2k Flesh Eater advice

Hampshire Hammerers

Am Hoping for some advice on an army list I'm taking to an upcoming event. I'm not a very competitive player, but love playing pure FEC. Played a clubmate last night & got destroyed, pretty sure it's because of my (lack of) understanding of how the army works. I got beaten up by a heavy amount of ranged mortal wound damage. So I've got some questions about my list: ( artefacts have to be rolled at this event btw)

Ghoul King on terrorgheist with ruler of the night
- [ ] 400

Ghoul King
- [ ] 100

Crypt Ghast Courtier 
- [ ] 80

Crypt Haunter Courtier
- [ ] 120

20x Ghouls

20x Ghouls

20x Ghouls
- [ ] 600

3x crypt flayers
- [ ] 160

6x crypt horrors
- [ ] 280

Varghulf 
- [ ] 160

- [ ] Ghoul patrol 

- [ ] 100

So, first of all, why does everyone take the Zombie Dragon as a mount over the terrorgheist? I find the Unholy vigour spell, scream & command ability ( to summon my flayers ) essential  compared to the dragons' abilities.

Also, though the patrol is powerful, my ghouls never seem to last long. Should I be going 30,10,10 instead? ( or 30,20,10? )

finally, is there a unit/combo I'm missing that should be on here? I see Abbatoir is popular.

Thanks,

J

Looks like a decent enough list, so it should be competitive without going all out on the cheese. I would recommend either adding more ghouls or moving them around to get them up to units of thirty (30-20-10). Keep the large units within range of the courtier so that you can use both the six rolls from his ability plus the d6 you regenerate from each unit as well. That should keep them alive for a while. Ohh, and don't forget to pick two magic items. Ring of Immortality is great for your general since you want to keep him alive long enough to summon the Flayers, though the Cloak of Mist and Shadows (or something like that) is also nifty for a first turn charge with the terrorgheist into a nice squishy target. You get an additional one because of the battalion, so you can choose an item for another of your heroes as well.

As for the ZD/TG, it boils down to a better spell, and more attacks (7 at full health vs the Terrorgheists 4), plus a breath weapons that works regardless of bravery (which is nice if you're facing Death, Seraphon, or other armies with a high bravery). Not to mention that the AGKoTG's spell is pretty much a freebie with the undead vigour + ruler of the night (though the spell will stack with that save if you get it off). 

I'd need to check that in the GC later, but generally all models counts as "within x" of themselves. So yeah, I'd play it so that you first get your regular armour save, then the Unholy Vitality, and then the Death ability + Ruler of the night save. So for the AGKoTG, 4+ followed by 5+ followed by 5+, if he cast Unholy Vitality on himself.

Do that, then pop his Cloak of Mist and Shadows and teleport him into the center of your opponents army and watch your friends disappear like mist in the sunlight :D

Regarding the placement; pay CLOSE attention to the mission criteria. I've often found that it's better to place them on my table edge as I would with normal deployment (though in the first movement phase). Even though you can come in from the sides or opponents side, it does not mean that it's the best idea. Ghouls need support too.

Ive been playing a similar FEC list to yours,though ive been using fewer Ghouls (3x10) and the Abatiour battalion plus a Mournghoul.Im thinking of switching things up,exchanging the Crypt Horrors and Crypt Haunter for more Ghouls a Courtier and running the patrol like you are doing:)

Overall though with my current list rendition,im 3 wins(at point values below 2k) and one loss.One thing ive found that really makes the FEC a tough army is to keep them all blobbed up,keep the 5+ ward bubble up and try and keep the GK on ZD "Black Hunger" spell up giving the wound rerolls.

Archived