TGA Ultimate Guide to Bases in Age of Sigmar

Ben

However, I don't understand why battleline daemons units (plaguebearers, bloodletters, daemonettes, horrors) should go on 32mm bases. GW supply them with 25mm bases, they are on 25mm bases on all pictures and they fit really well on these. I've put a few of my plaguebearers on 32mm bases and it just doesn't work: they look small and it visually doesn't make sense.

Completely agree with this one. I played against Plaguebearers yesterday and they look tiny and lost on 32mm bases. They are a unit to be fielded in blocks of 30 (or even 40) so 32mm bases seem excessive.

• Like 1

All 4 factions of daemons are going on 32mms for me.  I'm liking the general rule of old 20mm squares --> 25mm rounds, and old 25mm squares --> 32mm rounds.  

By this logic chaos mortals and daemons should go onto 32mms.  So far I have based the bloodbound infantry, tzeentch mortals from Silver Tower and a unit of pink horrors.  All look great on 32mm.  Bloodletters next.

The Chaos heroes will usually go on 40mm unless they are no bigger than their corresponding infantry (ie Tzeentch Sorceror lord went onto a 32mm).

• 2 weeks later...

I recently finished one of my first units for my Hosts of Slaanesh, but was curious about opinions on the bases. I've initially just gone with the 40k biker bases they came with, but I'm wondering if they wouldn't look better on the oval ones (60x35?).

Excuse my sloppy painting, I'm working on improving my neatness.

2jaxch3.jpg

Edited by Wundlesprut

• 2 weeks later...

Also curious about Aelves. I'm about to start rebasing my dark elf army and am not sure what the best way to go is.

My army is big blocks of infantry (Darkshards and Dreadspears etc), so I think 25mm would look better. A huge block of 30 spearmen on 32mm rounds would look a bit to sparse I think; they should be a bit closer packed together as their job entails.

but then I also have a large block of black guard and don't want people thinking I'm modelling for advantage by putting them on 25. However I think having similar sized elves on different sized bases would start to look a bit uneven.

What size bases are the elf heroes in Silver Tower supplied with? Are these a good guide or are they larger to be more impressive for this game?

In the sylvaneth range, tree revenants come on 32mm rounds, would that be a good comparison?

@Tullbeard I have recently rebased my dark elf army - see photo. Average size infantry such as corsairs and dark shards on 25 mm, this is what GW have done as far as I can tell from photos in Grand Alliance Order. I wanted characters such as Lokhir Fellheart and Black Ark Fleetmasters to stand out from the crowd as stand alone units, so put them on 32mm and they look great - they need that space to be honest, especially Lokhir. The Aelf heroes  from silver tower are also on 32mm. Recent sculpts by GW are no longer going to have ranking up in mind so poses will be more dynamic and spread out and so suited to larger bases than what similar models used to have.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On August 18, 2016 at 4:46 AM, grunnlock said:

Thanks for making this document!

However, I don't understand why battleline daemons units (plaguebearers, bloodletters, daemonettes, horrors) should go on 32mm bases. GW supply them with 25mm bases, they are on 25mm bases on all pictures and they fit really well on these. I've put a few of my plaguebearers on 32mm bases and it just doesn't work: they look small and it visually doesn't make sense.

Agreed completely.  Rule 1 for basing should be: Models should be based on the (round) bases they come with.  Since some models come with two different size bases (i.e. Plague bearers), you should be able to base them on one of the two appropriate sized bases.  No one should be punished for basing models on the bases those models ship from GW with.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2016 at 7:58 PM, Saulot said:

Hey guys, need some advice on how to base some of my models:

Dreadlord on Black Dragon : 120X92mm or 105x75mm or 130mm round

Hydra : 120X92mm or 105x75mm

Drakespwn Chariot : 120X92mm or 105x75mm

Thanks!

I've just gone to a 105 as soon as it gets to that point, keeps it fairly uniform as I think quite a few things are on the 105s now.

2 hours ago, rokapoke said:

Do you anticipate GW requiring specific bases? As of now it's a free-for-all.

At some point in the future yes.  How long that will be who knows.  It is far better to play it safe then rage quitting later on when you have to rebase.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2016 at 8:11 AM, Tullbeard said:

Do we know what base size the Aelves in Spire of Dawn were shipped with?

That's a pretty good question and would indeed be a good indicator.  As I am just about to assemble a new Daughters of Khaine force, I'd be interested in the answer.

Looking at the photos on GW's site, they really appear to be 25, not 32.

On 27/08/2016 at 8:02 PM, Wundlesprut said:

I recently finished one of my first units for my Hosts of Slaanesh, but was curious about opinions on the bases. I've initially just gone with the 40k biker bases they came with, but I'm wondering if they wouldn't look better on the oval ones (60x35?).

Excuse my sloppy painting, I'm working on improving my neatness.

2jaxch3.jpg

I'm in the same spot. The made to order ones come with the new oval bases. If you look at the AoS base packs they only do oval for cavalary. Same for 40k. I think these old rectangle biker bases are on their way out over time. 

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, BelgianBeerBear said:

Not sure what the chart says but the Gargant in the ironjawz battleforce box came with the 105x70mm base. So this might be the "GW standard"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for this info Belgianbeerbear -- I'm glad someone was able to back to me on this.  I have one of those bases too, so I can get him mounted tonight. cheers!