The Warlords - Nico's Battle Reports

Nico

When you have a long line of 30+ clanrats engaged in combat with multiple units, like in the last battrep, how do you decide where to allocate the hits? Say you have 91 attacks after buffs - in the last game, there was 3 units of Judicators, a Relictor and a Stardrake enaged at the same time. Spears have a 2" range, so in a few cases, you might be able to be selective. How do you decide to split up those 91 attacks?   

When you have a long line of 30+ clanrats engaged in combat with multiple units, like in the last battrep, how do you decide where to allocate the hits? Say you have 91 attacks after buffs - in the last game, there was 3 units of Judicators, a Relictor and a Stardrake enaged at the same time. Spears have a 2" range, so in a few cases, you might be able to be selective. How do you decide to split up those 91 attacks?  

I used blades not spears. The Clanrats can fight in 2 ranks and the Stormvermin in 3 ranks. I spread them out approximately to suck in as many units as possible (bearing in mind that if you kill 3 Judicators another one might flee anyway). The real kicker was having Death Frenzy on an expendable 180 point unit. I actively wanted the enemy to pile in and wipe out the unit in melee, whether in my turn or theirs, such that I got to attack with each model twice with full buffs. None of my opponents presented a narrow frontage. 

Then I would simply buff the next wave and repeat.

Sunday - Game 6 - Mark Wildman

Game 6 and another big name! Game 6 and would you believe it a sixth gunline/bunker army (7 if you include the practice game).

This was a bad match up for me as fanatics would delay my charges, but I had beaten another Moonclan list earlier, so I was reasonably confident. I knew that the blocks of 40 Grots could put out substantial damage as well and the legendary Nathan Prescott had mentioned some broken combo with the Warboss which deleted Big Daddy Archaon....

• 80 Moonclan Grots
  • 30? Moonclan Archers
  • 2 Shamen
  • Warboss with Battlebrew
  • Colossal Squig
  • Squigs and herders
  • Warboss on Wyvern (not Maw Krusha)
  • 2 Bolt Throwers
  • I think Mark had at least two ones and a 3 and a 4 of fanatics.

Battleplan and Deployment

It was take and hold - normally a good battleplan for me, but not against so many models and fanatics. Mark predictably walled off. I hid heroes in cover where possible (there's hardly any cover at all at Warhammer World which can be frustrating). I knew I would be sending in the Expendables first (the 30 Clanrats).

Battleround 1

I think Mark decided to take turn one and tried to shoot off Sayl - his artillery had some reroll from having more than one of them; and the Bellowing Shout buff from his Warboss. Sayl clung on nevertheless. He shuffled around a bit with his troops.

I buffed up the Expendables and sent them to 3 inches away from his army. They did have Death Frenzy and I explained what this did (like Bloodwarriors) to him earlier.

IMG_6012.JPG

The Verminlord went forward. I think i tried to mystic shield him. The others shuffled forward.

Mark committed two lone fanatics to ensure that he made his charge to pin the expendables. I was out of 4 inches so I wasn't able to connect with his Grots behind when I piled in to nail the Fanatics.

Battleround 2

Mark won the iniatiative. He blasted the Verminlord with an vast amount of spells and damage from the Warboss's shooting attack (it's impossible to overstate how broken Battle Brew is - it should be one use per game). The Verminlord clung on somehow.

Mark sent in the big unit of Grots on my right with the big combo. They deleted most of the Clanrats. However, Death Frenzy meant I piled in and deleted his unit (even with the netters) - with the aid of the Battleshock test. We basically traded one junk unit each. Mark later said he wouldn't have attacked the Clanrats had he known (remembered) this. That said, I'm not sure how that would have helped. I could have part buffed them and part buffed the Stormvermin, and activated the unit facing his buffed unit first. Even with fanatics stopping me charge, the 2 inch range Stormvermin would be only 3 inches away and could pile in and attack the Grots behind.

IMG_6017.JPG

In my turn I believe I must have failed the cast roll on Sayl's spell. The Stormvermin and Archaon moved to engage with the Colossal Squig coming around the left flank.

IMG_6023.JPG

Battleround 3

Mark won the iniatiative  again. He shot off the Verminlord and possibly Sayl as well. His gamble on taking the first turn had well and truly paid off. The Colossal Squig attempted to charge, but failed, leaving it stranded.

In my turn, I cast Sayl's spell on the Clanrats and sent them towards the Grots. I probably got some of the models into the Archers despite being pinned by the Fanatics.

The Stormvermin largely decimated the Colossal Squig. The Squig did minor damage to the Archaon. Archaon swung the Slayer of Kings and felled the beast (I got the two sixes, but didn't need it as it only had a few wounds left).

IMG_6024.JPG

Battleround 4 

Mark won the initiative for the third time in a row. He shot the Stormvermin and killed a few. He must have buffed up the Grots and decimated the 40 Clanrats (who didn't have Death Frenzy). I killed a good 10 out of the 40 of them and probably some of the Archers as well.

Mark also sent his Wyvern to go threaten my objective and specifically Tretch. He made the charge into Tretch, but on a 2+ I could flee, which I did. He should have charged the Stormvermin instead. The Squigs also moved out to the middle to threaten my objective.

IMG_6027.JPG

In my turn, I scrambled to defend my objective with the Clanrats and spread out the heroes, as one model alive would prevent a major victory for him. Archaon ran into the middle facing the Squigs and the Stormvermin took on the Grots.

The Stormvermin butchered the Grots (and the Arrow Grots).

IMG_6028.JPG

Battleround 5

Mark buffed his Warboss and took a double swig of the Battle Brew (+3 to hit and +2 to wound, exploding attacks on 3s and double damage on 4s to wound). This is just a joke! Between his shooting attacks, other spells and his ridiculous melee attacks, he wiped out the Stormvermin. The Wyvern went for one of my Warlords. Archaon chopped up a few squigs. He nearly died in response due to mortal wounds back. Just for confirmation, it's mortal wounds when the Squigs flee, not when they die.

I think the Wyvern killed the Warlord. I must have miscounted the turns somewhere, as I think I might have gone first in the final battleround. Then again if I did go first, why didn't I kill the Warboss and artillery with the Stormvermin.

Mark won a minor victory. We both killed a lot. Mark was fun to play against. He sent me on a fast dice rolling course (I think I need to stop saying what I need to roll before I roll the dice).

Mark played it well and capitalised on his luck. Losing repeated initiative rolls against Fanatics is truly awful. Mark got away with wasting his Colossal Squig and underusing his Wyvern. Mark was also done a big favour by the supposed ban on Balewind Vortices (why was this not announced on the loudspeaker?) mid-tournament- I could have sniped his infernal Warlord or the crew of his Bolt Throwers otherwise.  

Some small consolation came from the thought that Mark's list would suffer horrifically from Prosecutor and Judicator spam in the future - nailing 20 Grots and watching the other 20 flee - the shift to gunline meta is a fight that Grots are bound to lose in the end. 

Conclusion

I came in 30th overall (Major, Minor, Loss, Major, Major, Loss) - the loss in the final game costing me 19 spots. Rob came ahead of me in 24th and Tom slightly behind, but a decent overall showing by the South London Legion. More importantly, out noble team of 3 came second in the pub quiz (we lost a second tie break - my dice rolling)!

My luck overall balanced out (I was too lucky against Lee and James when I didn't need it but lost key initiative rolls against Bryan and Mark when I did need it). The list performed pretty well against gunlines and bunkers thanks to the power of the combo, the underrated Verminlord Warbringer and people not realising how dangerous the Expendables were.

Six great games overall and 6 awesome opponents. It was frustrating that I didn't get a single melee oriented army as an opponent (Bloodbound and Ironjawz especially) as that would have suited the list far better (only Tomb Kings would have been able to match the concentrated melee damage output and durability of the list).

The organisation of the event and the little details - like detachable score sheet sections to hand in and goody bags were superb. Bugmans was great - milkshakes own. i can't recommend going to Warhammer World or their events enough.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2016 at 5:00 PM, Nico said:

As an aside we realised that his Eye of Ed Sheeran is mandatory, so if you roll a one, then your opponent can reroll his misses.

Guessing you've already seen this but the legacy Archaon's Ed Sheeran doesn't let your opponent reroll misses (current Archaon's has different wording).  Nice report too.

The Eye of Sheerian:In your hero phase, roll a dice and note the result. Until your next hero phase, whenever an enemy scores a hit on Archaon and the result of the hit roll is the number you rolled, the Eye of Sheerian has forewarned him of the attack and your opponent must re-roll the dice.

Guessing you've already seen this but the legacy Archaon's Ed Sheeran doesn't let your opponent reroll misses (current Archaon's has different wording).  Nice report too.

The Eye of Sheerian:In your hero phase, roll a dice and note the result. Until your next hero phase, whenever an enemy scores a hit on Archaon and the result of the hit roll is the number you rolled, the Eye of Sheerian has forewarned him of the attack and your opponent must re-roll the dice.

Good spot - we were fixated on the end of the sentence.

Thanks.

Archived