Regiments of Renown

With the rules for the new Regiments of Renown now out, what do you guys think about them?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/01/download-rules-for-regiments-of-renown-and-bring-spicy-abilities-to-liven-up-your-army/

Do you like what they are offering? Do you think this a good way foreward for mercenaries in AoS?

Overall, I think Regiments of Renown have turned out pretty good for what they are. I like that the rules are just online: You neither have to buy the box nor the White Dwarf with their rules to play them. Only time will tell if the rules are permanent enough for the boxes to not invite buyer's remorse, though.

I like that GW has found a way for allies to bring in some of their armies' defining battle traits into other armies, like that 6+ ward for Zombies or poisoned weapons for Kruleboyz.

None of the RoR seem especially overpowered at first glance, but I think a few of them will still be interesting to use. The Zombie RoR seems like it would be pretty good in an OBR list, for example. The Warcry beast RoR seems kind of like a dud, though.

• Like 1

Could the Coven of Thryx be good in a slaanesh army to create depravity points with all this endless spells?

Wouldn't someone just snipe the Magister? Or is the Magister a Galletian Champion ( the Coven of Thryx is unique but the magister himself not)

Edited by Sonnenspeer

Kruleboyz one is +1 attack only if u get a wound on a monster with the killbow first. Its highly situational imho. But i guess its nice to have vs some lists spamming huge things.

Edit: I just dont see bonesplitterz/ ironjawz needing more monster killy stuff. Moonclan and troggs dont need less synergy in their lists. Maybe Spiderfang could use these.

Edited by Gitzdee

How does this work in terms of rules being valid? I know that rules in a Generals Handbook only last until the next GH. But with ad hoc rules like these when do they 'expire'?

(Not asking for a timescale, more asking how GW inform us when they are no longer valid)

1 hour ago, EntMan said:

How does this work in terms of rules being valid? I know that rules in a Generals Handbook only last until the next GH. But with ad hoc rules like these when do they 'expire'?

(Not asking for a timescale, more asking how GW inform us when they are no longer valid)

Good question. We will have to see, but in theory they can keep them legal by reprinting the rules/giving them points/declaring them legal on future battlescrolls.

On 3/2/2023 at 8:30 PM, Gitzdee said:

Edit: I just dont see bonesplitterz/ ironjawz needing more monster killy stuff. Moonclan and troggs dont need less synergy in their lists. Maybe Spiderfang could use these.

Interestingly there's nothing stopping Big Waagh taking them, so if you are running Big Waagh and were going to take some Bolt Boyz and a Killbow then you might as well take them instead.

• Like 1

So is anyone picking any of these up? I've pre-ordered Hargax's Pit Fiends, but only because I've wanted all three of the minis for a while now and this is a cheaper way to get them (I have to decide whether to keep my boxed Ogroid as well, or sell it). Other than that I'm resisting.

1 hour ago, JerekKruger said:

Interestingly there's nothing stopping Big Waagh taking them, so if you are running Big Waagh and were going to take some Bolt Boyz and a Killbow then you might as well take them instead.

Boltboyz + shaman is the better pick imho. 

44 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

So is anyone picking any of these up? I've pre-ordered Hargax's Pit Fiends, but only because I've wanted all three of the minis for a while now and this is a cheaper way to get them (I have to decide whether to keep my boxed Ogroid as well, or sell it). Other than that I'm resisting.

I've ordered the dwarves with a 15% additional discount through my LGS, because it seemed a cheap way to get a bunch of models I'd been thinking of getting for a while.

17 minutes ago, EntMan said:

I've ordered the dwarves with a 15% additional discount through my LGS, because it seemed a cheap way to get a bunch of models I'd been thinking of getting for a while.

I was actually tempted by that one too, but those old Dwarf sculpts are right on the edge of what I'm happy with these days. They just feel a bit old.

I do think these will mostly sell as a way to get further discounted minis, rather than as their intended RoRs.

1 hour ago, JerekKruger said:

I was actually tempted by that one too, but those old Dwarf sculpts are right on the edge of what I'm happy with these days. They just feel a bit old.

They're only a couple of years older than AoS is, but I think the Longbeards just suffer from being designed to be ranked up. The shields look much better, but for some reason GW almost never uses them in promo shots.

The Ironbreakers/Irondrakes in particular I still think are fantastic.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

They're only a couple of years older than AoS is, but I think the Longbeards just suffer from being designed to be ranked up. The shields look much better, but for some reason GW almost never uses them in promo shots.

There's some early AoS releases in not that fond of either. Then again I live Blight Kings who are, I think, pre-AoS, so it's not always age.

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The Ironbreakers/Irondrakes in particular I still think are fantastic.

Most likely I'll make them as Hammerers rather than Longbeards, and possibly some of them with Ironbreaker heads.

I've got a unit of Breakers already and love them, but half wish I'd done them as Drakes, so now I'll have the chance.

Edited by EntMan

Tbh, these just feel like a lazy way to sell some models that may not be selling as well, by adding a name that has nostalgia to many people. RoR is a concept that could have been extremely awesome, had they gone a proper mercenary route; similar to the older days. I would imagine that there would be some really cool design space for mercenaries in the realms. 

• Like 3

On 3/4/2023 at 5:06 PM, Tervindar said:

Tbh, these just feel like a lazy way to sell some models that may not be selling as well, by adding a name that has nostalgia to many people. RoR is a concept that could have been extremely awesome, had they gone a proper mercenary route; similar to the older days. I would imagine that there would be some really cool design space for mercenaries in the realms. 

Totally agree.

the old regiments of renowned used to have unique models with a nice back story.

as you say, nothing special about these other than to flog some existing stuff.

Now a modern take on mordini’s doomed legion, the knights of origo or the black mountain boys etc, that would be something.

47 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

the old regiments of renowned used to have unique models with a nice back story.

Now a modern take on mordini’s doomed legion, the knights of origo or the black mountain boys etc, that would be something.

I doubt these boxes were part of game development like the old Dogs of War.  I guess they are marketing's response to the economy.  

GW don't do discounts, sales of price cuts.  So, their solution is selling in bulk with more boxsets.  The same is true in 40k - there are so many battle forces, combat patrols, boarding parties these days. However, after Dominion, GW are perhaps cautious of flooding the AoS marketplace so a limited range for each grand alliance is a smart business move.

Our nostalgia for the Old Dogs of War range probably clouds our judgment.   I hope this range will be well received by average customer because it may encourage more of these boxes in future.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 4:00 AM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/01/download-rules-for-regiments-of-renown-and-bring-spicy-abilities-to-liven-up-your-army/

Do you like what they are offering? Do you think this a good way foreward for mercenaries in AoS?

I didn't know they dropped rules.  Thanks for the link :D

I would say rules for RoR are a passing fancy.  I don't recall seeing RoR last long other than from 5th ed, there were some in 6th edition and one guy used his DoW in 7th a bit.  

I also feel this isn't the first time we've had a mercenary/RoR mechanic in AoS.

If you want the models and the discount it is a good thing to consider.  I noticed the Kruleboyz was $55 CAD cheaper than the items individually (no clue if they are good).  Someone gave me the ltd edition Kruleboy guy with the vulture on his shoulder and I am old enough to remember buying Citadel Orcs in blister packs with the Eye of Sauron so I still feel the pull for that nostalgia and to paint them like pre Dave Andrews Greenskins skin.

21 hours ago, OG SCE said:

I doubt these boxes were part of game development like the old Dogs of War.  I guess they are marketing's response to the economy.  

GW don't do discounts, sales of price cuts.  So, their solution is selling in bulk with more boxsets.  The same is true in 40k - there are so many battle forces, combat patrols, boarding parties these days. However, after Dominion, GW are perhaps cautious of flooding the AoS marketplace so a limited range for each grand alliance is a smart business move.

Our nostalgia for the Old Dogs of War range probably clouds our judgment.   I hope this range will be well received by average customer because it may encourage more of these boxes in future.

Im going back way before dogs of war, back to 1st and second ed fantasy battle.

….but yea what you said.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 12:22 AM, Kaleb Daark said:

Totally agree.

Yeah, even before the release I thought that this would become a meme:

AMWts8BiUX2yfqMO4BoeGTvAf--p1EbBPWsh1un_

The Regiments of Renown really should have come with a campaign book that used them.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1