The Painting Contract - March 2023

4 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

It's ambitious, but maybe you could do lifeless rock in front of the model and greenery radiating from its footsteps?

A bit much for a 30 of these but i like your spirit. Might do something like that for the Kurnoth Hunters and the Treelord (cant decide what version im going to build).

7 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

A bit much for a 30 of these but i like your spirit.

Easy approach: (i) start with some texture paste (ii) drybrush warm white; (iii) apply some green / brown / orange (blending the colours on the base); (iv) put a grass / flower tuft here and there. Done.

• Like 1

Thank you!

It's a combination of several colors from Vallejo's new reformulated Game Color Range in a number of layers.

Gory Red -> Scarlet Red layer -> thinned Violet Wash -> Gory Red + Scarlett Red layer ->Scarlett Blood Highlight -> Orange Fire Final highlight.

I've just finished applying the highlights to the first guardian defender!

is2wijL.jpg

zCq7Uku.jpg

6a3Lvqy.jpg

jilbd7n.jpg

YtDEEPV.jpg

MZtme9h.jpg

WGKgX2q.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1

14 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Personally, I use Citadel bracken and creeping vines on my low-effort forrest bases:

20230311_0933042.jpg.006e00b02a5d339f6673e48c954bce89.jpg

20230311_0935122.jpg.05ca20ea30da6355558d7f59af70e5ee.jpg

I like that they look more in scale with the models than tuffs or natural materials like birch seeds.

It looks really good, but you have to paint bracken & vines - and highlighting these leafs  (as you did) is not something I would call a “low effort base” 😄

8 hours ago, Flippy said:

It looks really good, but you have to paint bracken & vines - and highlighting these leafs  (as you did) is not something I would call a “low effort base” 😄

Haha, I'm definitely not going to argue that point. But it's really pretty quick from my perspective. Just slapping a bunch of basing paste and plants on the base, using washes and drybrushing for colour and about 5 mins of highlighting. Maybe it felt fast to me because I don't feel pressure to paint inside the lines on bases. Got some green on the ground while painting leaves? That's just extra moss now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sparxius said:

Finished the Treelord and base is work in progress.

Started painting the Durthu aswell, going to be a really dark version.

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-16 at 15.17.10.jpeg

What colours did u use for the bright parts and the leaves?

Edit: love this paint scheme.

Edited by Gitzdee

1 hour ago, Gitzdee said:

What colours did u use for the bright parts and the leaves?

Edit: love this paint scheme.

Leaves:

Citadel Khorne Red base

Citadel Trollslayer orange Layer 25/75 water

Citadel Trollslayer orange Layer 50/50 water

Citadel Yriel Yellow Layer/Glaze 25/75 water

Citadel Yriel Yellow Layer/Glaze 50/50 water

Glazing/Layering to the highlight part, or what you want to be showing as the brightest part.

You can use another layer inbetween the Trollslayer orange and Yriel Yellow with Citadel Fire Dragon Bright also glazing/layering.

And if you want it brighter on the yellow parts you can go with Citadel Flash Gitz Yellow and then 50/50 mix with white.

Hope this answers your question. :)

• Like 1