TGA Ultimate Guide to Bases in Age of Sigmar

Ben

I think I caught every post in the thread here,sorry if I missed it but has anyone figured up a base size for the Dread Saurian yet?

It is not shipped with a base and the model itself is very large.Ive just finished the base body assembly with the legs,head and tail so I could take some measurements.He comes in at a massive 34cm x 11 cm wide(approx),there is no base in production that I can find that would fit this model so what I would like to do is make a custom one out of some 1/8 panel I have..ive done similar with Nagash early last year as I purchased that model during its 8th edition release.

Ive used a Carnasaur to compare it to as its similar proportions and it basically works out to an oval base of approx 150 mm wide by 200mm long would seem about right.I dont want to go too big as I feel I would get complaints of it being able to cover an objective control area,yet too small makes it difficult to get models into base to base,especially taller models that would its body and such.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?

Edited by Thostos

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:20 AM, Iradekhorne said:

170x105mm base i think

The most biggest is the new khornate dragon but u cant play with this.... is more big than my cat comone.... xD

Dread Saurian does not fit on a 170x105...too narrow.

Ive fabricated a 220x130mm base and it looks very proportional.

Edited by Thostos
Adding a note

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Regarding Spire of Dawn bases; I assume the flappy-bird aelf(v?) hero has the largest base, and that would be a GW 105x70mm (102x68mm by my measurement, but hey - close enough).

The problem is that the box only includes 25mm's for the skaven heroes, whereas I've been putting those on 32mm's so far (like @Percivael and the dark aelf heroes). I think I'll keep doing that, as they look better and pops more on 32mm's - or do would that be a bad idea?

Edited by J-P
Clarification

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Quick question about bases for daemons.

Are the 25mm round ones ok for battleline choices such as bloodletters and Plagebearers?

Those are the ones they were supplied with when I got them, thus being the ones they are assembles in (some of them are the old metal ones with inserts in them even)

What is the general consensus with this?

28 minutes ago, kaintxu said:

Hi,

Quick question about bases for daemons.

Are the 25mm round ones ok for battleline choices such as bloodletters and Plagebearers?

Those are the ones they were supplied with when I got them, thus being the ones they are assembles in (some of them are the old metal ones with inserts in them even)

What is the general consensus with this?

The latest release of Bloodletters (in the Start Collecting box) come with 32mm bases, so the consensus is to pop them on 32's - they're also a lot more stable!

39 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

The latest release of Bloodletters (in the Start Collecting box) come with 32mm bases, so the consensus is to pop them on 32's - they're also a lot more stable!

I understand that, which is why I was asking, but got like 50 of them in 25mm bases, that would mean having to spend like 20 quid on bases (not counting if I start rebasing all my Plaguebearers (40) daemonettes and horrors)

My questions is, do tournaments usually allow for it?

1 minute ago, kaintxu said:

I understand that, which is why I was asking, but got like 50 of them in 25mm bases, that would mean having to spend like 20 quid on bases (not counting if I start rebasing all my Plaguebearers (40) daemonettes and horrors)

I've not seen any tournament rule a specific size must be used, so having them on 25's shouldn't be a problem as it currently stands

I'm doing a Celestial Hurricanum for my Sylvaneth army and going to replace the small 50x100mm rectangle base with a 170x105mm oval. The extra size will allow me to have two pairs of fey steeds pulling it as well as more interesting basing details. I did an overlay of the two sizes using PowerPoint, and it isn't really as drastic of a size increase as it may sound.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2017 at 7:13 PM, LunarLizard said:

I'm about to spend £80 on bases from GW. But can't find them anywhere else. Which I can't believe. it's only for a very small army I had in 8th.

Did u find any other place to get them?

Larger bases aren't usually a problem, smaller ones are usually disallowed as they allow more models to get attacks in.
I would complain to the to if my opponent bad smaller bases.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, LunarLizard said:

I only found 25mm round slotted ones.
So looks like I'll be buying from GW later to get all the others.
What about you?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I fount some nice prices ones on eBay. They are 30mm instead of 32mm but I guess no one will even notice and that will be better than going on 25mm 

they also had 40mm and 50mm at nice prices.

search for 30mm bases and you should find it. It was like 3 pounds for 50

Hi all,

What bases are oficial for pink horrors? I have a box to assemble which I bought at the time AoS came out and it´s all 25mm, but I think the box has been updated.

How about daemonettes and pallbearers? I have like 40 of each to rebase and my idea was 25mm as that is what they come with but afraid they will go into 32mm once reboxed.

Cheers,

On 4/9/2017 at 8:16 AM, KnightFire said:

Larger bases aren't usually a problem, smaller ones are usually disallowed as they allow more models to get attacks in.
I would complain to the to if my opponent bad smaller bases.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Unless you are going multiple sizes in either direction, any difference is marginal at best. While smaller bases allow for one or two extra models to attack in close combat, larger bases provide more area denial, enhance the power of aura effects, and give you more options with anything that requires measuring range from the base.

On 4/15/2017 at 2:09 PM, kaintxu said:

Hi all,

What bases are oficial for pink horrors? I have a box to assemble which I bought at the time AoS came out and it´s all 25mm, but I think the box has been updated.

How about daemonettes and pallbearers? I have like 40 of each to rebase and my idea was 25mm as that is what they come with but afraid they will go into 32mm once reboxed.

Cheers,

They went to 25 round at AoS launch, but the boxes as of DoT now come with 32s. Ask your local TO, but at the end of the day, you should be fine using whatever the models were packaged with.