How do spell shrugs interact with endless spells that create an aura (i.e. Purple Sun?)

yukishiro1

Question

Things like Hallowheart's ignore the effect of a spell or endless spell on a 5+, stormdrake guard's 4+, etc are all worded saying they trigger "each time you are effected by a spell or endless spell." So what does that mean when the effect is ongoing in the form of an aura, like on the new Purple sun (save debuff w/in 6")? Do you roll the x+ to ignore the save debuff from Purple Sun each time you take damage? Or just once the first time it happens and then you have to live with the result of that roll until you're no longer effected by the aura, at which point you get to roll again next time you trigger it by being close enough? 

Edited by yukishiro1

4 answers to this question

This comes up a lot and I think there's a certain amount of common sense that needs to be applied.

I think my rule of thumb is that you can use the shrug on a spell that "targets" the model with the shrug at the point at which it is cast.

You are right that RAW, you could interpret it to mean any effect of any spell that in any way has any impact on the shrug unit e.g. if I attack a unit that is mystic shielded, do I roll the shrug to see if I am "affected" by your unit getting +1 save? - for me, the common sense approach to this would be no, the spell isn't affecting the unit attacking because it was targeted at the friendly unit.

With spell effects that happen on subsequent turns, I think it's less clear, especially with Endless spells as in the Purple Sun example. My instinct would be that you can roll it each turn when the Purple Sun moves - any unit within 6" of it after it moves can roll a shrug to ignore that effect for that turn. Then there are complications if the player decides not to move it, but I'd argue that's where common sense comes in.

It's certainly a multi-layered, potentially sticky one. As you say, hopefully it'll be FAQd

not saying that this is the right answer everyone should adopt but in the "official" clarifications in my area it is ruled that you roll the spell ignore every time the spell or endless spell "affects" the unit, so that would point towards your first option (every time attacks are resolved against that unit you roll to see whether the purple sun affects it)

EDIT: after checking, there is a specific point of said clarification concerning spells which modify a characteristic (quick translation: "Note that a spell can modify a characteristic, the effect of the spell is at the application of the spell and not at each use of the modified characteristic") so maybe it's the other way around, you roll to ignore the purple sun only once after it moves?

Edited by Marcvs

"each time this unit is affected by a spell or the abilities of an endless spell" 

So for a purple sun example;

- your opponent rolls a 1, you are now affected and now need to roll for you ignore.

- Your opponent targets you with a shooting attack.  "Subtract 1 from save rolls for attacks that target this unit..."  Roll to ignore.

- Your opponent now targets you with another different shooting attack from a different unit.  Roll to ignore as this is a new set of attacks.

Every separate instance where you are "affected" roll to ignore.  Just my opinion of course :)

16 hours ago, Fert said:

"each time this unit is affected by a spell or the abilities of an endless spell" 

So for a purple sun example;

- your opponent rolls a 1, you are now affected and now need to roll for you ignore.

- Your opponent targets you with a shooting attack.  "Subtract 1 from save rolls for attacks that target this unit..."  Roll to ignore.

- Your opponent now targets you with another different shooting attack from a different unit.  Roll to ignore as this is a new set of attacks.

Every separate instance where you are "affected" roll to ignore.  Just my opinion of course :)

But then again... you could take my example and say that is per attack... which would be insanely tedious... Needs faq.