AoS3 Skaven where to start?

Laiyna

Hi,

I am an old player (1995 last game) coming back, but I am not sure where to start now with a new army, asking here looked like the best option for me for some help if anybody is willing.

I have 1 box of clan rats and 1 box of rat ogres/rats/handlers, I can guess I need the terrain piece and faction spells. But where to go from there?

The starting box (rebuluit it to a bell and gun and toss the monks in box?) and buy some more clan rats? tbh not sure where to start...

Any help would be welcome, I am looking for about 2000 to 3000 points competive.

Starter box is fine. I haven't played a lot AoS, but there's a unit that I allways see on skaven armies: Stormfiends. You'll need at least a box of them

If you want 3rd party miniatures, prove with Emang, Resinwarfare, Punga, and *sigh* Mantic, which offer better prices and sometimes better models instead of the old ones. 

Then, again, as a noobie I can´t tell you where to go next. I would recommend maybe the Screaming bell, which is also a normal must-include, and a Master Moulder if you're going to put rat ogres. I think the monks are fine, as well as you run them on units of 20 miniatures. To put together your list and see if it's legal, you can allways check on Battlescribe. There are now some limits to how many reinforced units you can have

That said, beware because maybe (MAYBE) this summer skaven are going to receive a new battletome, and I guess GW will launch boxes with offers. There's nothing confirmed yet, um

• Like 1

Youll typically want another box of Clanrats or Stormvermin if you arent planning to spec into one of the great clans, i wouldnt worry about getting the spells or terrain right away, they wont be needed in small games as much as more furry bodies :D

New army book coming soon though, so everything is kinda up in the air, you cant go too far wrong with a couple of boxes of things you like the look of! 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 7:03 AM, Laiyna said:

Hi,

I am an old player (1995 last game) coming back, but I am not sure where to start now with a new army, asking here looked like the best option for me for some help if anybody is willing.

I have 1 box of clan rats and 1 box of rat ogres/rats/handlers, I can guess I need the terrain piece and faction spells. But where to go from there?

The starting box (rebuluit it to a bell and gun and toss the monks in box?) and buy some more clan rats? tbh not sure where to start...

Any help would be welcome, I am looking for about 2000 to 3000 points competive.

I will buy the Plague Monks if you're in the USA.  I need to convert them to Acolytes.  

I would recommend the terrain, as popping up in various places, or psychologically pinning your opponent to guarding those, can be useful, plus they look super cool! 

For Skaven-United, a Screaming Bell is excellent for keeping your hordes from scurrying.  I also might recommend a Verminlord Warpseer, and probably a few Skryre Weapons Teams (my understanding is they can now hide in big units, pop out and shoot stuff).  If you have the points a Warlock Engineer might be good for those to augment their performance with Warpspark...a Doomwheel makes for a fast shock unit that can also put out a good amount of suppressive firepower when Warpsparked. 

An Eshin Deathmaster is good for hiding in units too and sneakily tackling weak unsuspecting heros.

Rat ogors can be really good but they suffer from the big base size and coherency/weapon range issues.

Rumor has it that the next Chaos tome will be Skaven, and given the new Underworlds box and those amazing new Eshin models, I'm foolishly hopeful that's a true rumor!  Also hoping they fix the stupid battleline requirements Skaven currently have, and somehow give them either extra reinforcement points or just say Battleline units do not need reinforcement points. 

So for a new Skaven player I'd recommend collect-build your army now with stuff you like that works reasonably well together now, and THEN when the new book comes out get that and tweek-squeak as needed with your units.

• Like 1

Thanks sofar for the advice, orderd some small stuff, and I gone see where it leads me, the demon looks like good advice and managed to snag up a box of Gnawholes.

New book would be nice I think, hope it will come soon.

Sofar got:

60 clanrats

20 stormvermin

20 monks

1 Screaming Bel, Warp Cannon

2 Doomflayer

1 ratling gun

1 grey seer (on foot)

2 rat ogors

And I found in my bits bin an Old Doomwheel, so that could be fun :)

More advice welcome, thanks all for all replays and help sofar!

Laiyna

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 10:45 PM, Laiyna said:

Thanks sofar for the advice, orderd some small stuff, and I gone see where it leads me, the demon looks like good advice and managed to snag up a box of Gnawholes.

New book would be nice I think, hope it will come soon.

Sofar got:

60 clanrats

20 stormvermin

20 monks

1 Screaming Bel, Warp Cannon

2 Doomflayer

1 ratling gun

1 grey seer (on foot)

2 rat ogors

And I found in my bits bin an Old Doomwheel, so that could be fun :)

More advice welcome, thanks all for all replays and help sofar!

Laiyna

That ain’t a bad start.

my advice would be to just buy the stuff you really want to field.

ps: if you’re also somebody who enjoys converting, don’t hold yourself back, skaven have a huge potential when it comes down to that

8BD72EF6-C343-424E-B4F2-5A96934C19C9.jpeg

56ADFA8D-F299-495B-8B52-81C6884C606E.jpeg

078DBD16-D118-4B46-9763-FB9C87C4A11B.jpeg

04AC9C2B-018B-47C2-A247-11ECD946A3B8.jpeg

F9F84E29-52A1-44DF-88B7-33CA7F2C7FE4.jpeg

• Like 1