Where to look next?

Kirith

Just picked up the Storm of Sigmar box and read the rules about a week ago. I have some ideas about what armies I like the look of but am wondering what's the next 'thing' I should pickup to explain more about army building? I'm guessing it might be the Generals Handbook, but am a bit overwhelmed with information. I like the competitive play aspect of miniatures game so that would be where I'm headed in the longer term.

I understand what a warscoll is, but battalions/battleline etc I have no clue. In terms of previous experience I was a WFB player until 7th edition if that helps with comparison.

Do you have the AoS app? It's pretty good place to start just to check out all the different armies and warscrolls, although there's a lot to take in.

The generals handbook is pretty great and will explain a lot more about competitive army list building, but to be honest I would try to get a game or two in just using the basic starter rules and not worry too much about the rest straight away.

I think the GHB is surely the right way to go for you. 

I'm not sure the GHB explains battalions, or if that's in the core 4 page ruleset, but basically they're just groupings of units that give you a special bonus if you take them. They cost points too, as they come with a bonus. Units can't be part of more than one battalion. That's basically all there is to know.

The GHB explains battleline, but it's basically just your "core" requirement. All points are in the GHB.

I don't think you can go wrong with the GHB in terms of getting more of a feel for the game, models, rules, ideas, ways to play, what interests you, etc.

Edit: I agree with Jabber, if information overload is a concern, just roll some dice with your Storm of Sigmar set to get a feel for things first and go from there.

1 hour ago, Kirith said:

Just picked up the Storm of Sigmar box and read the rules about a week ago. I have some ideas about what armies I like the look of but am wondering what's the next 'thing' I should pickup to explain more about army building? I'm guessing it might be the Generals Handbook, but am a bit overwhelmed with information. I like the competitive play aspect of miniatures game so that would be where I'm headed in the longer term.

I understand what a warscoll is, but battalions/battleline etc I have no clue. In terms of previous experience I was a WFB player until 7th edition if that helps with comparison.

A battalion is a group of Warscrolls which also have some additional rules. So for example the Tallyband of Nurgle is a grouping of Warscrolls (1 Great Unclean One and 6 other warscrolls with the Nurgle Deamon keyword) and they get a bonus ability of healing wounds/returning models.

Battleline is where some Warscrolls in the General's Handbook have this keyword added to them. In order for you to make a army using the rules from the General's Handbook you need to take some Battleline units (think of it as your Core units).

Competitive Play is still fairly new and fresh at the minute and there is no winning list that beats everything. To get a feel, try watching the GW coverage from their first Competitive Age of Sigmar event - The Warlords 

WH AoS App and General's Handbook are the 2 things you will definitely look next.

Follow by a Battletome of your preferred faction if you really like the look and feel of them.
(I would recommend everyone to start from the army they "Like" first rather than finding the "Most Powerful" army. Because you will likely to stick with them for the long time: modelling, painting, using them to play.)

But the most important thing is to go find a nearest store or club and actually play (with your current Storm of Sigmar box is OK). A few demos will walk you through the rules and help you understand better than any books. If you begin familiar with gameplay then you can think strategically and select the right army synergy. Given that you're already the 7th ed player you will find it is pretty easy to under the term.

Actually the Matched Play rules in General's Handbook can be summarised in this reply alone.

• An army consist only 1 Grand Alliance. (i.e. cannot include Stormcast with Chaos in a single army).
  • Each unit have points.
  • You will see min/max model per unit in GH.
  • You can 'buy' unit by multiply min number: 5 Liberator = 100pt. 10 Liberators = 200 pt. 8 Liberators still = 200 pt.
  • Unit Role: Battleline (= Core Unit), Leader (= HQ), Artillery, Behemoths (something big), and Other
  • 1,000 points army -> Must contain at least 2 Battleline and 1 Leader (The same as Core 25% in Fantasy or 2 Troops 1 HQ in 40k). See the table in the GH page 107.
  • Reinforcement, Summon, Resurrection points must be deducted from the starting points. (i.e. no more spam summoning)
  • Hit, Would, Save -> Roll 1 always fail
  • Each spell can be attempted to cast only once per turn.
  • Extra attack cannot generate another extra attack.

Battalions are like Formation in 40k. (Someone call Synergy.) You get bonus from using battalion but it cost extra point to 'buy' a battalion aside from filing the required unit.

Example: If your army have 2 units of Retributors and 1 Unit of Prosecutors, then you can spend another 120 points to buy Hammerstrike Force Battalion, which grant you Hammerstrike and Celestial Supercharge abilities in addition to each warscroll abilities.

Archived