Next Faction - What would you like to see?

Gaz Taylor

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made no bones about it, I think I've posted this in about a hundred places now.  I wan't more reinforcements for GA: Death.  GA:D is so aesthetically and fluff 2 dimensional.  I wan't other takes on Undead besides the old VC line.  

I'll admit I'm still a bit butt hurt about the loss of Tomb Kings, which was the army I'd just started collecting when End Times fired up, and now won't be able to complete, since the kits are essentially 3 times the cost of what they were when I started.  Though, I'm not too upset.  I understand the business decision to eliminate under-performing lines.  And, though I know it makes me sound entitled, I feel like us Undead players deserve a little recompense for the loss of half of our total faction options.

That said, I've been excited about every release so far.  GW seems to be doing awesome things with their fluff, and honing in on what makes an awesome Battletome.  I'm certain that whatever comes next will be great.  My personal doubts about their reworking of factions was alleviated with the release of BT: Flesh Eaters Court.  When I first heard about the fluff, I really thought it sounded pretty awful, but since it was the only Death BT I eventually had to pick it up, and upon reading it, well... Let's just say my initial impressions were way off.

16 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Legions of Eternity.

Settra at the head of a revamped TK range (based on new death aesthetic and not called TK).  He's told Chaos to eff off.  He's defied Nagash. His universe has been turned to dust. His old allies have wussed out.

He needs to sweep through the mortal realms, conquering as he goes, obliterating Chaos, and marching toward Nagash to say "Ok, loser, the time of twerps and bloodsuckers is over.   Kneel before your King."

^^^^^THIS!!!!

I would love this.  I mean Settra really may be the most Bad Ass character in the Warhammer world.  That's right I capitalized Bad Ass.  Seriously, who takes advantage of the Chaos Gods, tells them to get bent, and then passes on an opportunity to smack his arch rival just to proove a point about who's in charge?

SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE!  SETTRA RULES!!!

Eh… if you don't want Death to become one-note, I think that the last thing we need is another "all will serve me!" megalomaniac. I think Nagash has that angle covered. If they were to introduce another personality for Death, I'd hope for some contrast. Less ambitious solipsistic nutcase, more… I dunno, a complicated team player? A charismatic antihero? A sympathetic monster? Nagash is a bit too easy to hate, and Settra sounds too much like Nagash minus the winning.

1 hour ago, RossMHoward said:

Corrupted Stormcast could be failed experiments. Like trying to save the twisted souls of Skaven or Orruks? Or maybe those further down the path of reforging who've lost their identity and purpose. 

But despite that. I'd love to see Battletomes containing Spell Lores and Artefacts for Fyreslayers, Flesh Eater Courts, Stormcast, Bloodbound, Pestilens, Ironjawz etc. 

Maybe they could put an extra wound on the Fyreslayers footsoldiers while they're at it? And bring back Runes! Lets throw this beautiful army a lifeline before drowning them further in the arms race of new releases. 

Imo, Fyreslayer allegiance should involve tunneling/vanguard deployment rules. New runes always welcome!

If we are wishlisting old WFB factions now I would like to see Kislev and Pygmies.

2 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Eh… if you don't want Death to become one-note, I think that the last thing we need is another "all will serve me!" megalomaniac. I think Nagash has that angle covered. If they were to introduce another personality for Death, I'd hope for some contrast. Less ambitious solipsistic nutcase, more… I dunno, a complicated team player? A charismatic antihero? A sympathetic monster? Nagash is a bit too easy to hate, and Settra sounds too much like Nagash minus the winning.

Aborash or Vlad. Or 

Spoiler

Kjc6dMR.png?1

7 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Actually I like this point.

I'd have to say though, that Settra is different that Nagash in a lot of ways.  Though he was a supreme leader of his faction, I don't believe he had the same sort of goals as Nagash.  He was never about seeing all undead under his rule, or all life extinguished.  He was more a strong man ruler of his domain.  This was actually one of the issues with TK fluff in the old world.  TK just had very little reason to leave their territory, unless in pursuit of some artifact.  I believe Settra, and the TK could be rehabilitated in interesting ways for AoS, much like other factions.

That said, my main reason for wanting them back is that I loved the original fluff and aesthetic, and because I'm a bit invested in them in terms of cash, and would love to finish my army for less than the price of a black market organ.

;)

Ultimately though, any additions to death that break from the old VC stuff will make me happy.  Not that I don't like the VC.  It was a hard choice for me originally picking between TK and VC... I just backed the wrong horse.

1 minute ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Ultimately though, any additions to death that break from the old VC stuff will make me happy.  Not that I don't like the VC.  It was a hard choice for me originally picking between TK and VC... I just backed the wrong horse.

You now have a load of cool models with unique rules that you can run alongside VC units and nobody else can add to their army unless they're willing to drop four times the price you bought them for on ebay. Speaking as someone with several large boxes full of Dogs of War, Kislev and squat models he's unwilling to part with you very much picked the right (undead) horse. ;)

11 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

You now have a load of cool models with unique rules that you can run alongside VC units and nobody else can add to their army unless they're willing to drop four times the price you bought them for on ebay. Speaking as someone with several large boxes full of Dogs of War, Kislev and squat models he's unwilling to part with you very much picked the right (undead) horse. ;)

HA!  I suppose you are correct.  I just NEEED more Necropolis Knight (I have 3) and a Necrosphinx (or 2, or 3...).  (and more chariots, a Settra model... and on, and on....)

Oh, and I will never sell mine.  Just not happening.  Hopefully someday I'll have more money than brains, and will be able to add a couple more models into the old TK army.

I want to see aelves! Not just the old elves shoehorned into the new AoS setting, but new aelves. What with Malekith fusing with his dragon in the Ulgulands and turning into Malerion, and the Silver Tower's Mistweaver Saih, I'm getting hints of a shadowy aelf faction. Not to mention, Saih's staff resembles Slannesh's icon to a degree; I'm interested in what that could mean for Chaos.

I'm imagining an AoS army who's main shtick is illusion and deception, with teleportation, mobility, debuffs, etc. Shadow Aelves December 2016, make it happen!

3 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

What about some sort of werewolf faction? All kinds of possibilities there.

There was some cool stuff in the last End Times novelisation about the flame of Ulric being not quire snuffed out and possessing a random Empire soldiery dude. It would be pretty cool to see Ulric gone completely feral and regressed and the Children of Ulric (werewolves that the Ulrican clergy liked to kick under the carpet and never talk about) returning as a Destruction faction.

I've posted this before, hopefully not in this thread already, but I'd like a human barbarian Destruction faction. Perhaps during the Age of Chaos, some humans pledged themselves to Gorkamorka and became warrior tribes riding beasts and whatnot. Very connected to the land, animals, into shaman stuff, etc. Perhaps they fought with the Gorkamorka types to fend off Chaos from their realm, but could no longer be considered part of Order, have become far more tribal and savage. Maybe even some of them are part animal at this point.

6 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

There was some cool stuff in the last End Times novelisation about the flame of Ulric being not quire snuffed out and possessing a random Empire soldiery dude. It would be pretty cool to see Ulric gone completely feral and regressed and the Children of Ulric (werewolves that the Ulrican clergy liked to kick under the carpet and never talk about) returning as a Destruction faction.

I was not aware of this. Interesting indeed.

3 minutes ago, polarbear said:

I've posted this before, hopefully not in this thread already, but I'd like a human barbarian Destruction faction. Perhaps during the Age of Chaos, some humans pledged themselves to Gorkamorka and became warrior tribes riding beasts and whatnot. Very connected to the land, animals, into shaman stuff, etc. Perhaps they fought with the Gorkamorka types to fend off Chaos from their realm, but could no longer be considered part of Order, have become far more tribal and savage. Maybe even some of them are part animal at this point.

I was thinking this when I posted earlier in the thread about human barbarian kits with order/chaos options. Maybe throw destruction options in there too and leave death out. Continuing with the feral Ulric idea I had a couple of posts ago... ?

A 'good' death faction could be interesting.

Possibly along the lines of a Hades-vibe, maybe even an ancient priest/aspect of Morr? Heck, even just a kindly version of the Grim Reaper. Kinda like a 'free-peoples of Death'.

Sigmar and Chaos like messing with the 'natural' order of death, and Nagash seeks to enslave the dead.

This faction just want the natural cycle of death & life left be, and fight against any who seek to tinker with it.

From what I can gather in the fluff, in AoS it's entirely possible to be 'dead' and carry on 'living' without actually being undead.

Sort of "so opposite to the Sylvaneth that they're actually the same".

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'd like to see another realm explored. We've had celestial, fire, metal, death, life and beasts. That leaves light and shadow, which means aelfs. I'm really keen to see the angle they take on Tyrion and Teclis, so light aelfs for me.

13 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

A 'good' death faction could be interesting.

Possibly along the lines of a Hades-vibe, maybe even an ancient priest/aspect of Morr? Heck, even just a kindly version of the Grim Reaper. Kinda like a 'free-peoples of Death'.

Sigmar and Chaos like messing with the 'natural' order of death, and Nagash seeks to enslave the dead.

This faction just want the natural cycle of death & life left be, and fight against any who seek to tinker with it.

From what I can gather in the fluff, in AoS it's entirely possible to be 'dead' and carry on 'living' without actually being undead.

Sort of "so opposite to the Sylvaneth that they're actually the same".

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

At one point over in another thread, I talked about a Death hero rising up and challenging Nagash who is a surviving fragment of Morr, the World-That-Was's god of death. Dying, being broken up, and then getting stuck in a corpse/mortal could totally make Morr a bit edgier, more anti-hero, but I could see such an entity being concerned with restoring the natural order of life and death.

2 hours ago, MechaBriZilla said:

I just NEEED more Necropolis Knight (I have 3) and a Necrosphinx (or 2, or 3...).  (and more chariots, a Settra model... and on, and on....)

Contact me directly.  Been thinking of putting all my unpainted (much still on sprues) extra TK stuff up for sale and would prefer it goes to a good home.

2 minutes ago, Thanatos Ares said:

I thought Morr wasn't just broken up but completely consumed by Nagash thus preventing his return?

Waaagh! Skullcrack iz comin fer ya

I never actually read End Times, so I'm talking out my butt. Gods appear to be nigh-infinitely frangible beings, so it makes sense that some fragment of Morr could have survived. Or maybe not. Who knows?

Archived