In your opinion, what is the absolute best Age of Sigmar kit?

Alarielle, Be'lakor, the Slaanesh twins Dexcessa/Synessa, Morathi and Karazai are my favourite centrepiece kits in that order. 

Infernal Enrapturess, Lady of Vines, Eltharion, Arch-Revenant and Bastian Carthalos are my favourite heroes in that order. 

Orruk Brutes, Vanari Wardens, Kurnoth Hunters, Myrmidesh Painbringers and Stormdrake Guard are my favourite line units in that order.

I had to do multiple categories with top fives because I've loved so many kits they've done for AoS, and even with so many spots it was a struggle to narrow them down. It really feels like the designers keeps outdoing themselves every year. 

If I had to pick just one and lose the rest, it'd be Alarielle. It's the model that really sold me on the direction of AoS and is still the one I cherish most in my collection. It helps that Sylvaneth are just top to bottom an amazing range like Nighthaunt. 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 6

It's so hard to choose. There have been a lot of great kits. The first set to really knock my socks off was Warhammer Quest Silver tower. I particularly loved the Ogroid Thaumaturge. 20220528_145456.jpg.a8271e04111a98d9b26bac2905380ce9.jpg

The Ironclad blew my mind. I think the KO reveal trailer is still my favourite Warhammer video. 20220528_145630.jpg.5dec7b47a44d78b47fe3ca8792816fe6.jpg

From the skies to under the sea, the Akhelion King was an exquisite sculpt. 20220528_145654.jpg.2ac72c71b611458e323ec420ffc0005d.jpg

but almost anything from that range is exceptional. 

With second edition the Nighthaunt was another range that amazed me and the black coach is definitely my favourite reimagining of an old kit. 20220528_145020.jpg.a55839475722db32bc2603b51a78a6ab.jpg

This may be a controversial choice but I a absolutely love the stonemage and it's the massive helmet that balances the figure and makes it work. 20220528_145057.jpg.9e91925c3fe022bfcac772b9d24fb731.jpg

Warcry introduced a whole bunch of awesome kits but the Corvus Cabal were easily my favourite. 20220528_145352.jpg.a00c58305bcb92659963559f399058bf.jpg

If I have to choose one kit though, it must be these guys. 20220528_145325.jpg.dcd0880a6a01376067d2a3112f87db8d.jpg

There is so much character and imagination poured into these little grots, it boggles the eye. The most fun I've ever had painting a unit. 

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 2

Archaon was definitely AoS, as mentioned he came with the Varanguard and the Gaunt Summoner. 

My favourite centrepiece model is probably the Eidolon of Mathlann, I really like Katakros, Kroak, and maybe controversially Lauka Vai too. The Kruleboyz vulture and croc thing are great too. I also love the Warsong Revenant. Outside of large models, I think my favourite ‘unit’ is probably the Dread Pageant from underworlds. 

But the best kit, in terms of customisation, aesthetics, paintability, character, everything in combination, is probably the Rockgut Troggoths. They really did knock that one out of the park and I don’t think it’s been matched since. 

Edit: if we include models that came out in WHFB but are still around, I have a soft spot for the Treelord. Really cool aesthetically and a really clever build that offers a lot of customisation. 

Edited by Still-young
  • Like 2

Somewhat controversial opinion and it also took me a little bit of time to get to it but I absolutely love Archmage Teclis and Celennar, Spirit of Hysh. In contrast to center pieces like Archaon or Alarielle where the god-tier character just sits/stands on top of the monster mount Teclis and Celennar really make the impression of a team. And it's also pretty cool how the floating cape builds the connection so Teclis appears to be levitating. Also chad T-pose. Chadlis. Also amazingly detailed base.

Another master piece is of course The Light of Eltharion. They really nailed the empty armor in such a creative way that is also pretty fun to build and comes with a cool ruin base.

But other factions have great kits as well of course! Just a few of my favourites:

- Katakros

- Black Coach

- Drycha Hamadreth

- Alarielle

- Morathi-Khaine and the Shadow Queen

- that big Kharadron ship zeppelin thing

- Megaboss on Mawkrusha

• Like 3

Design of a model and kit are two different things

In terms of kit though, Rockguts by a mile. Believe there's something like 60 variations available, and the models are outstanding, not really a weak bit or piece among them.

Nothing else comes close in a pound for pound contest.

IMG_20220215_221809_485.jpg

• Like 11

On 5/30/2022 at 7:49 PM, Nos said:

Design of a model and kit are two different things

In terms of kit though, Rockguts by a mile. Believe there's something like 60 variations available, and the models are outstanding, not really a weak bit or piece among them.

Nothing else comes close in a pound for pound contest.

IMG_20220215_221809_485.jpg

I fully agree with this. I want to make an honorable mention to the Dankhold Troggoth kit. Its one of the few hero kits that still has different build options or something in between.

While i love the big center piece models when they are finished i dont think some of the kits where that great. The Black Coach was a very different story though. It was easy to do a sub assembly because it clearly has different parts that easily fit together at a later stage. This made it easy to paint for such a large model with a lot of different structures. 

I do like the interchangeability between 40k and AoS greenskinz. I am building Ard boyz from a Beastsnagga kit and different Orruk bits soon. Maybe i'll slap some dakka onto some Savage Orruks too while i'm at it.

AoS needs more kits like these. I love some of the models that can be build in a single way but i miss all the options we used to have building and posing models and make them your own (looking at you Nighthaunt).

Going to try the Kurnoth Hunters kit soon. Looking forward to that one.

Edited by Gitzdee

On 5/28/2022 at 4:15 PM, amysrevenge said:

Aleguzzler Gargant

Savage Orruks

STD Chariot

Those are my three favourites of models currently still for sale I think.

OK, since posting the above, I built my new Best Kit for AOS:  Lord Kroak.  What a delight to build, and it's  wonderful to look at.  Can't wait to start painting it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for the Rockgut Troggoths because of how many options you get to make fairly unique individuals.

I love all of the underworlds warbands too. They give you a nice taste of many different factions without having to commit to collecting the army.

I don't even play underworlds but i collect each one just because the models are so fun.

They often offer great proxies for outdated models.

Edited by AirbrushThreepwood
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 7:37 PM, zilberfrid said:

Celestial Hurricanum. The fanciest horses, four wizards and a lot of just stuff. If you have one, you can make an awesome terrain piece with spares, or magnetize to switch it out.

This is the model that makes me wish I was a better and more patient painter (and didn't already have an enormous pile of grey shame). It is so gorgeous and looks like it would be amazing to really dive into an elaborate paint job. 

• Like 1

Oh excellent responses from all! I’m going to go with the Kharadron Ironclad - breathtakingly awesome. The Eiladon would be a close second. I’m painting a Isharann Tidecaster at the moment and it is just a spectacular model. Many, many incredible models to choose from that’s for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

Oh excellent responses from all! I’m going to go with the Kharadron Ironclad - breathtakingly awesome. The Eiladon would be a close second. I’m painting a Isharann Tidecaster at the moment and it is just a spectacular model. Many, many incredible models to choose from that’s for sure.

I was frankly a bit disappointed with the Ironclad, you don't have any options for customisation except the gun.

6 hours ago, Gailon said:

This is the model that makes me wish I was a better and more patient painter (and didn't already have an enormous pile of grey shame). It is so gorgeous and looks like it would be amazing to really dive into an elaborate paint job. 

It is certainly a subassembly thing, nooks and crannies can get awkward.

1. Ironclad

And whole Kharadron Overlords range to be honest. These are the best dwarfs ever designed 

2. Kurnoth Hunters

Again, whole Sylvaneth range. Every model (maybe except for dryads) is fresh, dynamic and purely awesome.

3. Eidolons

Idoneth deserve a place on the podium. Brave and excellent designs.

Honorable mention - Squig and Troggoth part of Gloomspite Gitz.

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 6/24/2022 at 1:05 PM, Beliman said:

Without any doubt

01.jpg.5c00c20b67f6dda5a36197fa90a106e2.jpg

Ironclad has been mentioned a few times; as I've just finished mine I have to say that the model may be outstanding, but the the flight stand is a glaring designer's mistake. The current stand may (at least for some time) work for a display piece, but for gaming purposes... just fix this, GW.

• Like 1

Keeper of Secrets

Great Unclean One (own three of them)

Beast of Nurgle

Downside of all these models: they can´t really build them in different poses like the mentioned Rock Troggoths. That´s a bit boring if you like to build multiple of them.

The new large SCE DRagon is one of these models that could draw me into a whole new faction. And that is THE reason for best model kit IMO.

• Like 2