Just don't try it against Nurgle!

1 hour ago, Veterannoob said:

@Double Misfire 1. Your epic avatar making use of the greatest fighting force any galaxy or realm has ever seen is appreciated.

2. What's "Sayl"? Short for something? thanks.

Sayl is short for Sayl the Faithless, a Forge World Chaos sorcerer special character who has a spell that gives a friendly unit an 18" move and fly and is continued proof that Forge World should really stick to making awesome miniatures and let the design studio write (or at least approve) their rules.

99590201015_SayltheFaithlessandNightmaw0

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-EU/Sayl-the-Faithless-and-Nightmaw

:)

How can you possibly complain about Sayl - stop playing gunlines and expecting to win without the enemy ever getting to you. He's vital for a melee Chaos army to have a chance. Otherwise, it just becomes Gunline vs Gunline or Gunline vs super-tough Nurgle list or huge body count Khorne list that wins if it gets the first double turn and loses otherwise. There should be more incentives to not play gunlines like real debuff spells with a 36 inch range and anti-shooting bubble or reflector abilities. Typically the Fulminator, the best hard counter to shooting, is in the gunline Grand Alliance.

22 minutes ago, Nico said:

How can you possibly complain about Sayl - stop playing gunlines and expecting to win without the enemy ever getting to you. He's vital for a melee Chaos army to have a chance. Otherwise, it just becomes Gunline vs Gunline or Gunline vs super-tough Nurgle list or huge body count Khorne list that wins if it gets the first double turn and loses otherwise. There should be more incentives to not play gunlines like real debuff spells with a 36 inch range and anti-shooting bubble or reflector abilities. Typically the Fulminator, the best hard counter to shooting, is in the gunline Grand Alliance.

I'm a dwarf and telling me to stop playing gunlines is borderline racist. ;);) 

Sayl's spell should work exactly as it does now but only affect units with either the Mortal or Slaves to Darkness keywords and not be open to everything in the Chaos grand alliance imo.

There are loads of rules for Forge World units that are just plain weirdly written and inconstant with the high standard/mechanics established by the design studio written warscrolls, but I'm more than happy to play against them, seeing them as a fun challenge and not wanting to get in the way of my opponents' mutual enjoyment. With respect to @James McPherson and the other people I'm probably in danger of derailing this thread for and my general indifference to the aforementioned units I'm not going to derail/ruin things further by listing the offending FW warscrolls here.

In the interest of getting the thread back on track, my favourite three unit combo I actually use is Joseph Bugman, a unit of Quarrellers (Bugman's Rangers) and a unit of Dwarf Miners who's unit champion is my army general carrying the Reckless trait as a turn two sabotage force (occasionally) managing to charge in and wreck enemy units left behind babysitting objectives. I'm looking forward to adding Grombrindal to the lineup when he gets matched play points.

Don't know how cheesy this is but my current fave is Treelord Ancient with Oaken Armour (giving him 2+ save), Alarielle (with throne of vines) and a unit of Kurnoth Hunters with swords or scythes. Treelord Mystic shields Alarielle and pops his command ability (all Sylvaneth reroll 1 to save within 10" of him. Now he and Alarielle are on a 2+ save rerolling 1s. Meanwhile Alarielle casts throne of vines followed by metamorphosis to put 2D6+D3 mortal wounds on a 4+ on something. The hunters can then go and kick butt vs the metamorphosis target, and since they always count as being in range for command abilities, they have a 4+ save rerolling 1s. :D

• 1 month later...
Don't know how cheesy this is but my current fave is Treelord Ancient with Oaken Armour (giving him 2+ save), Alarielle (with throne of vines) and a unit of Kurnoth Hunters with swords or scythes. Treelord Mystic shields Alarielle and pops his command ability (all Sylvaneth reroll 1 to save within 10" of him. Now he and Alarielle are on a 2+ save rerolling 1s. Meanwhile Alarielle casts throne of vines followed by metamorphosis to put 2D6+D3 mortal wounds on a 4+ on something. The hunters can then go and kick butt vs the metamorphosis target, and since they always count as being in range for command abilities, they have a 4+ save rerolling 1s. [emoji3]

The answer is very cheesy. If someone used this against me I probably wouldn't bother playing them ever again.

My favorite (not over the top or 1,000+ points) setup is 3 dragon ogres w/ 2" weapons, 20-30 marauders (soon to be tzaangors), and Villitch (curseling).

The dragon ogres fight from behind the marauders.  Villitch puts mystic shield on the marauders and summon lightning on the drogres for heal and reroll wounds.

It's a great mix of tanky and hitty.

2 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Thing is I play ironjawz/mixed destruction, how in 1000 points can I counter that? I've already been tabled by Sylvaneth once already.

Well, all of Alarielle's combat ability is waste since she can't move with that, which without balewind means she won't be casting that turn 1 at 16".  This means you have all the power in positioning.  Either she waits for you to move in range or moves, but then you move out.  She moves a great deal, but your more powerful units should be able to get out.

The maw krusha alone makes a joke of the hunters and does well against the treelord.  Goddrak would fling him off the table.  Just bring mortal wounds (lots available) or pull from Bonesplitterz for monster killing.  

The rest is just the mind game and some luck.

It's not exactly cheese, but I'm running lots of rat ogors with packmasters and plague priests.

With Unpredictable Destruction and a whipping from the packmasters, the ogors hit on 2s. With the plague priest's Wither and a reading from their tomes, the ogors also wound on 2s, and get to reroll all fails. That'****** on 2s, wound on 2s with a reroll, rend -1 AND generate additional attacks on a 5, rather than 6, due to the priests wither.

Running the ogors in units of 6, the best result I've had so far is 40 wounds on the charge! That'll put a dent in most things. 

I know Sayl could make a lot of top three's. But my fave is Sayl, Skarbrand, Wrath of Khorne. Sayl's spell plus WOK command ability just fires Skarbrand right across the board, if I'm allowed a fourth scroll there's a bloodstoker there just so the big fella can make it to the back of the opponent's board edge. 

Archived