Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for hurtling across the battlefield

RuneBrush

Well I'm pleased to say that over the weekend I finished the actual painting of my first Skull Cannon of Khorne!  It's taken about a month, but that includes catching up with bits following my Bloodbound marathon for the Seeds of Hope campaign.

Skullcannon-1-Fin1.jpg

Skullcannon-1-Fin2.jpgSkullcannon-1-Fin3.jpg

It's turned out roughly as I had in my head and although I could continue pratting around for ages, I think now is a good point to draw a line.  It needs to have a coat of gloss varnish, have textured paint applied (then washed and drybrushed) and be given a coat of matt varnish but happy to call it done.  Hopefully it should get it's first outing in a couple of weekends time!

For anybody who is thinking about doing one, what I would say is that this is the fiddliest kit I've done, both in terms of assembly and painting.  It does suffer from there being no sensible way to hold it, so I ended up having to use vinyl gloves and touch up any points that rubbed away (banding on the top of the cannon, wheel spikes and front horn).  I'd also recommend leaving the front wheel and chaps on the back off as sub-assemblies - the chaps on the back aren't glued in place either - they've a magnet in the bottom platform and the nub on the top of the cannon is pretty decent to keep them in place (though you could replace that with a small magnet too.

Overall I'm happy with how it's turned out but have enjoyed moving onto my next project (a pair of Slaughterpriests)

4 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Whoa, I'm not used to seeing Skullcannons with the bloodletters on the back!

Looks amazing, crisp, clean and downright enviable, great work!

Really?  Do people leave them off or put them at the front (where surely they'll get shot?)

Thanks.  There has been a lot of edge highlighting needed :D

15 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

I've got two regular opponents with Daemon armies, both of whom's Skullcannons have been in a perpetual state of wip for years, with the crew a separate sub assembly, never managing to appear on the battlefield (it's a small wonder they miss as often as they do!).

I can understand that!  It's a really weird kit and a couple of times I was tempted to "park" it and work on something else.  That said it was still a more pleasant experience than tidying up regular Bloodletters :S 

Archived