WIP on the sea elves

Derek

Hey guys, so diving into a new army and I want to share my work In progress with you guys.  I know a turtle army is probably the worst choice but I’m a big smashy  monster player at heart so I dove straight into it.   So far I have one turtle built and mostly painted,  working on the crew once I get the paints I need for them.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Continued work on the turtles.  The second one is part way finished.  But while working on the riders for the first one the blood god took his due and I earned myself a deep battlescare from my hobby knife putting me behind in the building process.  But I’m that much closer to getting the 3 turtle army on the table 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

So work continues. On the turtles.  Slicing my finger open sucks since I’m restricted on being able to build and paint things since I use my right hand to hold things and I can’t get the best grip right now due to my finger being useless.  ( it’s amazing how much I use my right pointer finger as a lefty).  Been messing with dry brushing the water on the bases and for the 3rd and final turtle I went with an all water base thinking that it would look more exciting to switch up the basing.   Hope you all enjoy.  3rd turtle will be painted most likely next week and then I start work on 10 sharks and 2 kings.  I don’t have confidence in my ability to paint up the crew of the turtles so I’m trying to avoid that as much as possible.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/16/2022 at 3:58 PM, Derek said:

Funny enough the turtle skin is gw’s paint scheme.   

On 3/16/2022 at 3:58 PM, Derek said:

And thanks I appreciate the compliments.  Super excited to get it on the table.

Right, but you pulled it off so it looks exactly the same. That's nice work.

What are you thinking of taking for a leader(s) with three turtles? A King and maybe something else?

@Chronos  I was planning on a king and a tidecaster or lotann.  And I appreciate the compliments,  it’s really encouraging me to keep going.  Currently I’m working on some sharks.  I’ll post the work on them in the next few days.  Needed to stop on the turtles for a few days and handle some life stuff, and then a scheme for the sharks popped in my head. 

Wild. This bro is going the Nautilar route first. I like the water and the sand. Did you use water effect to shape it? Also… 3 turtles. Don’t feel bad about wanting to run a list like that. I see you consider Lotann and the Tidecaster with them. Also look at the Eidolon of the sea. Yes that’s another hefty points increase, but you can benefit from a ridiculous amount of healing. Have some magic defense, which is your biggest weakness and you can use the spell combo with the nautilar monster rampage for a nasty save destroying wipe. You could also throwing that one turtle in a tanky unit. Target the sea Eidolon on a save stacker and throw the other turtle on that one. Another option ofc is going Tidecaster with perhaps 2 units of reavers. No one needs to tell you, you need bodies. Could do Lotann with 2 sharks as well, but you’ll be wasting command trait and artefact. Honestly feel because of points i feel reavers are the way to go here with a Tidecaster. You add bodies, and add to your shooting, turtles can screen reavers, you can take rituals to support namarti or just for the turtles. You can drop a second boat far up the field, i think you’ll enjoy it. Make sure you benefit from getting bonus VP on battle tactics. That’s your best shot of winning.

Edited by That Guy

@That Guy  yea,  when I saw turtles as battleline I went for it, not the best list out there but I do like your idea of the eidolon of the sea and a tide caster or swap the tide caster for lotann and get that sweet +1 to wound on the turtle attacks.  When I get this army on the table it’ll be a blast to play I’m sure.   And yes I did use water texture.   Specifically Vallejo water texture.  It was a little weird to use since it doesn’t look the way it does when it’s dry when you apply it.  Did the waves with a butter knife/normal kitchen knife by pressing down and lifting up and the sand is also Vallejo ground texture grey sand.  

image.jpg

Edited by Derek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek said:

@That Guy  yea,  when I saw turtles as battleline I went for it, not the best list out there but I do like your idea of the eidolon of the sea and a tide caster or swap the tide caster for lotann and get that sweet +1 to wound on the turtle attacks.  When I get this army on the table it’ll be a blast to play I’m sure.   And yes I did use water texture.   Specifically Vallejo water texture.  It was a little weird to use since it doesn’t look the way it does when it’s dry when you apply it.  Did the waves with a butter knife/normal kitchen knife by pressing down and lifting up and the sand is also Vallejo ground texture grey sand.  

image.jpg

Very nice! I use that one as well actually.

Hey everyone.  Sorry for the lack of updates recently,  I’ve been slapped by all the life stuff that comes along with being an adult.   Not much to show off today.  I’ve built and got the first layer of paint ( which I mean primed)  on my 3rd turtle got some paint on my akhelian king and started working on my second allopex.   Hoped to be further along with this project but My wife and I have been scramble packing to move to our new place before we go on vacation in a few weeks.  

So hopefully I will be back in the regular swing of things in the next couple of weeks.    Definitely a lot of clean up work to do and a long road ahead of me,  as coming down the line I have 14 more sharks 50 thralls 50 reavers a second king, volturnos, both versions of the eidolon 2 tide casters, 3 soulrenders, 1 soul scryer, and finally to wrap up this long project before I purchase more 2 akhelian thrall masters.    Until then though I hope you enjoy what I have to show off.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys.  So not a lot of progress made since my last update.  So far I have been working on the crews for the allopexes,  have also hit armor color indecision,   I was starting with a red color but then I tried out akhelian green contrast paint on the crews for the allopex’s and love it so I’m thinking that’s the color I’m sticking to for these guys and most likely the thralls and reavers.  I also did some dry brushing on my turtles shells.  Hope you all find some inspiration for your deepkin i apologize that my paint jobs aren’t the cleanest,  this isn’t my favorite part of the hobby and it definitely shows in how not amazing my paint jobs come out.  Oh also I challenged my local crowd to do display boards since we have quite a few amazing painters and while I will never beat them in painting I can at least give them a good challenge with display boards since they don’t do them.   And I also picked up some dice for my deepkin army from baronofdice.com I like the deep purple blue and gold combination and now I don’t have to use my dark angels dice when I play this army.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Love the developments my guy. Truely good work on the paintjobs. I'm still hesitating myself what I'll do. I'm a big fan of fuethan so i've been considering Orange with Lava esque  / boiling waters of some kind. I'm not sure yet. I got the transparent water texture from Vallejo, so I can mix in any pigment I want. As for the sharks (which are my absolute favorite unit) I want to convert a few riding on waves or inside a wave/gulf. For the later part I want to cut up 1 of the side fins and sculpt/ find a wave fitting for the allopex bases. Then I want to reapply the cut fin on the other side of the wave. Basically I want to create the effect that the fin goes through the wave itself. I want to create several of these conversions. I just don't have any good idea yet how i would create/buy a gulf big enough and fitting for the base, while also being able to support the allopex body. As for now I was thinking of just adding like a ruins stone of some sort below the allopex, to support the body from below. If you have any ideas, or anyone. Please tell me.

Edited by That Guy

You could try 3d printing the wave but other than that I’m not entirely sure what you could do.   I appreciate the compliments,  normally I try to get the local commission painter to do my stuff but oddly enough he turned down the work so guess I’m on my own grinding away slowly.