TGA Ultimate Guide to Bases in Age of Sigmar

Ben

6 hours ago, Dangermouse425 said:

Mitzy,

Did you get your Giant based? I can send you a photo of my one on a 75x46mm if you like?

No I haven't yet, I thought he would go on a 105 x 70 mm base (same as an Orruk boar chariot) but the photo of the Aleguzzler Gargant formation in the Destruction book shows them on much smaller ones (possibly same as Gore Gruntas 90 x 50 mm)

Screenshot_20160509-201934.png

11 hours ago, Mitzy said:

No I haven't yet, I thought he would go on a 105 x 70 mm base (same as an Orruk boar chariot) but the photo of the Aleguzzler Gargant formation in the Destruction book shows them on much smaller ones (possibly same as Gore Gruntas 90 x 50 mm)

My apologies, I did mean 90x52mm. That's what my Giants are on. The same size my Gore Gruntas came with. (Strangely though, the GW website says Gore Gruntas come with 75x42mm bases, but all three boxes of mine came with 90x52s). 

20160510_072310_zpsozfe6ek9.jpg

25mm, 32mm, 40mm and 90x52mm

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dangermouse425 said:

My apologies, I did mean 90x52mm. That's what my Giants are on. The same size my Gore Gruntas came with. (Strangely though, the GW website says Gore Gruntas come with 75x42mm bases, but all three boxes of mine came with 90x52s). 

20160510_072310_zpsozfe6ek9.jpg

25mm, 32mm, 40mm and 90x52mm

Perfect thanks very much, 90x52mm it is, and yes my Gore Gruntas came with the same as yours so I guess the website is a typo... Thanks for your help.

I've just started putting together the old Skarsnik Model and it fit's perfectly on a 60x35 (standard cavalry base).

Obviously now the squig is just a weapon choice so if you're running it as that I assume it would be acceptable to put the hole thing on a 25mm.. if you can get it to fit!

I suppose it depennds on if you want to use this model:

452714_sm-Big Boss, Night Goblins, Squigs.jpg

Or this!

skarsnik_goblin_army_beat_wood_elves.jpg

EDIT: I'll be using the latter!

Edited by Painted by G

Hi Ben, this is going to sound really petty but I think the Chaos Knights go on the 75 x 46 rather than the 60 x 35. We we're at Warhammer World the weekend end and as I am converting a WOC army over to AOS I was looking for the sizes in the display. Definitely larger than the Marauder Horsemen (which was 60 x 35) but not as big as the new Varanguard. I haven't made the change in the spreadsheet as I didn't want to ****** anyone off. Thanks for the chart it's really useful. Ade

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't take this question as a negative.  It's cool to see so much effort going into the hobby.  I have a genuine question though, especially now that the General's Handbook is looming.

Why all the concern over base size in a game that quite deliberately encourages you to use whatever base you like?  I understand that certain events might want to make some rules based on bases, but it just seems an awfully tough pill to swallow to be told your army is not valid for that event (or from one event to the next if they use different base size rules) when the game itself tells you do put models on what you like.

-Joe

• Like 1

Hi Joe, 

Welcome to TGA Community.  

The rules say there are no bases. If thats how you feel then carry on as usual and nothing has changed and nothing in here matters.  

If you want to know what is the best/'correct/generally agreed upon right  base size for XXX unit (as many, many other people have asked already) then I hope this guide is useful to you. 

Hi Ben,

Thanks!

Thing is though, it has changed for me.  If I want to play with my old Warhammer army, or a new AoS army I've built with cool bases that seem appropriately sized to my eyes, I am concerned that I may be denied games because of my models are not on the (artificially) "right" bases.

Anyhoo, maybe it won't be a problem.  It was just a passing thought I had about wondering why folks were putting so much into layering on a potentially exclusionary part of the game that the game does not have in it, even post-General's Handbook.

Carry on! :)

On 03/07/2016 at 10:20 PM, Ben said:

Hi Joe, 

Welcome to TGA Community.  

The rules say there are no bases. If thats how you feel then carry on as usual and nothing has changed and nothing in here matters.  

If you want to know what is the best/'correct/generally agreed upon right  base size for XXX unit (as many, many other people have asked already) then I hope this guide is useful to you. 

This is good news to me as I was planning on sticking my Cavalry on 50mm round bases. Gamewise I am at a disadvantage so I am sure I will not hear too many complaints.

Hi,

Know this is kinda answered above but I have been rebasing a bunch of older models and mostly keeping to the regular sizes.  However there have been a few models which just looked so much better on larger base sizes as the suggested felt too cramped aesthetically .

Just wondered how those regularly playing base to base and those running tournaments feel about oversized when not designed for advantage?

For example I have based my skaven characters on 32mm and the warlord from island of blood on a 40mm as it gives the model room to breath on the base and room for some basing material.

I have also been painting Nagash on his old rectangular base.  I'm really reluctant to rebase anyway as been adding some interesting details but been considering transferring to round but the current GW size is 130mm, this looks cramped to me and I would have to loose a lot of the basing materials.  Been considering the 160mm as think this will look great.

My worry is I would not be able to use these if I ever want to play tournaments as they would not be "legal"

Thoughts?

Thanks

Andrew