Starting from zero - advice on purchase list

amysrevenge

OK, I'm starting a Seraphon army from scratch, with my tax return money coming in soon.

Here's what I've got in my Cart on the GW web store.  Does it look reasonable?  If you had a similar budget, and were starting from scratch, what would you do differently?

For reference, This comes out to about CAD650, USD560, GBP340

• Start Collecting: Seraphon
  • Start Collecting: Skinks
  • Lord Kroak
  • Stegadon
  • Skinks
  • Terradon Riders
  • Saurus Guard

I hemmed and hawed about Kroak vs. Slann plus another box.  Ended up going Rule of Cool for a Kroak.  Could be convinced otherwise.

Ugh, for starters, after typing it out, it's just 7 bucks more to get a second SC: Skinks than a separate box of Skinks and Terradon Riders, so that's change #1.  Hahahaha 

Not as many Skinks, but an extra Bastilodon.

Edited by amysrevenge

7 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

OK, I'm starting a Seraphon army from scratch, with my tax return money coming in soon.

Here's what I've got in my Cart on the GW web store.  Does it look reasonable?  If you had a similar budget, and were starting from scratch, what would you do differently?

For reference, This comes out to about CAD650, USD560, GBP340

• Start Collecting: Seraphon
  • Start Collecting: Skinks
  • Lord Kroak
  • Stegadon
  • Skinks
  • Terradon Riders
  • Saurus Guard

I hemmed and hawed about Kroak vs. Slann plus another box.  Ended up going Rule of Cool for a Kroak.  Could be convinced otherwise.

What’s your goal with the army? Casual collecting or Competitive Crush All Comers List? How much effort are you willing to put into it?

I always advise patience if you aren’t 100% decided on a list (ex. A Battleforce or similar box may be a really good deal).

Lizardmen also have a good number of lots on eBay that with some TLC can be a cheaper deal 

ETA: On Kroak vs other Slann, you can always run Kroak as a Counts As.

Edited by Fairbanks
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

I painted a SC box for a local store demo a few years ago and really liked doing the cold one dudes, that's the motivation there.  Haha

The Saurus Guard look much rougher than the Drakespawn, they look like metal minis. If you know Cities players that use chariots, chances are they are not using the Drakespawn.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

What’s your goal with the army? Casual collecting or Competitive Crush All Comers List? How much effort are you willing to put into it?

I always advise patience if you aren’t 100% decided on a list (ex. A Battleforce or similar box may be a really good deal).

Lizardmen also have a good number of lots on eBay that with some TLC can be a cheaper deal 

ETA: On Kroak vs other Slann, you can always run Kroak as a Counts As.

Goal:  Two part.  Fun hobby, plus occasional games against 40k players who dabble in AoS (and who I can usually at least match with any stack of ****** I choose to play - I won our escalation league a couple years back with Savage Orruks minus Arrowboys)

Patience:  I have the spousely green light to go now, so I'm a-gonna go now.  Haha.

eBay: I don't really do eBay these days. Lol

Proxy: does Kroak have the same base size as a Slann?  I actually haven't looked that up.  Wait, I'm on the internet... [pause] No, it looks like Slann is 50mm and Kroak is 80mm.  But I could definitely do it in the sort of casual games I usually play.  Or maybe do something crazy with two bases and magnets?  I like crazy...