Best flying units for Age of Sigmar

I've been hankering for a fast flying army.  What are some ideas for such an army in AoS?  My first thoughts were perhaps a Tzeentch Screamer themed army, and those are battleline with a Hosts Arcanum.  They're kinda weak overall though but would be cheap and plentiful.  Guess Enlightened on Discs are a possibility?

Or what about Morghasts for a Death army, maybe OBR?  More elite tanky types and not as fast but pretty nasty in halberds I think.  Not sure if they're battleline IF under any occasion though.

Of course the IDK eels and sharks seem to fit the bill too.  I've been eaten and electrocuted by them, but never tried them myself.

Any other units that might be good flying battleliners?  Seems like Stormcast should have something like that but I think they mostly just deepstrike or ride dragons and I'm not keen on doing just a few Stormdrakes.

Oh duh, hadn't thought of KO.  I like gold :D

Nighthaunt is definitely a great looking choice too!  Hmmm, I don't have a Death army yet, and I imagine I could ally in Morghasts to Nighthaunt?

KO would jive with my Dispossessed.  And both would prevent me from dirtying my soul with Aelvish models.

No rush of course, I'm content to see how the new battletomes pan out and wait for cheap deals.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Oh duh, hadn't thought of KO.  I like gold :D

Nighthaunt is definitely a great looking choice too!  Hmmm, I don't have a Death army yet, and I imagine I could ally in Morghasts to Nighthaunt?

KO would jive with my Dispossessed.  And both would prevent me from dirtying my soul with Aelvish models.

No rush of course, I'm content to see how the new battletomes pan out and wait for cheap deals.  

Thryng is made to work with Disposessed, and Gyros fit even better in the theme.

Though Nighthaunt are also pretty.

16 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Any other units that might be good flying battleliners?  Seems like Stormcast should have something like that but I think they mostly just deepstrike or ride dragons and I'm not keen on doing just a few Stormdrakes.

Stormcasts do also have Prosecutors as a battleline option with the Tempest Lords subfaction. Although if you're not super keen on stormdrakes then you might find the troop choices lacking if you want to go all flying. There are enough flying heroes to be getting on with, but flying troop choices outside of stormdrakes are limited to just two flavours of Prosecutor and Aetherwings. Would be pretty cool to see an all flying army though, and would be quite reliable for charges since Prosecutors charge with 3d6, and tempest lords lets you reroll one die for the charge on all your flying units.

Edited by Dogmantra
  • Like 1

• Subscriber

I don't know about "best" in game terms, but one option I didn't see mentioned is Maggotkin of Nurgle. Not the fastest, but can do all flying units quite easily. 

99129915017_PlagueDrones01.jpg

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/plague-drones-of-nurgle-2017

99120201073_PusgoyleBlightlords01.jpg

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Nurgle-Rotbringers-Pusgoyle-Blightlords-2018

Both units can be taken as Battleline with the right sub-faction or having Lord of Afflictions as leader. 

I'm sure you could maybe ally in some Nurgle marked StD as well, such as a flying Daemon Prince or Sorcerer on Manticore and have the whole thing as flying. 

As a bonus I think the Daemon Plague Toads of Nurgle also have the Fly rule, so have them bounding alongside your winged monsters. 

Edited by SunStorm
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Ooh, I totally forgot about the rotflies.   Those are pretty awesome!  Gonna have to look at the Plague Toads too.  Like that movie FROGS!  .

Do note that plague toads are Forge World, with the quality, customer service and rules support you can expect from them.

I'd lok for alternate sculpts.

Nighthaunt. 

The whole army flies. The whole army can retreat and charge. Multiple units can innately teleport. There's a hero that can teleport himself and a friendly unit, and there's another hero that can duplicate that ability to slingshot itself and another unit across the board. Almost everything (there's like two exceptions) in the army moves at least 8", and there's one unit that can move 24". They inflict random, awesome debuffs - such as strikes last - on units they charge. Hell, you can even ambush/deep strike a couple units for free. 

They are the flying army, and have more mobility tricks than almost any other faction - and did I mention it's an army of GHOSTS!? 

Say it with me;
Nighthaunt. 

On 5/9/2022 at 10:37 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

I've been hankering for a fast flying army.  What are some ideas for such an army in AoS?  My first thoughts were perhaps a Tzeentch Screamer themed army, and those are battleline with a Hosts Arcanum.  They're kinda weak overall though but would be cheap and plentiful.  Guess Enlightened on Discs are a possibility?

Or what about Morghasts for a Death army, maybe OBR?  More elite tanky types and not as fast but pretty nasty in halberds I think.  Not sure if they're battleline IF under any occasion though.

Of course the IDK eels and sharks seem to fit the bill too.  I've been eaten and electrocuted by them, but never tried them myself.

Buy yourself a doomwheel.

get a some kind of a skaven warlock.

give him the spell levitate.

laugh at your frenemy when he looses all of his heroes, do to a single doomwheel having flown over his entire army, twice! (Movement and charge phase)

Edited by Skreech Verminking

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Buy yourself a doomwheel.

get a some kind of a skaven warlock.

give him the spell levitate.

laugh at your frenemy when he looses all of his heroes, do to a single doomwheel having flown over his entire army, twice! (Movement and charge phase)

Hopefully, the Warlock can ride said doomwheel in the new book!

Soulblight can do a similar thing to gristlegore with battleline dragons and terrogheists with a subfaction as well as various flavours of flying vampires and some flocks of angry bats to fly alongside them. Plus you can have Manfred or Neferata zooming about of their skeletal hoverbikes monster steeds and if you want an extra bit of fun in narrative the anvil of apotheosis for soulblight can let you make someone who literally turns into a bat.

Otherwise an all squig gloomspite force technically flies (bounces) everywhere and you get the rule of cool of being a space hopper army.