A discussion of the lore of AoS after 7 years

Enoby

6 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

GW's model of LetMeSoloHer when? 😁

But yeah, kill more gods! 

Easily done.

let’s take the skaven,

and let ‘em go nuts.

there is no reason for sigmar he is after all a useless god, he is just waiting to get his army of automatas working in unity following his orders no matter the cost.

he is literally the thousand sons all over again

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's the best it has ever been. The fact we have consistent lore, novels, published alone speaks volumes compared to the fact we never really got anything back then.  

If you've read the Josh Reynolds or whomever did Callis and Toll stuff you can breathe a fresh air of relief.  The old guard authors always said "in fantasy you had this set of guidelines of what you could do" and Alan Merrit killed a lot of things that broke away from what he wanted.  

The Old World was Moorcock and Tolkien and that's like so much, an evolution built upon Tolkien.  But it was "land locked" and "grid locked" by lore and geography.  people argued the dumbest things back in 8th ed and before.  

Even when they tried to do Time of Legends it was a failure.  That they are trying to bring back The Old World as a HH style-fantasy prequel setting is baffling.  It sucked back then it will suck and fracture the community now.  

People who dislike current AoS lore, when I read them it generally is they don't like the freedom or they don't like it changed. And no one hates change like a gamer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Easily done.

let’s take the skaven,

and let ‘em go nuts.

there is no reason for sigmar he is after all a useless god, he is just waiting to get his army of automatas working in unity following his orders no matter the cost.

he is literally the thousand sons all over again

Lol, your insane rat god will never achieve anything lasting. It's not even accepted amongst the chaos gods, the four look down upon you're pathetic rodent god.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey @JReynolds!

I've got an small question about old Lore that maybe you can answer:

In End Times, Araloth was roaming around the Chaos Realms and ended up in the Realm of Nurgle. There, he found a "Giant with Silver Armor" and people started throwing a lot of theories around him. I must say that I'm really curious to know if you can throw some light to that character.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Hey @JReynolds!

I've got an small question about old Lore that maybe you can answer:

In End Times, Araloth was roaming around the Chaos Realms and ended up in the Realm of Nurgle. There, he found a "Giant with Silver Armor" and people started throwing a lot of theories around him. I must say that I'm really curious to know if you can throw some light to that character.

The cool thing is: By now that could‘ve been Gardus as well :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

Considering how low both those armies win rates are, none of this is actually a feat but two cripple donkey mauling at each other

Fun fact, at the same day I was able to beat a lumineth player with the same doomwheel spam list.

He gave me the first turn, thinking It would be impossible for me to come near him any way possible (he was set up 36inches away from me.

I was able to get levitate off, on my dommwheel, since he was out of range to unbind, as well as mmwp.

When the movement phase came, I rolle 4 sixes for the move, giving it a 24 inch movement.

with the vial of the fulminator buff that doomwheel flew over his army 48inches.

i proceeded doung 3mortal wounds to each unit in his army inclding heroes.

in the charge phase I rolled a 12 and choice to charge a single unit yet fly

ing in a spiral to hit every single lumineth unit in his army with the mortal wound ability doing another 2-3 mortals per unit.

in the end he lost 30 bowmen and all of his support heroes.

last man standing was teclis and a 2 damaged units of 4-6 spear guys

and this all happened in the first turn.

don’t ever underestimate a doomwheel mate😜

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

29 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Fun fact, at the same day I was able to beat a lumineth player with the same doomwheel spam list.

He gave me the first turn, thinking It would be impossible for me to come near him any way possible (he was set up 36inches away from me.

I was able to get levitate off, on my dommwheel, since he was out of range to unbind, as well as mmwp.

When the movement phase came, I rolle 4 sixes for the move, giving it a 24 inch movement.

with the vial of the fulminator buff that doomwheel flew over his army 48inches.

i proceeded doung 3mortal wounds to each unit in his army inclding heroes.

in the charge phase I rolled a 12 and choice to charge a single unit yet fly

ing in a spiral to hit every single lumineth unit in his army with the mortal wound ability doing another 2-3 mortals per unit.

in the end he lost 30 bowmen and all of his support heroes.

last man standing was teclis and a 2 damaged units of 4-6 spear guys

and this all happened in the first turn.

don’t ever underestimate a doomwheel mate😜

I don’t need to I just need my opponent to overestimate them lol ;) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, novakai said:

I don’t need to I just need my opponent to overestimate them lol ;) 

But that’s the beauty of the thing known as a doomwheel.

every player who will have been beaten to a pulb will overestimated the doomwheel everytim, just because they

fear-fear that one moment, when it literally goes mayhem.

and so the wheel becomes the priority target, when other should rather be,

yes-yes no matter what we do, the skaven will always win,

yes-yes

3 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

But that’s the beauty of the thing known as a doomwheel.

every player who will have been beaten to a pulb will overestimated the doomwheel everytim, just because they

fear-fear that one moment, when it literally goes mayhem.

and so the wheel becomes the priority target, when other should rather be,

yes-yes no matter what we do, the skaven will always win,

yes-yes

This is what we get for enabling you

Vastly out of subject aside, of some of the BL novels I read

i get the feeling (especially reading end of enlightenment which was so and so) that a lot of BL are really written to market and hype up models that are releasing rather then being superlative narrative book.

Dominon was better but it has the classic problem of we had as many dawnbringers in this crusade as the plot demanded needed to be there and enough spare afterward.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, novakai said:

i get the feeling (especially reading end of enlightenment which was so and so) that a lot of BL are really written to market and hype up models that are releasing rather then being superlative narrative book.

Dominon was better but it has the classic problem of we had as many dawnbringers in this crusade as the plot demanded needed to be there and enough spare afterward.

Most books feel a lot like reading a child’s book with lots of gore imo. I can‘t really put my finger on it but it feels like sometimes the authors try too hard (or too little: That exorcism performed by a stormcast that was a copy and paste of a Christian exorcism but with „Sigmar“ instead of god or christ. That really broke the immersion for me and it was frankly bs. I am still angry about it although I read it years ago)

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2

Yeah, Warhammer lore has always been 12-years and up material just like all their games.(which you know, is where you wanna be for a toy soldier franchise)

Thus world-that-was Archaon at “The Shrine of Ultimate Darkness”.

Just accept the narmy bits and enjoy the epic settings all the same. 👍

Edited by Baron Klatz

On 6/8/2022 at 9:58 PM, novakai said:

Well, yeah. That's the point of tie-in fiction. It's to market the intellectual property in question to potential customers who might not otherwise see it. It's the equivalent of Larry Hama's seminal run on GI Joe for Marvel Comics back in ye olden days - GI Joe was a fantastic comic, with well-developed characters and plotlines that deftly treaded the line between realistic and fantastic. It was also a glorified commercial, where Hama was expected to write-in whatever new toy was coming out that month. And sometimes, he erred on the side of the commercial, because that's the job. 

It's the same with BL. Sometimes the authors have more freedom to play with concepts than others. Sometimes an author just feels like playing it safe, because at the end of the day these books aren't written for art's sake - they're a paycheque, written to a 2-3 month deadline. The editors want Stormcast fighting Nighthaunts? Easy-peasy, assemble a three-act story that introduces our characters, sets up the stakes and climaxes in a brawl in a hidden tomb. Fire and forget, move onto the next thing. 

Now, that's not to imply that this is the case in general or even most of the time. But there's always an element of pragmatism to any tie-in project. You have to balance the needs of the story against the needs of the product, and chances are, your employers/clients/etc. will always prefer that you err on the side of the product. 

tldr; you, an author, are given a box and told to write a story about the box and everything in it - but you can't go outside the box. So you have to do what you can, with what you're given, in the time allowed. Some authors will get a bigger box than others; some get a smaller box. Some just get the packing peanuts that came with the box. But the job is always the same - make the most out of what you're given, and try and move some merchandise in the process. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

As a Dwarf player I curious to know if someone have any explicit information about:
1) Valaya status in AoS (is she dead, missed or even never existed?)
2) Why Grungni and Grimnir was tangled to the rock when Sigmar find them.

1) Missing/unspecified, as of two years ago. That might have changed with the new Kharadron/Fyreslayers tomes, though. 

2) Treachery. Whose treachery, and why it took that form, are as yet unknown. Again, as of two years ago. Might have changed since. My money is on Hashut, though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

10 hours ago, JReynolds said:

1) Missing/unspecified, as of two years ago. That might have changed with the new Kharadron/Fyreslayers tomes, though. 

2) Treachery. Whose treachery, and why it took that form, are as yet unknown. Again, as of two years ago. Might have changed since. My money is on Hashut, though. 

So nothing still changed... 
As for Treachery I remember that chains was created by Grungni him self or Teclis. 

I have recently started preparing a Soupbound (I am leaving that typo in) game and I was surprised by how excited my players got for the setting of AoS, which people often call "generic" online as a first descriptor. One player who had some Warhammer Fantasy experience got really excited about the possibility of reinterpreting WHFB stories and characters as myths in a new setting. The other two immediately latched on to some of the weirder parts of the Mortal Realms (Kharadron and Idoneth). Everyone was instantly completely on board with the premise of traveling to the underworlds in Shyish and checking on a newly-founded City of Sigmar there.

Seeing my players' response, I think the setting of AoS has actually become pretty distinctive and interesting. I think it's still pretty appropriate to be unsatisfied with the narrative of AoS, though. Even though it arguably moves at a faster pace and with more meaningful change happening than 40K and WHFB, it still kinda feels like the whole Age of Death didn't result in very much. Ditto for the events of Broken Realms and the currently unfloding Age of the Beast. I hope the wrtiers at GW eventually figure out how to have lasting and impactful change happen in AoS without an event as big and destructive as the End Times.

• Like 12