What is going on with Archaon?

Are they just retconning as they go?

Firstly he got gifts from the three chaos gods and dhorgar represents tzeentch nurgle and khorne. The lore says he rejects the horned rat and will only accept slaanesh.

He has the slaanesh keyword though. So far so good.

Then I saw in some lore that he represented a bit of each chaos power, and what he took from skaven was their sheer numbers. So now he does accept skaven as legit? But still no keyword for them.

Then I also saw that (this might have been in a white dwarf) that his varanguard are marked by each of the four gods, including slaanesh, and they ride to battle with him. But the varanguard only have models for the other three gods.

What's going on?

Slaanesh the god is MIA. Archaon is not a fan of the horned rat joining the pantheon.

That said, he's not an idiot. If he's got the option of troops, why wouldn't he take them?

In terms of Varanguard and the Slaanesh keyword, the worship of Slaanesh is still a thing, but it's a bit difficult to drum up business when the store is shut - so remaining Slaanesh worshippers are probably going to be on the long-lived side.

That and GW are working on Slaanesh - the whole concept.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

That and GW are working on Slaanesh - the whole concept.

Slaanesh as glamrock is a dated concept. Modern Slaanesh worshippers should be narcy millennials, obsessed with 'doing good' only to boast about having done good, with Slaanesh shemself as a sort of tv reality/talent show mogul figure elevating his champions to the wildest heights, only to immediately flush them down the toilet when something shem thinks shem can sell better comes along.

34 minutes ago, Aristo said:

I was puzzled about Skaven joining Chaos when I first heard about it, as it seems that Nurgle and the Horned Rat have some minor overlap. I don't think that the HR really embodies primal emotion on a scale as the original four do, which is why he's an oddball in the pantheon.

Big overlap with Tzeentch too. Think of the Horned Rat as what you find underneath a Venn diagram.

13 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Semi off topic but in the End Times didn't Gringo have him beat and ended up just walking away or something?

@Arkiham I think it's on the shield.

That was the Storm of Chaos, the global campaign that was like the End Times, but nothing really happened at the end of 12 years ago, now an alternate continuity. Grimgor eadbuted Archaon, shattering the Eye of Sheerian at the end of the End Times and got decapitated by Archaon for his troubles.

20 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Semi off topic but in the End Times didn't Gringo have him beat and ended up just walking away or something?

@Arkiham I think it's on the shield.

It sure is; at the bottom of the shield are all four Chaos God runes:

99120201045_ArchaonEverchosen05.jpg

Then there's this odd skeletal face on the back of the saddle, which I'm unsure of:

pic-29777.jpg

19 hours ago, BaldoBeardo said:

That said, he's not an idiot. If he's got the option of troops, why wouldn't he take them?

This is the question that every hobbyist must ask themselves.

Will they be a hobby hero or WAAC, or tread the perilous path between?

Archived