TGA Ultimate Guide to Bases in Age of Sigmar

Ben

13 hours ago, Hyperkinako said:

For example I have based my skaven characters on 32mm and the warlord from island of blood on a 40mm as it gives the model room to breath on the base and room for some basing material.

As others have said, going up a size or two isn't really an issue, it's going for smaller bases that could be interpreted at modelling for advantage.

With reference to your Skaven, I think you've got it spot-on. I've done something similar for my Moonclan. All my Grots are based on 25mm, my characters on 32mms, but larger models like Skarsnik will get an even larger round, or possibly an oval.

At the end of the day, if you use the basing size list here as a guideline, do what makes the most sense for your hobby without taking the mick.

Use Wheaton's Law as a handrail, and you won't go too far wrong.

Edited by Dangermouse425

The Chaos Warhounds I bought recently just don't look right on the 65x35mm ovals, they are just too big for the little puppies They are still supplied with squares, so I had to buy a couple packs of the oval ones. I put them on 32mm rounds instead, look much better , it's contentious , but hopefully won't cause any problems later down the line

6 hours ago, James McPherson said:

The Chaos Warhounds I bought recently just don't look right on the 65x35mm ovals, they are just too big for the little puppies They are still supplied with squares, so I had to buy a couple packs of the oval ones. I put them on 32mm rounds instead, look much better , it's contentious , but hopefully won't cause any problems later down the line

I've got a load of Chaos Warhounds left over from a trade and the previous owner based them on 40mm rounds to use as Flesh Hounds of Khorne in a 40k Daemons army. They suit the 40mm rounds very well.

I put my war hounds on 40mm rounds too. Dire Wolves on the other hand look good on the small ovals.

Edit: Shouldn't be too contentious with opponents as I think the larger rounds actually limit your own ability to move/get into combat more than the small ovals.

Edited by polarbear

Plague Censer Bearers are supplied with 32mm bases from GW, but in the Clan Pestilens battletome they are photographed with 25mm bases, same as the Plague Monks, so not sure what to do with them. At first I put them on 25mm, but with the new measure from base rules in the GH was about to swap them back to 32mm, then I saw the battletome and now I'm super confused. I want the army to be legal for pitched battle games and tournaments, not sure what to use though =S

Sorry if this is a dumb question but the dropbox list on page 1 looks a bit different from the list I referenced a few weeks ago to rebase my 5k points of Destruction. Off the top of my head I believe the Tyrant was recommended for a 50mm and now it references a 60mm. My ogors were on 40x40 squares so I converted them to 40mm rounds which seemed like a straight conversion but the list recommends 50mm. Did I base all my stuff wrong or am I reading it wrong? Looking at the Destruction book and comparing the pics to my models the Ogor bulls look like they're on 40mm rounds and the Tyrant and Maneaters are on 50mm. Thanks for all the hard work that has gone into this, I'm just in a bit of a panic that I'm missing something.

9 hours ago, Blackflag760 said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but the dropbox list on page 1 looks a bit different from the list I referenced a few weeks ago to rebase my 5k points of Destruction. Off the top of my head I believe the Tyrant was recommended for a 50mm and now it references a 60mm. My ogors were on 40x40 squares so I converted them to 40mm rounds which seemed like a straight conversion but the list recommends 50mm. Did I base all my stuff wrong or am I reading it wrong? Looking at the Destruction book and comparing the pics to my models the Ogor bulls look like they're on 40mm rounds and the Tyrant and Maneaters are on 50mm. Thanks for all the hard work that has gone into this, I'm just in a bit of a panic that I'm missing something.

Yeah gw has their Tyrant on a 50 and regular Ogors on 40s. Perhaps that is the old fan made base conversion chart from the early AoS days? The Google doc is more up to date.

Edited by The Stronghold

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, meermouse said:

Doesn't a soul grinder require a 170mmx105mm according to the excel sheet? Unless I'm missing something:S

The SG comes with a rectangle base. Which I threw in a bits box somewhere. I wanted to round base it and the above was the best size I found. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for making this document!

However, I don't understand why battleline daemons units (plaguebearers, bloodletters, daemonettes, horrors) should go on 32mm bases. GW supply them with 25mm bases, they are on 25mm bases on all pictures and they fit really well on these. I've put a few of my plaguebearers on 32mm bases and it just doesn't work: they look small and it visually doesn't make sense.