New player looking for feedback for list

pontiff

Hi all. I'm completely new to age of sigmar. I decided to go with soulblight gravelords Kastelai dynasty because I love the look of Blood Knights. I'm going to start off with a 1k list due to budgetary reasons and would like feedback from the experts on here regarding that list:

List:

Prince Vhordrai(general)

5 BK

5 BK

3 vargheists

I was considering wolves instead of varghiests for screening and objective sitting but they don't benefit from kastelai abilities since that only targets vampires

• LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, pontiff said:

was considering wolves instead of varghiests

With Gravelords you‘ll always have to consider a lot of different options and playstyles… and will get a lot of advice in all directions

(🤔except for black knights, only GW thinks you should field them)

purist bloodknights is possible, maybe a vangorian hero or the coven throne 🤔

a second VloZd (FEC start collecting box) with more Vargheist and 10 wanna be zombies 

but your list looks cool, just throw it on the table and get used to it. Then you can make an informed decision what path you’ll want to walk. Belladamma is great, Mannfred is funny, guards are strong, all the different styles can be explored when craving and spending money is available 

9 hours ago, pontiff said:

Hi all. I'm completely new to age of sigmar. I decided to go with soulblight gravelords Kastelai dynasty because I love the look of Blood Knights. I'm going to start off with a 1k list due to budgetary reasons and would like feedback from the experts on here regarding that list:

List:

Prince Vhordrai(general)

5 BK

5 BK

3 vargheists

I was considering wolves instead of varghiests for screening and objective sitting but they don't benefit from kastelai abilities since that only targets vampires

It's fine to have a few units in your list that don't benefit directly from your sub-allegiance. It will probably make your lists better, in fact. So I'd say go for those wolves if you want them.

The Vargheists are very thematic. They can hit hard and can get around fast too. You may have a good job getting to objectives with them, but and issue holding them. 

Grabbing some wolves may be good for actually holding down those objectives.

Both are good choices. The vargheists are more thematic and those bonuses could be juicy. But dire wolves can help you build up a new army if you shift focus from the Kastelai in the future.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

But do consider the wolves are prettier than the Vargheists!

I think you need the bodies as well.

True and I'm leaning to the wolves to protect my elite units. Too many shooty armies are going to annihilate my knights and lord before they reach combat. I can only add 10 models of wolves before I reach cap at 980pts. Is one unit of wolves enough?

2 hours ago, Avatar Rage said:

The Vargheists are very thematic. They can hit hard and can get around fast too. You may have a good job getting to objectives with them, but and issue holding them. 

Grabbing some wolves may be good for actually holding down those objectives.

Both are good choices. The vargheists are more thematic and those bonuses could be juicy. But dire wolves can help you build up a new army if you shift focus from the Kastelai in the future.

I am thinking long term as I'm only going to be investing in this army for years. I dont plan to switch dynasties as I like vampire purist army. Is an aggressive list bad for objective games if I have to DPS to knock opponent off objectives?

9 hours ago, Honk said:

With Gravelords you‘ll always have to consider a lot of different options and playstyles… and will get a lot of advice in all directions

(🤔except for black knights, only GW thinks you should field them)

purist bloodknights is possible, maybe a vangorian hero or the coven throne 🤔

a second VloZd (FEC start collecting box) with more Vargheist and 10 wanna be zombies 

but your list looks cool, just throw it on the table and get used to it. Then you can make an informed decision what path you’ll want to walk. Belladamma is great, Mannfred is funny, guards are strong, all the different styles can be explored when craving and spending money is available 

I do plan on adding a vengorian lord and coven throne once I make the jump to 2k. I just dont want to spend money on units that dont enhance or help my list. These models are expensive and I dont want that investment wasted

With Vhordrai as your general you have nobody to put the Command trait and Artefact on, and Kastelai have access to some good ones (in particular Rousing Commander).

You should invest in a second, generic hero for this.

A Wight King on Steed is a good option; he's cheap whilst being fairly tanky himself (7 wounds on a 3+ save) and has the movement to keep up with the Blood Knights.

If you want to keep the Vampire theme, the generic Vampire Lord is slightly less tanky but provides a second spell caster.

As much as I'd like to have a 2nd vamp lord on dragon or coven throne, I dont have the pts for it. I really have to emphasize the 1k limit because of monetary reasons.

I have considered the wight but doesnt he mesh better with skeletons and GG than vampires. He also would remove my ability to include direwolves as I'd be over 1k

20 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

With Vhordrai as your general you have nobody to put the Command trait and Artefact on, and Kastelai have access to some good ones (in particular Rousing Commander).

You should invest in a second, generic hero for this.

A Wight King on Steed is a good option; he's cheap whilst being fairly tanky himself (7 wounds on a 3+ save) and has the movement to keep up with the Blood Knights.

If you want to keep the Vampire theme, the generic Vampire Lord is slightly less tanky but provides a second spell caster.

As much as I'd like to have a 2nd vamp lord on dragon or coven throne, I dont have the pts for it. I really have to emphasize the 1k limit because of monetary reasons.

I have considered the wight but doesnt he mesh better with skeletons and GG than vampires. He also would remove my ability to include direwolves as I'd be over 1k

12 hours ago, pontiff said:

By Vampire Lord I meant the 140 point foot hero.

I would probably drop the Vargheists as they're not all that great, you can flank with one unit of Blood Knights anyway.

Getting Rousing Commander up puts your Blood Knights up to 3 damage on the charge and 4 wounds a piece, and puts Vhordrai's lance up to 5 damage.